Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Automatic Switch-Off of Water Pump   Next in Forum: Netbook PC
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Active Contributor

Display Turned Red

05/09/2010 10:46 PM

I have an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard. Everything was working fine.. but on one day when I switched on my PC, the display turned RED ..

I then connected the same monitor with another CPU but the display was alright, which means the problem is caused by the MOBO.

Kindly advise if I can do something to correct it.. or does it need a replacement.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: computer display monitor Mother board pc
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Associate

Re: Display Turned Red

05/09/2010 11:45 PM

Most likely your on board video is damaged.

If you want to keep the motherboard you may be able to turn off the internal video and add a new video card.

Register to Reply
Power-User
CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 22

05/10/2010 9:36 AM

This happens with the HDMI output? I would try the other video ports (VGA and DVI). If those work, then the HDMI output has the problem.

If you're not getting a signal from any of the video ports, your onboard video is shot. You can either install a video card in it, or replace the motherboard.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

05/10/2010 11:56 AM

Hi.,,

thanks for the comments.... I would first try to replace it.. If not, will try to buy one display card and disable onboard video.

I will update once I restore my display properly..

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

05/11/2010 12:26 AM

Did you check the HDMI connector? In many cases I have faced similar problems due to faulty cable/ connector.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

05/11/2010 1:44 AM

This red screen is like a blue screen of death, only it indicates a worse ( or more serious) problem. That is IF there is really a problem with the system. Please also consider running a thorough updated malware check on your machine. Just like the blue screen, there could be an enterprising idiot out there with this virus giving you a red screen.

Best of luck either way.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 149

05/11/2010 3:57 AM

If its not a cable, try installing the latest screen drivers (again if they are already installed)....before replacing the video card or turning off the onboard one and installing a video card.

Good Answers: 2

05/11/2010 8:19 AM

Before doing anything expensive, if you have access to a different monitor try using it and a different cable on the suspect PC and see what happens. Putting the monitor on a different PC and having good results doesn't negate the possibility that there's a broken or shorted wire in the cable and/or connector that was temporarily 'fixed' by the parts shifting when they were moved.

Or, (if you haven't already) you could just give it the wiggle test. Hook it all up and when the screen goes red, wiggle the cables and see if there is any noticeable flickering, color changes, or image outages.

Last resort before buying anything: get a can of compressed air from the computer/electronics store and blow out the connectors and motherboard. Sometimes dust can do weird things and I don't know what kind of environment your system is in.

Good luck,

Logan

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #7

05/14/2010 3:00 PM

A loose connection on one of the pins is what I would suspect right away. I've seen this happen except my screen turned yellow - the cable on inspection had become loose and one pin or other was not making the connection.

Old pins can crack right off, sometimes the connectors work anyway but then it is subject to fail at any time.

Good Answers: 12

05/11/2010 2:37 PM

If the display is grainy red, but with some information displayed, it is most likely a poor connection between the display chip and the monitor. Culprits could be a broken trace, cold solder connection, bent connector pin, contaminated connector pin, etc.

If the display is completely red without any other information displayed, it could be the video hardware (chip or firmware) on the motherboard.

A third, but unlikely possibility is the configuration. Some video boards have dip switches, jumpers, or registers that must be set up by the video driver.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3

05/11/2010 2:51 PM

My old computer had a similar problem only my display showed everything normally but in an off shade of pink. It behaved like the issue was with where the physical connection was made to the motherboard. I was able to move the cord and get a good picture sometimes. Unless your warranty covers a repair to the motherboard your best bet is probably to install a separate video card and disable the onboard video in the bios.

In reply to #9

05/14/2010 3:09 PM

thanks everyone.

Mine was the problem with the on-board display. The board has been replaced with another model M2A74-AM.

Now eveything is fine.... and I am now writing this from the machine that is fixed with the above new mobo.

thanks.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (1); jvrj (1); kdelta (1); logan (1); rajkochi (2); Snave (1); XNuke (1); yamdankee (1)

Previous in Forum: Automatic Switch-Off of Water Pump   Next in Forum: Netbook PC
You might be interested in: Multi-input Display Processors, Display Filters and Films