CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Why is the Entire Healthcare System So Expensive?   Next in Forum: OiL Workers Safety Training
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

30 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 90

Running Water and Urination

04/21/2010 10:15 PM

Why does running water cause you to urinate?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1139

Re: Running water and urination

04/21/2010 10:31 PM

ronseto,

Sorry to disappoint you, but it ain't the running water that causes you to urinate. It's the 64 oz. of barley pop you just drank. And the girls are gettin' better lookin' too, I'll wager.

Then again, something Freudian maybe?

Who knows?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 621

04/21/2010 10:39 PM

Maybe suggestibility, as in contagious laughing or yawning.

The Portland Oregon convention center has images of waterfalls built into the tiling above the urinals, so maybe visual works too.

04/22/2010 5:11 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

04/22/2010 10:55 AM

Possibly the sounds and images trigger off mental associations with pee.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75

Re: Running Water and Urination

04/22/2010 11:07 PM

ronseto

It is more the sound of the running water that triggers something. I late dear friend and client of mine, in his mid seventies, could only have a leak if he turned on the shower at the same time. He would not care about the water wastage, so I suggested we record the sound and play it on a Walkman.

He found it so fascinating, that it worked, that he decided, out of gratitude, to buy another painting off me. He also told anyone who wanted to know that that was the way he would have a leak. I'm still quiet functional in that department but have noticed that rain on the roof can trigger something.

No ronseto, its not going to get better, Ky.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Not so new Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member, old hobby.

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #5

04/23/2010 3:17 AM

I hope he doesn't burst when the walk-man's batteries run out.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

04/22/2010 11:52 PM

Putting a sleeping person's hand into lukewarm water supposedly has the same effect.

I forget whose tagline is "Do unto others. Then run."

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #6

04/23/2010 12:34 AM

This is a proven fact! I used to do that trick to several roommates in college. Just out of curiosity I once did it to an old girl friend of mine and it worked on her too. Fortunately it was her bed and not mine but boy was she pissed. ALL OF THIS WAS DONE WHILE I WAS A YOUNG BOY, YOUNGER THAN 25 AND SINGLE, AND SOWING MY WILD OATS!

In reply to #7

04/23/2010 12:45 AM

The expression "She was pissed" is doubly apt.

Power-User

Good Answers: 5

04/23/2010 1:27 AM

There are two sphincters (cut off valves) in the urinary tract which control micturation. One is voluntary and the other is involuntary. Even a small amount (150-300mls) of urine in the bladder will open the involuntary sphincter leaving full control to the voluntary sphincter. Normally, the detruser muscles in the bladder control the involuntary sphincter by detecting the volume of fluid in the bladder: need to void (appoximately 150mls), sense of urgency (approximately 300-600mls), then override the voluntary sphincter to cause urination (approximately 800-1000mls). Anesthetics and other drugs will affect the detruser muscles causing difficulty voiding after surgery.

The other factor is the parasympathetic (normal or voluntary mode) and sympathetic (involuntary or fright, flight, or fight mode) nervous systems. The sympathetic mode will override the voluntary mode giving more control to the involuntary sphincter (this will influence people to void when they are threatened). Water is a serious threat to our safety because of its potential to cut off respiration, but vision often allows us to see that danger is not imminent. Thus closing the eyes will enhance the phenomenon of feeling or hearing water to stimulate urination.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 8)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

04/23/2010 2:39 AM

Didn't understand anything that you just wrote and you used too many big words but it did sound mighty impressive. I am now thinking of registering just to give you a GA.

This is what makes this site so good, huge resource of information. Again, well done.

Rgds

Mike

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

04/23/2010 2:52 AM

I think the biggest word there was "parasympathetic " (15 letters). In colonial America, "antidisestablishmentarianism" (28 letters) was actually a known and commonly discussed concept. How thing have slid since then...in most circles.

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #9

04/23/2010 2:56 AM

GA and I am sure that everything you say is correct, but I am getting to the age when the only time I do not want to piss urinate is while I am urinating.

Ky got it dead right - it's not going to get any better.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #12

04/23/2010 3:18 AM

I am thinking-being elderly & having prostate probs where having to urinate often at night(&day)- if putting a sleeping person's hand into warm water causes urination- would putting my hand(or appendage) into cold water cause the opposite?.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Not so new Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member, old hobby.

04/23/2010 3:24 AM

why do people pee in pools?

In reply to #15

04/23/2010 3:41 AM

Because it's too much trouble to get out of the pool, trundle 20 yards (meters) over to the rest room, and come back. Plus, the warm water already elicits the reflexes described thus far. This is all called "Reality Check," for those who just might happen to be interested in reality....

In reply to #16

04/23/2010 3:51 AM

in aqua, urine? E. coli?

In reply to #17

04/23/2010 4:01 AM

Quite likely one or both....

Good Answers: 10

04/23/2010 8:06 AM

WE DON'T SWIM IN YOUR TOILET, PLEASE DON'T PEE IN OUR POOL.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #19

04/24/2010 11:40 AM

That reminds me of a sign I saw posted at a friend's hot tub. It said "Welcome to our SA, notice there is no P in it, let's keep it that way".

Good Answers: 60

04/23/2010 9:36 AM

Ive not looked at any of these links, I have to go out, I will take a look when i come back.

but in the meantime

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=why+does+running+water+make+you+urinate&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=K6LRS9y5Koz-0gSCzOzVDQ

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/23/2010 6:32 PM

Do you suppose "conditioning" could be partly responsible? If you allow yourself to urinate in the shower for example or in the pool , do you think this could become a conditioned response?

Hank

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 367
In reply to #21

04/23/2010 6:48 PM

"... do you think this could become a conditioned response?"

Maybe it could, but I don't think that has much, if anything, to do with the subject under discussion.

Is this the voice of experience, Hank?

In reply to #22

04/24/2010 4:33 AM

Hi John, Yes, I speak from experience! It is usually the best teacher as long as it doesn't cost you your life.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/23/2010 7:06 PM

Ron,

Looking at reply postings, I expected only razzing... but the knowledge demonstrated in regard to such phenomena is, in itself, instructive.

But tell me—when you say, "....running water cause [one] to urinate," do you mean just that (spontaneous incontinence), or a strong urge to urinate (i.e., bladder pressure)... that is usually set off by the stimulus (i.e., the sense (hearing, seeing, ... ?), in this case, of water running)?

Cow...

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 90
In reply to #23

04/24/2010 5:59 PM

I experienced this phenomena when I had to pee for a drug test for employment. The person had to accompany me to the bathroom. He ran the water and it worked.

Good Answers: 23

04/25/2010 7:38 AM

Very funny question asked in this forum. What happens when you are in the middle of the road and it rains heavily?.

Good Answers: 25

04/26/2010 8:55 AM

My former Urologist is sadistic! His waiting room has a little water feature on the wall. It is water cascading over stones into a small pool where it gets recirculated. Every time I went in there I had to go to the boys room before I checked in.

The key word is "former"!

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #28

04/26/2010 4:37 PM

Yep, trickles of the trade, Ky.

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #29

04/26/2010 4:40 PM

Thanks a lot!!! It also happens when I get a big laugh!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (5); beriberi (2); DGCYS (1); DVader1000 (1); JBTardis (1); JohnDG (1); Kaisan (1); ky (2); Leonf (3); lyn (1); Neil Kwyrer (1); okiescienceprof (1); old salt (1); peterg7lyq (1); ronseto (1); suresh sharma (1); Tornado (6)

Previous in Forum: Why is the Entire Healthcare System So Expensive?   Next in Forum: OiL Workers Safety Training

Advertisement