Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: boiler operation   Next in Forum: FRP Mold and FRP Product Market in the USA
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Associate

3.2 Material Certification

07/03/2010 8:35 AM

Contract specifications for a project has instructed to provide 3.2 certification for the materials used in the fabrication/ construction (Oil & gas sector). This is also applicable for the instrumentation tubes and fittings which are used in the connection to process lines.

Can anybody explain what 3.2 certification is and how to make sure that the material certificates provided by the manufacturer is as per 3.2 material certification?

Any references would also be very helpful.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Participant

Re: 3.2 Material certification

07/03/2010 10:47 PM

Hello 3.2 cert is when inspected by 3rd party inspector, if my memory serves me right!

07/04/2010 11:10 AM

That's the definition according EN 10204 standard:

"Document prepared by both the manufacturer's authorized inspection representative, independent of the manufacturing department and either the purchaser's authorized inspection representative or the inspector designated by the official regulations and in which they declare that the products supplied are in compliance with the requirements of the order and in which test results are supplied.

It shall be permissible for the manufacturer to transfer on to the inspection certificate 3.2 relevant test results obtained by specific inspection on primary or incoming products he uses, provided that the manufacturer operates traceability procedures and can provide the corresponding inspection documents required"

Kind regards

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

07/04/2010 2:26 PM

yes, that is right acc. to EN 10204 2004

QA/QC ENG/ AMR SOLIMAN

PETROJET-EGYPT

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #2

07/05/2010 12:38 AM

Thanks...

What is the 3.2 certification acceptance criteria for inconel625 instrumentation tubes (3/8" x 0.065" wt) and associated fittings like connectors, tees, unions etc. (3/8", 3000#)?

Similarly, what is the 3.2 certification acceptance criteria for inox (SS316L) instrumentation tubes (1/2" x 0.083" wt) and associated fittings like connectors, tees, unions etc.(1/2", 3000#)?

Register to Reply
Guru
Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #4

07/05/2010 3:35 AM

Hi, I wrote #2 comment but I forgot to login.

The acceptance criteria must be included in the project/purchase order. You can't expect nobody gives you free something you didn't ask for. In the specific case of 3.2 certificates, as you have read is necessary the participation of some entity different to manufacturer and... that use to have costs.

Normally either inconel 625 or SS 316 need have to be defined according to some standard (ASME, ASTM, EN, or any other country standard). The requirements imposed in the standard are those which have to be certified.

Kind regards

In reply to #5

07/05/2010 6:03 AM

Thankyou Kwetz..

Let me rephrase my question. Project requirement calls for ASTM B444 Gr.1 & B446 materials. What all certificates should i ask for when ordering the materials from a supplier?

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #6

07/12/2010 10:04 AM

The material supplier should be able to supply the Certified Material Test Report (CMTR), otherwise known as the "mill test report." this will certify the material as to chemical and physical properties, and the material designation will conform to ASTM as to manufacturing requirements.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

0ilSlicker (1); Anonymous Poster (2); gkishorenair (2); J-Rod (1); Kwetz (1)

Previous in Forum: boiler operation   Next in Forum: FRP Mold and FRP Product Market in the USA
You might be interested in: Professional Certification Programs, Certification Services, Hazardous Material Storage