Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Stop Oil Spill in Deep Water   Next in Forum: Site on which to post sugestions to stop oil leak
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

60 comments
Anonymous Poster

Earthquake Caused by Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill?

05/31/2010 1:44 PM

wouldn't an earthquake be caused by gulf of mexico oil spill?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 53

Re: Earthquake caused by gulf of mexico oil spill?

05/31/2010 2:50 PM

No.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

05/31/2010 4:31 PM

how can you be so sure. The reason the oil is coming out at such pressure is because of the pressure from the plates and rocks above it. With so much oil escaping (and continualy) movement would be inevitable.

so again, how can you be so sure?

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

08/31/2010 3:43 AM

Actually, the pressure comes from gas that expands within the rock formations, often intentionally ppumped into the wells.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

06/11/2010 4:48 AM

Yes, it would. Just picture this. When a child sits on a balloon and the balloon pops, the child falls to the foor. The air in the balloon no longer holds the child up. When enough oil (pressure) is released from the earth, that definitely can be a catalyst for fault movement.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #27

06/12/2010 1:34 AM

There is quite a difference between 1. The oil spill will cause an earthquake. and 2. Oil Drilling could be a contributing factor in the causation of an earthquake. Number one is FALSE, number two is TRUE.

Guest, are you capable of comprehending the difference, or do the statements seem identical to you? Your child on a balloon analogy is really dumb.

Hope you are having fun acting like an arrogant ignoramus while posting anonymously. Do you give yourself good answer votes while you are here and not logged in?

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #29

06/23/2010 4:57 PM

Actually... usually when tankers take oil, their pumps are set up so that when they turn it off, it REPLENISHES the hole with more water and oil...

So, you can't be sure the oil spill won't cause any earthquakes. There is essentially a huge sink hole being created that... probably will be causing a lot of damage in the future.

And in case you haven't felt it/heard about it, just today there was a huge earthquake at 1:41pm felt from Philly to Sudbury. I live in Toronto and it was felt here. Only 5.5 on scale though but... I'm sure there will be more where that came from; we haven't had an earthquake here in YEARS... makes you wonder, oil spill caused this? I'd bet it, but who really knows.

So can we be sure the oil spill won't cause an earthquake? No, we can't be sure. And Ace Boringer or whatever... you need to do your research, love. YOU seem to be the arrogant one, as well.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #44

06/23/2010 5:28 PM

Yep, she will buckle , bulge and flux 'till the cows come home.

In reply to #44

08/31/2010 4:01 AM

You're absolutely right about the sinkhole. The plates of the earth are far deeper than the oil. Nothing we could ever do would have any effect on the movement of the tectonic plates.

Which would you prefer: a dimple on the surface of the earth? or a fatally deflated economy?

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #29

07/09/2010 10:01 AM

you're insulting on symantics? you are in washington, this may not affect you but if you would take a moment to stop talking down to people as if they are scum, you might see the actual point of the question.

this is a person in need of real answers. Please respect your fellow man.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 557
In reply to #52

07/09/2010 10:05 AM

Witch!!!

In reply to #52

07/10/2010 3:59 PM

Of course the oil spill affects me, and all Americans. I am simply stating that there is no evidence it will cause earthquakes. Why don't you quit making illogical statements from behind a veil of anonymity and log in? The analogy of a kid falling because a ballon pops, to an earthquake because of an oil leak is ridiculous for too many reasons to explain here.

If you are really in need of real answers swap your ideology for logic and reason.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 252

05/31/2010 2:56 PM

wouldn't an earthquake be caused by gulf of mexico oil spill?

That is correct, it wouldn't.

