Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: AC Generator AVR   Next in Forum: HV Termite Terminator Power Supply Design Approach?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Participant

Load Test on Single Phase Transformer

04/16/2010 6:05 AM

please, can u give me a circuit for load test on single phase transformer

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Re: load test on single phase transformer

04/16/2010 6:34 AM

When I give you a circuit for a heavy transformer and you have a small one, it will die. Better tell me what you want to test. What transformer? Voltage, current, type. (separate windings or coils, tapped,?) Or do you want a universal load test, than you need a universal voltage, current, load. Your single phase transformer can be one of 10 grams or 1000 kg.

In reply to #1

Re: load test on single phase transformer

04/16/2010 8:04 AM

working voltage of upto 110v and i have to know the total behaviour of that transformer for modeling perpose

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

Re: Load Test on Single Phase Transformer

04/16/2010 10:39 AM

YES! Things like primary voltage, secondary voltage, rating (volt amps, kilo volt amps), what are you wanting it to do; without any information AT ALL we're forced to answer questions with questions.

In reply to #3

04/16/2010 8:12 PM

The input voltage is 120 v

The output is 24v , 40 amp

Thanks for help.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

04/17/2010 6:58 AM

Thanks, primary is 240v,50hz supply and secondary is of 60v to 110v and the load consisting of resisters/led's. I want to know the behavior of that transformer with changing/increasing the load in steps.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

04/16/2010 11:50 PM

120 Volts AC - 24 Volts 40 Amps.

Like types used in high power amps. I should go for toroidal wound transformers.

A lot more compact then the oldies. If you consider export. make your primary 2 times 120 and your secondary 2 X 24 Volts or 2 X 12 Volts too.

Connecting the primaries in series opens your 240 volts markets too.

A cheap way of testing: buy for 840 watts of car (truck) light bulbs. Put them in a metal box with some cooling, get a pair of dark sunglasses and start testing.

You can measure: temperature, current, voltage, voltage drop and if you wait long enough, life cycle.

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #5

04/17/2010 2:04 PM

For load wire wound resistors are probably best, but

Stainless steel banding straps or stainless steel pipe can be used for load.

If plain steel banding strap or pipe is used, load will be very inductive.

If load gets too hot, put fan on it, or if pipe is used, water may be run through it.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

04/17/2010 3:13 PM

Is the pipe also considered as inductive load ?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #8

04/18/2010 1:03 PM

When speaking of stainless steel, it is assumed that the stainless steel is the non magnetic type. Some stainless steel is magnetic and will be inductive the same as plain steel.

The inductance of stainless steel pipe will be the same as that of a copper pipe of the same dimensions.

At 60 hertz, a load made from stainless steel pipe should have insignificant inductance.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

04/18/2010 3:01 PM

Thanks for your reply.

But i think the "wire wound resistors" could be considered more inductive than stainless steel pipe because it consists of multiple of turns.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

04/18/2010 3:57 PM

You can use any kind of load. Problem is to know how much your load is.

I made a styrofoam cutting wire device with about the transformer you are talking about. The wire is regular welding wire from a MIG system. About 1m long and 1.2 mm thick. Regular steel 60. It is suspended in a U frame.

You can use this up to a certain level: once your transformer delivers too much current, the wire will get that hot that it melts.

In case you will use a stainless pipe, you need to know what you do.

Just patching up onto a piece is about a short circuit and has about NO inductance at all. It will only show to be a coil at very high frequencies (Mhz- see Lecher Line) (like a pipe of 1m with 2 connectors) If you go for a thin pipe (let's say 20 feet) with considerable length and coiled up, you have an inductive load, but not that high, unless you put a magnetic coil in it.

If the stainless is magnetic or not - it has nothing to do with the matter. Even the high power wire wound resistors on ceramic cores @ 60 Hz are not that inductive and considered - resistors.

If you do your tests uncontrolled (without e.g a variac) you will end up with a defective transformer or defective load. The least you can do is check the temperature, odor (burn) of your transformer and secure it with the right breakers for the tests.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Carl Pugh (2); dvmdsc (3); RDGRNR (1); venugopal Reddy (1)

Previous in Forum: AC Generator AVR   Next in Forum: HV Termite Terminator Power Supply Design Approach?
You might be interested in: Single Phase Transformers, Transformer Test Equipment, Transformer Repair Services