CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Plastic FIBC Bags   Next in Forum: Welding - Check Point Question
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Active Contributor

Difference Between Device Equipment and Instrument

05/02/2010 8:09 AM

what is the difference between a measuring device,equipment and intrument?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1095

Re: difference between device,equipment and instrument

05/02/2010 8:25 AM

Semantics.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584

05/02/2010 10:29 AM

Yes, the short answer is that this is just a semantic difference. The semantic difference I believe originates from the view of the engineer perceiving the measure. But I also interpret an implied quality and precision factor of these three terms. A measuring device maybe part of an overall system intended to do a different task. The task of measuring equipment instead is to do the specific measurement. For an example, an automobile design engineer would consider the fuel gauge a measuring device. While the engineers that designed the materials in the float, the mechanism that translated the height of the float in the tank to an electric signal, the design of the gauge itself to translate the electric signal into an understandable image; they would consider these the measuring equipment that makes the measuring device. The term measuring instrument implies to me though that this assembly of equipment has some quantifiable level of precision that permits other parameters to be calculated.

But this is just my ephemeral interpretation. There are no clear delineating characteristics established by any formal or informal group that defines these terms into selective categories.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 91

05/02/2010 1:15 PM

To me, a measuring device would be that which actually takes a reading or indication. Equipment would be that which processes that information and displays it in a form that can be read, such as a digital or anlog readout. An instrument implies a device of extreme accuracy that has been calibrated to give precise, accurate information. I think they are used interchangeably by non-engineering types.

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

Re: Difference Between Device Equipment and Instrument

05/02/2010 10:57 PM

Measuring device: Starts with M, duel word word, total letters 15

Equipment: Starts with E, total letters 9

Intrument: Starts with I, total letters 9

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Active Contributor

Location: I am at Chennai India. Retired Dy General Manager - Power Plant Automation

05/03/2010 1:19 AM

The following are the general concept of process engineers

Measuring device is the sensors which measures various parameters of the process like pressure, temperature, flow, level, position, quality etc may not or may have local indication, it can measure the parameter and send it to the processor

Equipment is normally the one which does the process or assisting the process at various stages.

The instrument is the one which perform various activities, like monitoring the process parameters and communicating it to the main processor, as well it can be programmed to carry out other functions like calculations , warning alarms, trip circuits etc.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

05/03/2010 3:22 AM

thanks for the valuable answers..so i percieve that an equipment is a combinations of various devices and instruments. a device can be an instrument but an instrument can not be a device.

but if we move away from measuring attributes towards universal machines that we use in our daily life, like if consider a cell phone or a computer, what are these. I have read right from the start that computer and cell phones are electronics devices.but i have never heard that a freeze is a device, it has always been a cooling equipment consisting of various devices. so shall we percieve that whereever electronic components are into picture, those are devices and and in case of mechanical components and methods, those are instruments or equipments??

Manish Kesari

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gsuhas (1); kesari (1); lyn (1); redfred (1); ronseto (1); seethasub (1)

Previous in Forum: Plastic FIBC Bags   Next in Forum: Welding - Check Point Question

Advertisement