In reply to #2

05/31/2010 4:31 PM

how can you be so sure. The reason the oil is coming out at such pressure is because of the pressure from the plates and rocks above it. With so much oil escaping (and continualy) movement would be inevitable.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 546
In reply to #5

05/31/2010 5:29 PM

How can we be sure?
Because the oil which is pumped out every day, in greater quanties for the last umpteen years at many location throughout the world hasn't caused earthquakes.
Del

In reply to #6

05/31/2010 6:15 PM

thank-you.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

06/10/2010 5:23 PM

i was speaking about a specific location and a short amount of time. glad you are so sure of yourself. can you bottle that? maybe i need a swig of it.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

06/14/2010 1:14 AM

A recent series of earthquakes near Dallas

were thought to be caused by gas drilling

in the area.

Anonymous Poster

05/31/2010 4:30 PM

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

05/31/2010 6:09 PM

We can be sure that nothing we say or do will possibly convince you that earthquakes are or are not caused by anything. The truth is that earthquakes are a natural process of this planet that we just barely understand. But for the sake of making the attempt to reach you, I will agree with others here and try to prove to you that this oil retrieval and all of the others combined do not cause earthquakes.

Since Charles Richter and Beno Gutenberg quantified earthquakes in California with the Richter scale and now that a more universal moment magnitude scale has taken over recordings, the frequency and magnitude of the earthquakes observed have not changed significantly. These earthquakes are still found to be random events in location, magnitude and anything else that would permit predicting and therefore safeguarding lives. Now we have found some plausible precursor measurable events that people maybe able to generate warnings one day. But this has yet to work. So since we cannot link earthquakes to anything, we cannot link it to any well drilling.

In reply to #7

05/31/2010 6:14 PM

thank-you.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

06/11/2010 9:54 PM

You don't think that oil companies control science? Why would the oil industry want information out that eartquakes could possibly be caused by oil extraction. Not all earthquakes of course, but since we barely understand why oil is in the earth, and we barely understand earthquakes, saying "no it can't be a cause" seems reckless.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

06/23/2010 5:30 PM

Yes, earthquakes are a 'natural process'... however, usually when a volcano erupts (this has nothing to do with the oil spill but I am demonstrating to those who don't understand how these other 'natural processes' can trigger things), an earthquake is triggered somewhere... why? Due to the plate movement.

It is not entirely inconceivable to think the Oil spill could cause an earthquake. The oil being extracted cannot be replenished fast enough to fill what was extracted... it could very well cause plate movement, which in turn creates an earthquake. There are some of those that don't seem to understand that when the oil is being extracted CORRECTLY instead of spewing uncontrollably, the oil tankers have a system set up so they can turn the valve off - stopping the oil from spewing - which allows the area to replenish with water and oil over time. This oil leak has been spewing for MONTHS now...

Pardon my sarcasm but... did none of you take a science class? Should have paid more attention.

Participant

In reply to #46

07/02/2010 10:45 PM

I took science class. I agree with you. I was talking with some other friends about this. People need to wake up to the fact that, when something this big happens, there's always a counter effect. If this empty space is not filled with molten lava or something else, Not only will it cause an earthquake, but maybe even a sinkhole. the weight of the ocean water might cause this if the crust is thin enough. has anyone really checked or conducted research to see how thick that plate is? I think the scientist involved with this spill are withholding a lot of information from the public. We as a people need to inquire about this.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #50

07/02/2010 11:04 PM

has anyone really checked or conducted research to see how thick that plate is?

Roughly 18.000 feet.

Yep, she will buckle , bulge and flux 'till the cows come home and has done so since ever and ever. How did you find that panic button? Or was it that you fainted and lost control of the dead mans switch?

Get a grip on your self Mate. Look at all the information available and don't rely on what the others (friends) say or speculate. It is a seep learning curve but if it can help you to get a grip on reality, part of the stress will disappear.

If my memory serves me right the crust around the Yellowstone area is much thinner.

Feel better now? You should, Ky.

05/31/2010 6:26 PM
Guru

In reply to #10

05/31/2010 6:41 PM

The trouble of dealing with any random process is that coincidences will always happen and get mixed into the events. Also the coincidences make for great copy for the news media.

