Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Career - Software Engineer Resume Prep   Next in Forum: quest
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

13 comments
Active Contributor

How to Install C Programming Language

04/28/2010 12:21 PM

Hi,

I have downloaded C Programming Language from internet and want to install it. I have Vista installed in my PC. Can somebody please tell me to how to install C on my laptop?

Thanks & Regards,

Rashid

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: How to install C

04/28/2010 12:46 PM

Not enough information.

Need to know compiler package.

Find the setup.exe file and run it (after reading and understanding the Read.me file).

If this is a DOS App, you may have to setup the config.sys file PATH statement.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: How to install C

04/28/2010 4:14 PM

There are a lot of sharp people here, but in general this is not a software development site. You may want to try Google Groups or other software oriented sites.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 10)
Anonymous Poster

Re: How to Install C Programming Language

04/28/2010 8:52 PM

Why don't you contact the company that made the C Programming Language that you downloaded? They will be able to help you.

You DID download it legally...right?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

04/29/2010 11:19 AM

Regarding the legality of the program, there are plenty of free compilers and text editors on the internet, I doubt this is a pirated copy. There are also plenty of for profit instructions with built in compiler Cd's.

The question indicates a level of knowledge of programming. All of the modern languages are similar in that conditional statements, variables etc. are all the same by definition but different in syntax, the differences are usually subtle but different enough to pull an error from language to language.

The usual development of a program is with a text editor using the syntax of the language involved. In the case of the "Higher level " languages the output of the text editor is fed into a compiler that initially filters out all the errors involved in the program and then produces an executable file that can be used in normal operating systems. The "C" language is capable of generating operating systems.

If installing the compiler is presenting some difficulty I would wonder if you may not be studying the wrong language. What are you trying to accomplish? There could be better choices to be made.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 139

04/29/2010 2:20 PM

Sorry to be negative, but if you cannot work out how to install a software package (thats all this is!), then it is MOST unlikely that you will ever write an "own" program in the "C" language (or any computer language for that matter!!!).

You do not appear to even understand that placing the name and level of the package might have actually improved the quality of the answers we could give you!!!!Or telling us on what type of computer you want to use and what type of OS....all simple infos.....

All (legal) software comes with some information on how to install it.....usually you just double-click on the software package (after placing it on your hard disk somewhere) and it does most of the rest on its own, maybe with you answering a couple of simple questions......its achieved by millions of people, all around the world, every single day (and night!) of the year.......its a simple task usually......

Don't forget, this is basically just a text editor, with a few more bells and whistles.....

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #5

04/29/2010 3:16 PM

Andy Germany,

I see that your mood has not improved since we last locked horns. Once more you jumped in with both feet without thinking. Perhaps the poster is only starting off studying. You do realise that we all have to start off at the beginning knowing very little and gain knowledge as we go. Instead of being helpful you deliberately attempted to be negative and condescending.

Kind Regards

Mr. W.A Snow

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #6

04/30/2010 4:27 AM

I really do not know where you get your kicks from, you help no one in this way, least of all the OP.

But this attitude is nothing new, I have seen in the USA many times, overly nice to someone who has NOT earned it and then you fire the Guy (usually in December!!) and he has not a clue why he is out of a job.....nobody was "brave/honest" (is that the right word(s) enough to tell him....

In this particular case, if he is under 10 years old, I will agree with you completely, if not, not!!! OK? CR4 is really not for sensitive Dummies.....

By the way, if you want to "lock your horn(s) " with someone, assuming you are male for the moment , pick someone of the opposite sex at least who knows how to handle it!! I want nothing to do with a "Horny HoleIntheSnow" UGH!!! Now if it was an attractive Blond Lady.........and my Wife did not get to hear about it of course.....

Try and find one as im perfect as yourself, then life will be perfect for you at least!!!

At least the OP may understand and have learnt something positive for the future from my comments. Like supply ALL pertinent infos when asking a question........of course therein remains the possibility that he is Pirating software.....that has not been cleared up as of this moment as far as I am aware....hopefully not true.

But if it turns out that neither of you can take/handle/understand the "unvarnished truth", then how sad for you both......I personally accept bald facts far better, than prancing around them, trying not to step on sensitive toes......that helps no one in the slightest.

