Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Swages vs. Reducers   Next in Forum: Injection Molding Tool Texture
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Associate

Trunnion Pipe Supports

03/10/2010 12:17 PM

Hi all, can someone please tell me what are the advantages of using a trunnion pipe support? I guess that since it is welded on the pipe, it will prevent pipe movements in any directions, but then why would you use a trunnion instead of an anchor?

Thank you!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 144

Re: Trunnion pipe supports

03/10/2010 12:56 PM

A trunnion permits movement about one axis. Think of the little ears on the side of your cannon, matey. Arrgh!

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27

03/10/2010 1:10 PM

System expansion

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - Retired Piper

Good Answers: 51

03/10/2010 2:04 PM

There are different forms of a "Trunnion" used for the support of piping systems. Which one are you talking about?

A. A horizontal "Trunnion" extension on an elbow to reach the next Pipe Rack support.

B. Two pipe "ears" attached to the opposite sides of a vertical pipe line and then supported off the side of a tall vertical process vessel.

Re: Trunnion Pipe Supports

03/11/2010 12:02 AM

Hi,

For trunnion type support also acts as a guide support.If You are welding the oneside upper side of pipe and another side ( base side)its free to slide,for flexiblity purpose we can allow the pipe axial movement or lateral movement.so it will not act as a anchor like 6 degree of freedom arreast ,it will also use instead of clamp shoe type support.

thanks

Binoi.S

Register to Reply
Associate

03/11/2010 12:32 PM

I am talking about the ones that are supporting an elbow which direct flow from horizontal to vertical axis. The trunnion are usually welded onto the underside (extrado) of the elbow, and are bolted down onto the ground. To me, that trunnion is like an anchor, because it does not allow any movement, but I am not sure as to what the advantages are by using a trunnion instead of an anchor on the pipe?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - Retired Piper

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #5

03/11/2010 2:39 PM

You have a third type of use for a "Trunnion" (an attachment to a pipe) that I should have listed in my first response.

The pipe, for whatever reason must be at the current elevation. The paving (ground, etc.) is where it is. The "Anchor" is a metal plate bolted to the the paving (or concrete block). The "Trunnion" fills the gap between and is welded to the pipe and the anchor plate.

In effect you have a "Base Anchor Trunnion" or a "Trunnion Base Anchor." These are not new, in fact they are quite common.

To work effectively the "Anchor plate" must be bolted down to a fixed surface (concrete or steel deck), the trunnion pipe should not be excessively long (1/2 metre or less) and be sized (nominal diameter and wall schedule) to be rigid.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); ask112233 (1); BoltIntegrity (1); PennPiper (2); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Swages vs. Reducers   Next in Forum: Injection Molding Tool Texture
You might be interested in: Pipe Hangers and Pipe Supports, Pipe and Tube Cutters, Pipe Fittings