Now I will admit that it's plausible that a drilling might add that tectonic equivalent to a butterfly flap that created a hurricane on the other side of the world, but it is just as likely that drilling could safely release a built up tension to prevent a more major earthquake.

In reply to #11

05/31/2010 7:20 PM

well put both times.

www.thevenusproject.com

Guru

Good Answers: 143

05/31/2010 7:36 PM

It's really simple. Everybody who knows anything knows that earthquakes are caused by mashed potatoes. Yes, that's potatoes, rhymes with tomatoes, and means we've got trouble right here is Steel City. Yes, folks, ever time there's been an earthquake, no matter whether -2.3 or 15.819 on the Richter Scale, it's always been within 6 hours of someone eating mashed potatoes. Ban the spud! Save mankind. Remember, the eyes of tubers are upon us.

In reply to #13

05/31/2010 7:51 PM

Did you know that 89.6% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Guru

In reply to #14

05/31/2010 7:56 PM

That dog gets under my feet, too.

In reply to #15

05/31/2010 7:59 PM

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 591
In reply to #16

05/31/2010 8:07 PM

There's a better pangram than that--

Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs!

In reply to #17

06/16/2010 3:55 PM

we won't have to worry about ecoli in water. certainly not much willl survive the petroleum. Think out of the wine box-perhaps 30 years hence. I like tar balls. they're cute.--woman

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 392
In reply to #13

06/01/2010 11:06 AM

In reply to #18

06/03/2010 7:58 PM

Should I stop making my water melon punch then?

Every time we finish one of these off, the earth moves. Now I know why it can't be measured by any Richter scale.

She is a big thing and in constant flux our planet and with every death the earth ends for some one.

Get a grip, Ky.

In reply to #19

06/10/2010 5:34 PM

you can fill Tornadoe's five jugs with your juice.

Guru

In reply to #23

06/10/2010 5:58 PM

I would rather keep Del happy. Not going to move the earth this one either. Relax, its not going to happen, Ky.

In reply to #24

06/10/2010 7:29 PM

all good. www.thevenusproject.com is still the answer to ANY question.

Guru

In reply to #25

06/11/2010 3:24 AM

Yep, beats a cocky squirrel any day. Thanks for that link. I'll have a look at it over the weekend. Seems like down my alley, Ky.

In reply to #25

06/15/2010 7:24 PM

Thanks again

Like a childhood dream come true. Very entertaining. If God would have money he would build like that. Potentially it looks like human habitat and I have seen some examples in real life.

For me worth a day trip but nothing beats the bush and the wideness and the stars. Devoid of all human footprint and no vision of the future needed. Another childhood dream bubble burst. Very interesting and beautiful looking but more like a hobby for the rich and their dogs.

It was time well spent, Ky.

In reply to #39

06/16/2010 8:40 PM

thank you. it is my vision of the future. our future. ;-)

Anonymous Poster

Re: Earthquake Caused by Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill?

06/09/2010 2:36 AM

I think it's going to cause the New Madrid fault line to crack. It has to disturb something. All that oil pouring out is causing a void.... nature abhors a vacuum and I think the rocks are going to start sliding around under ground. Watch for a quake up the Mississippi River inland somewhere.... like the New Madrid fault line.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #20

06/10/2010 5:21 PM

to everyone who thinks they know what they are talking about with such certaintity, please visit WWW.THEVENUSPROJECT.COM lose the self importance and combine skills and ingenuity for a class I civilization. We MUST remove ourselves from the oil teet!!!

