Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Statistics   Next in Forum: Speed of Light Past Event Horizon
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 93

Top Ten Robots?

03/27/2010 3:02 PM

What are now the top ten robots employed to do work, or play, in the world today? What definition really fits best to describe a robot? My Oxford Dictionary definition describes robots as having a human appearance, or as a machine able to carry out automatically series of actions. Some people are even robots for carrying out work mechanically with no sensitivity according to the dictionary definition.

-Maybe I need a new dictionary.

At any rate I'm interested in knowing what great robots have existed, are most important now, and which we can expect to see become historically as significant as something like the DC3?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 71

Re: Top Ten Robots?

03/27/2010 4:39 PM

How 'bout the da Vinci robotic surgical system?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #1

03/28/2010 11:25 PM

If it works I'm for it.

Good Answers: 240

03/27/2010 7:19 PM

Ignoring the temptation to name past presidents, current congressmen and senators, talk radio ideologues of every stripe, televangelists, many tenured teachers, and bored hookers, I would submit the vending machine, the automatic door opener, and the coin operated toll gate as among the most ubiquitous early robots. I would say that Telstar satellite was the first and most important robot as it catalyzed the genesis of our electronically interconnected technoculture that has increasingly made many "Meat World" technologies obsolete.

When I was a much younger man, I would have first nominated a land mine and an aircraft dropped bomb as they strictly fulfill the "automatically carry out a series of actions" requirement.

The human appearance issue, I thought was more of an android or cyborg attribute, but its been years since I was immersed in the minutiae of science fiction.

Getting back to your more likely intent, the ASIMO robot from Honda probably comes pretty close to what you are looking for.

Cell phone repeaters, like Telstar in its day, do a heck of a lot of automatic work.

milo

In reply to #2

03/28/2010 2:18 PM

Bored Hookers is a good one. Seems that recently someone put on the market a new sex robot, supposedly quite good. Wonder if such a machine in a Mall, available like a Photobooth would amount to prostitution, and be outlawed.

Telstar, ASIMO, Vending Machines, (the Automat), coin operated toll gate, Automatic Door, Photobooth? Those robots exploring Mars..., and then those robots that weld cars together. (I've gotta look up the ASIMO, is that what it does?)

The Roomba vacuum is one of interest, and I think Toro makes a robot lawn mower. Would probably be fun, if not profitable to found a Robot Store, that specialized in sales of robots.

The Most Trusted Name In Robots! - Robo World!

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #2

03/29/2010 8:30 AM

"...bored hookers..."

HEY!!

I've been accused of being a robot at times, but I'm certainly not bored!

Oh, wait, do mean the other kind of hooker?

Hooker <--- who worked extensively with Unimate robots

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #9

03/29/2010 9:46 AM

Yes I meant the other kind of hooker. You know, the ones who throw the cable s onto the lift for the craneman.

cheers.

milo

Good Answers: 118

03/27/2010 11:22 PM

There are many awesome robots which are in the business of harvesting. Of course, they are harvesting your emails, and personal data, but they are harvesting nonetheless. They also reproduce themselves at will, and in general are considered pests because they can set up bot nets which are not normally benign.

I hear that anti-robot robots are cruising the web, looking for and finding these bots. I can almost hear the laser beams crossing the interwebs as I write this!!

You will be assimilated, there can be no resistance.......

Good Answers: 2

03/28/2010 10:56 AM

actually the robots are the machine which can perform human like activities but not the total replacement every kind of robots having different functionalities .they can work only what they are programmed for. the humanoid robots are man like but cant reach the 10% of human ability and are unable to do the job (out of there programmed criteria) thats are just machines which have been built to do the continues work with minimal of errors . the logic of the robotic mind works with the inputs(what it collects from its sensors) and as the result of the input due to the conditional logic it issues the output commands to its parts. plc controlled plants , cnc machines auto pilot that are the different forms of robots .

03/28/2010 4:29 PM

This is one of the more incredible do-it-all robots I've seen...kindofa roburro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3G-UE1HwGI

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 600

03/29/2010 4:51 AM

1. R2-D2

2. C-3PO

3. Frankenstein's monster

4. A 5-axis material positioner

5. Some Buck Rogers comic character from ~50 years ago

6. Any communist

7. Any fascist

8. Any religious believer

9. Any pseudoscientific or newage believer

10. Left open for other miscellaneous contributions.

Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - Commodore Vic 20 Australia - Member - New Member

03/30/2010 3:35 AM

Elecktro has got to be my favourite, completely useless but still my favourite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektro

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 71

03/30/2010 9:30 AM

Klaatu barada nikto

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Hooker (1); Milo (2); ozone88 (1); sohail0110 (1); sue (2); Tornado (1); Transcendian (2); Yusef1 (1)

Previous in Forum: Statistics   Next in Forum: Speed of Light Past Event Horizon
You might be interested in: Industrial Robots, Color Meters and Appearance Instruments, Photosensor Modules