So say it like it is, the friends you gain will be real ones, the ones you lose will have shown their true colours and left......I am old enough to know that well, but I still do not lack for (real) friends either, so it has actually stood me in good stead for over 60 years!! Pragmatism is a really good thing!! For those that really appreciate it....

But I still wish you a great day in spite of me.....honestly. Lets meet again on another day and duel again (if you wish!)

In reply to #7

04/30/2010 6:43 AM

So let me sum up your position on these matters:-

• Only ask a question if you already know the answer.

WTF Interesting viewpoint .

Do you not think (presuming that you actually have the ability to do so, which is under dispute at this moment in time) that it would have been better to make your point in a less arrogant/"know it all" fashion.

There is a difference between bravery/ honesty and down right ignorance.

Kind Regards

Mr. W.A Snow

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #8

04/30/2010 11:29 AM

You demonstrate your seemingly only two talents yet again:-

1) To jump in the "deep end" without the need to understand what is or is not going on

2) Summing up with no thought to what was actually written before......

Maybe we can invent a new word together for your type of "Summing Up", how about "Minussing Down"? It fits perfectly......sadly.

I feel quite strongly that anyone asking a question here on CR4 should have the intelligence to provide all the relevant infos actually available at the time of asking the question, this was obviously not the case and I actually listed a few of the open questions in my first post......OS type?, Program name etc etc...

You appear not to need such infos, but as my Crystal Ball got broken recently, I cannot supply answers with no pertinent information.

....not that you have been able to help much either.....you complain well about me, but for no obvious reason, that helps no one....even yourself!! Certainly not the OP.....I assume you want to protect him from my "piecing" questions, how noble

Also, seemingly I was not alone in finding the whole question suspect and possibly someone trying to get illegally downloaded software running without paying. That has still not been cleared up, but as the OP has seemingly "done a runner" as the Brits say, so perhaps I and another poster hit the mark on that point....we will see.

It was certainly a very suspect first post from an OP.......time will tell if its legal or not. I am willing to wait up......and fully prepared to be wrong on that point of legality of course....

Have a great day anyway.

In reply to #9

04/30/2010 12:29 PM

Thank you for your badly written and thoughtless post - you really are a master at penning such posts.

Once again your age is showing. Things have moved on since "the good old days" when ignorance was revered and putting people down was seen as a sign of knowledge. Your sexist comments also have not gone unnoticed (and not just in this thread)

The saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is quite apt in your case.

Thanks for indicating that I have two talents, well that is two more than you will ever have (I do not class ignorance and being a sexist as a talents)

Kindest of Regards

Mr. W.A Snow

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

05/11/2010 2:22 PM

If you are unable to handle the "parry and thrust" that such blogs sometimes generate (surely thats the best part?), may I suggest (in a most kind manner of course, but maybe you never thought of this) that in the future, to save yourself from feeling "attacked", that you try not to jump in where you are not directly addressed or required. eg. Mind your own business in the future....

I have reread my original comments to the OP (the ones you took such a violent objection to!) and it appears that the OP has taken the hint and left, so perhaps I was more accurate in my assessment than you are willing to give me credit for.....

Also, as CR4 is not a place to get hold of information to use software illegally.....and that is now what it appears he was trying to do.....

By the way, I was not alone in these thoughts either, another poster found it suspect too as to what he was requesting....(Great minds and all that?).

Such thieves need a short sharp reminder.....he got one, took the hint and left, exactly what we want.

What did a past President of the USA once say? :-

"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen!".

Franklin Delano Roosevelt I believe....

I still wish a great day and lots of little holes in the snow as well.....or whatever gets you going!!

PS If you want me to read your reply, you will either need to find another blog where I am active (I can let you know where if you wish) or send me an email. Take your pick. As I have left this one completely as its not being actively folowed by the OP.

If you DON'T want me to read your reply, here is the perfect place to vent your spleen!!!

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #11

05/11/2010 5:40 PM

"If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen!".

Sounds more like "Give'em hell Harry Truman."

In reply to #11

05/12/2010 4:16 PM

Please get some help for the marital issues that are causing your mood swings.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (4); Anonymous Poster (4); HoleInTheSnow (3); otha (2)

Previous in Forum: Career - Software Engineer Resume Prep   Next in Forum: quest
You might be interested in: Programming Languages, Device Programming Services, Language Translation Software