Participant

In reply to #20

08/10/2011 7:34 AM

I realise I am late to the party but yes, I agree. I could wax-lyrical like the nay-sayers to try to qualify my opinion, but at the end of the day you are correct - free release of oil does contribute significantly to certain earthquakes. Unfortunately accountability from BP could not undo the damage done so, as frustrating as it is, "truth" in this case may be a fruitless endeavour. BTW, some of these posts in reply to your question are overly rude. It is annoying to those of us wanting a mature conversation on a topic of interest to have unhelpful replies and put downs. Continue with your mission to arrive at an answer that you are satisfied with. That is the basic principle of science and discovery and curiosity and being human. good on you.

Guru

In reply to #59

08/10/2011 9:20 AM

Welcome to the mad house. Like anywhere else on this blue pebble, you will find people here at CR4 who let their passions overwhelm them into rude behavior. Most of time it is really just some pleasant jabs among friends that an outsider misreads as rude behavior. There are those times though that passions do boil over into verbal abuse. The truly profane responses are regularly moderated by administrators but I look at the occasional rudeness in a Zen like perspective. If rude but well reasoned arguments were not permitted here, then praise for an argument and more importantly polite disagreements would have a skewed value that will obfuscate their merit.

06/14/2010 12:12 AM
Geologist Offers a New Theory

Gulf's Evolution Makes the Shakes

View Enlargement of Rift Zone Map Graphics courtesy of Jack Reed

The New Madrid seismic zone in Missouri has long intrigued scientists because, according to conventional geologic theory, large earthquakes clustered in a tectonically quiet region are difficult to understand.

But at least one AAPG member is challenging the crowd.

New Orleans independent geologist Jack M. Reed believes the origin of the earthquakes lies beneath the Gulf of Mexico.

That's not all.

Reed, a retired Texaco geologist-geophysicist who has been studying the region's geology for over 40 years, says the accepted theory of a quiet geologic evolution of the Gulf of Mexico Basin is fundamentally flawed and needs to be revised.

According to him, the Gulf was and is tectonically active -- and it is the likely origin for not only the New Madrid seismic activity, but also for the Middleton Place-Summerville seismic zone near Charleston, S.C.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #30

06/14/2010 12:14 AM

Here is link to entire article [see above]

http://www.aapg.org/explorer/2002/11nov/rift_zone.cfm

~

06/14/2010 1:24 AM

New member here

I posted the posts above.

I'm interested in further comments

so I joined to subscribe to the topic.

Guru

In reply to #33

06/14/2010 9:05 AM

Welcome Drago, Membership has it's benefits.

Anonymous Poster

06/14/2010 11:04 AM

I may be totally ignorant, but have wondered it extracting so much oil would actually cause more severe yet less frequent earthquakes. It seems like oil would act as a lubricant making it a little easier for the plates to move. Remove the oil and it seems like the plates would be more likely to bind up. When enough pressure built up, they would slip more violently.

Again, I am not a geologist, but it is one of those things that I wonder about.

Also, in response to the gulf oil spill, I actually live and work along the coast. About a week before the spill, I felt what I initially thought was a rig explosion but after scanning the horizen and seeing no mushroom cloud in either Mobile Bay or in the gulf, I concluded that it had to be a small earthquake. Another option was later presented to me...that drilling crews would actually blast through difficult bedrock formations thousands of feet below the floor of the gulf. I haven't been able to get confirmation of either, but only a week later, the deepwater horizen went up.

Anyone who wants to discuss any of this, you can google me...Jason Peterman...I am not too hard to find.

06/14/2010 12:46 PM

~

Last year there were several unusual small earthquakes

near Cleburne, Texas [south of Dallas/Ft Worth] which

were blamed on gas drilling in the area.

Later re-injection wells were blamed.

~

7th Earthquake Hits Johnson County Town

" Some are focusing questions on natural gas drilling in the city. There are 200 wells in Cleburne. Even though geologists say it is a big leap to connect the two because the earthquakes are more than 3 miles down. "That is well below the drilling activity, but we didn't have these until the drilling, so it makes you wonder", says City Manager, Chester Nolen. "

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-cleburne-quake-dawn-story,0,6912579.story

~

Earthquake ? Close 2 Chesapeake Re-Injection Wells

http://cbs11tv.com/local/earthquake.earthquakes.natural.2.1128016.html

~

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #36

06/15/2010 1:58 PM

300+ earthquakes in Southern CA area in the span of 13 hours and you can't tell me that they are not related to the HUGE amounts of oil gushing out in the Gulf!!!!

