Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Can a Battery Provide 220 Volts?   Next in Forum: TNC Switch for ACBs
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments

Good Answers: 1

Three-Phase to Single-Phase Conversion

02/05/2010 8:15 AM

Hello All. I want to convert the output of my 3P generator to 1P. Since it cannot be re-wound, is there a way to do the conversion either by Inverter technology, or via some sort of transformer? It is 220V, delta wound, 15kva. I have wired it to feed 3 separate panels, using UV, VW, and WU, but it is extremely hard to balance the phases.

I only have 3 needs for 3P, namely the windlass, capstan, and dive compressor. All of the other demands are 1P throughout the vessel. I am going to assume that an inverter type unit will be the best light-weight solution, but all of my searches have turned up with zero information. Search engines tend to "invert" the search to convert 1P to 3P!

When tied up to the pier, all of the sources are 1P. With 1P Shore power, only one switch is needed if the genset is also providing 1P. However, when using my present system of pulling 220V 1P from each winding, it becomes an electrician's nightmare.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and solutions you can offer.

BobF

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 565

Re: 3 Phase to Single Phase Conversion

02/05/2010 9:14 AM

Is there a neutral conductor connection on the generator output terminals?

• If there is, then phase-and-neutral can be used without modification if the voltage is correct.
  • If not, then a transformer wired across 2 of the phases converting that particular voltage to whatever single-phase voltage is required, with the adequate protective devices in-circuit of course, is all that is needed. With a greater load on the above two phases, though, expect the voltage on them to be a bit lower than that on the other phase conductor while the single-phase transformer is loaded.

"If in doubt, consult a qualified electrician."

The recent explosion of personal telephony across the globe seems to have gone hand-in-hand with a profound reluctance to actually use the damn things for the purpose for which they have been designed.
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

02/05/2010 9:24 AM

The single phase loads are derived from pairs of legs and the load is balanced out by the distribution. I can see that your problem is a low and fluctuating single phase load(s). Rather than getting something that would be quite expensive and cumbersome, I would suggest setting up a motor-generator set (rotary converter), i.e., an appropriately sized three phase motor driving a small single phase generator that will handle all single phase load. It's not the most efficient way of doing it but it will probably be the most cost effective.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #2

02/06/2010 6:03 AM

Thank you for that idea. I would like to solve this problem with as little weight addition as possible. That is why I thought there might be an electronic solution in the way of Inverter Technology. I have on board 2 VFD's that do yeoman's duty for the windlass and capstan when 3P is not available directly. By that, I mean, if the main 3P genset were to quit, I could power the 3p windlass/capstan via a 1P to 3P VFD, using either the cruise generator (1P) or the 24V DC Inverter (1P). The VFD's are 3hp rated, and allow either 1P or 3P input. I need this type of redundancy. Therefore, I thought, if one can go from 1P to 3P with that technology, why can't I go from 3P to 1P the same way? For example, I know there are units that use an alternator belted off the main engine that convert the pulsating AC from the alternator to a sine wave 220V output for the house supply. They come in various outputs up to about 12KW. These work over the entire RPM range of the engine, and only the Output KW rating varies. It appears to me it is a simple jump from that technology to what I need. After all, my 13KVA is probably the equivalent of about 10KW, which is within the range of the above-mentioned alternator supplied power. Is there anyone on this forum up to date on this idea of conversion from 3p to 1p? I thank all who are taking an interest in this...a marketing idea in the making? BobF

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 77
In reply to #5

02/06/2010 10:21 AM

Yes, there are electronics converters. I have a few in the shop. The problem is that they are very expensive. The technology is similar to VFDs but is produces in small quantity so the price is higher. There are other suggestions posted here that are much more cost effective. If they don't apply, click on my name and drop me a line. We do this from 50A to 2000A. 240V to 4160V. 1ph to n ph.

Canada - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 39
In reply to #5

02/06/2010 3:03 PM

Suggest you contact Asea Power in huntington CA. they make products specifically for what you need and their main market is big boats. They use double conversion electronic inverters for light weight.

Good Answers: 477

02/05/2010 11:02 AM

Use a set of single phase transformers to give you a 1:1 isolation and then you can set their outputs up in a 'Z' configuration to get the full single phase power equivalent out of it.

I have an old military gen-set that can have it windings connected that way for full single phase output power. Its a fairly common phase balancing technique on most multi tap or multi configuration generators.

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply
Participant

Re: Three-Phase to Single-Phase Conversion

02/06/2010 5:48 AM

Dear sirs,

I think the best idea using load bank to get good load balance of power generator.

thanks

fakhri

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bobf (1); elnav (1); fakhri (1); marcot (1); mareng (1); PWSlack (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Can a Battery Provide 220 Volts?   Next in Forum: TNC Switch for ACBs
You might be interested in: AC Motor Drives, DC to AC Converter Chips, AC to DC Converter Chips