Guru

In reply to #37

06/15/2010 2:40 PM

That's correct I cannot say that they are related from the information you've given. Was there normally 500+ earthquakes in a span of 26 hours? You cannot claim that A caused B unless you can show that prior to A, B was significantly different from after A. Significantly different means that any perceived change in B was greater than normal random variations.

06/18/2010 12:06 PM

let's look at it the other way around....could the Haiti earthquake have had any role in BP's problems at the Deepwater Horizon site...perhaps by increasing pressure on that patch of oil?

Guru

In reply to #42

06/18/2010 12:31 PM

Yes it is plausible that the Haiti earthquake had a role in the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Yes it is plausible that extracting so much subterranean material as our thirst for oil demands, that we could be changing the frequency and magnitude of quakes around the world. But since we cannot predict earthquakes, we cannot predict what our efforts will do to earthquakes. We also cannot predict what effect an earthquake will have on an exploratory well, since we didn't know what was there before hand. The only thing that we can say is that we've yet to see any linkage with oil extraction and earthquake results.

In reply to #43

06/23/2010 5:41 PM

Oil extractions before this huge oil spill have been in a controlled setting. I agree with most of what you said in this comment, however, at the same time... it's not too hard to apply common-sense, logic, and science. Can we say POSTIVELY - no. But come onnn.

It's like God - you can go by what's been feed your entire life or again... apply from common-sense, logic, and science. But again - who knows, right?

Guru

06/23/2010 7:35 PM

The tragic oil release in the Gulf of Mexico does not cause earthquakes. It is all witchcraft. All of you internet witches are conspiring to shake this planet apart. We can only stop an even greater tragedy from happening by taking all of the internet witches and tossing them into Gulf of Mexico. Those unholy souls that the Gulf rejects by floating are witches. These witches should be burned on a stake to save the holy.

In reply to #48

06/24/2010 8:46 AM

I second that!

Anonymous Poster

08/08/2010 8:08 PM

Notice the semi-circle of earthquakes which would have an estimated center at the site of the BP gulf oil spill. USGS Map It is true that oil is being drilled around the world every day. The difference in this case is that it was free flowing for over 100 days. Also there are earthquakes constantly occurring that never get tied to a man made cause. In 1998 there was a huge earthquake that followed nuclear tests by India and Pakistan that killed almost 10 thousand people. I remember the earthquake was on the front page of USA Today and the nuclear test articles were on the second page. No one ever tied the resulting earthquake to the nuclear testing.. at least not publicly.

Anonymous Poster

08/31/2010 3:40 AM

Steel the pig heimerton, go ahead 'n steel it. no use for them pigs round here no more, seein as them forks that stopped the robbery on the news the other day done loaded barrels of hay stacked deep, stacked real deep. Deeper'n them pigs can reach.

ENTER Seeyestertren:

"Pig! Heeyahh! Heal the dark flesh from your bones. Grip the shank from its roots, and take hold as if one with the root. Pull."

Pig: Maaanaiimobreakdadpitch

Professor Hetherington: Of whom is the pig referring?

Reply to Forum Thread 60 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Ace Boeringa (5); Anonymous Poster (32); Del the cat (1); Drago (2); Enterprisetraveler (1); jack of all trades (1); ky (6); lizabelles (1); redfred (8); Tornado (1); TVP45 (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Stop Oil Spill in Deep Water   Next in Forum: Site on which to post sugestions to stop oil leak
You might be interested in: Spill Containment Systems, Oil Sensors and Analyzers, Oil Skimmers