Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Avoid F1 key While On The Internet   Next in Forum: Drag and Drop in Windows XP
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Associate
Pakistan - Member - New Member

New Virus Makes Folders Invisible

07/07/2010 2:58 PM

Recently our organization's network was hit by a very peculiar kind of virus, which failed to be detected by even the latest hi-tech and famous antivirus softwares which i would not name.

The virus attacks only the folders and not the files. First the virus turns the folders into .exe files and then makes them invisible. The folder and the files within it then becomes inaccessible, although the folder and files are still there (we know it when we right click the drive for properties and see the size occupied, which is still there, but the folder invisible) but not visible to the user. Although the folder can be viewed in DOS prompt through 'dir/ad' command.

No antivirus software is able to cure this as yet. Has any body experienced this? How can we get rid of it??

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

Re: New Virus Makes Folders Invisible

07/07/2010 10:51 PM

One of the handiest tools I have found for ferreting out unknown viruses is installing a dual-boot instance of a Linux distro on the computer- one can access the MS sector for read only, and have a look at hidden files, etc. I have found viruses this way. One needs to know the name of the file one is looking for, but I have found that there are a number of tools around that can help determine what is actually running on the computer when booted into Windows- Glary Utilities comes to mind. Have a look at all the running processes, determine those that might be suspicious, and search for them on the Internet. If you find one that is suspicious, you can delete it from the Linux system. You can also recover your files from Linux. You should be able to see the folders, open them and copy the files to another medium from Linux.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 98
In reply to #1

07/08/2010 1:26 AM

It's a corrupted registry editor, maybe when removing flash drive while loading data

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #3

07/08/2010 2:26 AM

Thanks. Registry problems have a lot to do with why I abandoned Windows. My old fix used to be the "format c:" trick, but I don't recommend that to most people...

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

07/08/2010 1:24 AM

Hi there,

First Reboot and tap the F8 or delete key every second until the screen opens either black or blue with white letters. Select safe mode with networking; use up/down arrows and it will boot into safe mode, the start up will be different but relax and soon the sign on page will appear and the the resolution will be strange. Log into the administrative account then download F-secure Blacklight and run the scan and follow recommendations. Maybe nothing there, okay.

Next. in the start menu search box type regedit and then press enter. Find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL·

After finding these path you can look an see the file Checked Value,

Just double click the file and you have to modify the data value as DWORD Value to 1. ·

Closing the regedit then go to Tools –>Folder Options ·

Click on View Tab Options and then select Show Hidden files and Folders.

07/09/2010 7:36 AM

Actually we're using Windows XP and the DWORD Value in the registery is already 1. The folers are alright in our flash drives in the beginning but when we access them in our PCs, one by one the folders turn into .exe files and dissappear. I dont believe its a registery issue - Its a virus, in our PCs.

For now we have stopped storing our within folders and directly save individual files in the drives, not inside folders.

How can this problem be resolved without formatting the drives?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

07/10/2010 6:12 AM

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe and save it to your desktop.

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they may otherwise interfere

Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.

• The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

07/12/2010 2:44 PM

I downloaded, installed and ran the Flash Disinfector program but the folders in my USB are still invisible. Though I can see them from 'dir/ad' in DOS but not in windows.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

07/13/2010 8:29 PM

This is first the first time you've said that the files are on a flash drive what you need is data recovery

In reply to #8

07/14/2010 7:57 AM

I did mention it b4. Data recovery is what im using right now to recover the hidden data. But thats not the permanent solution. When i again insert the flash disk in my PC, again, the folders in the USB disappear one by one. What i forgot to mention is that before the folders turning to .exe and disappear, b4 that, our McAfee Antivirus gave a virus warning for each folder. After the folders went off, the same antvirus could NOT be detect any virus, neither in our PC nor in the USB.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

07/15/2010 9:42 PM

McAfee gets false positives too. On another computer download Avira rescue tool to disk then reboot with disk in drive and flash in port.

In reply to #9

02/23/2011 7:09 AM

had similar problem...solved it

go to this link and follow instructions

http://www.bharathtech.com/2010/10/finding-disappeared-files-and-folders.html

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bwire (5); cwarner7_11 (2); rizwan (3)

Previous in Forum: Avoid F1 key While On The Internet   Next in Forum: Drag and Drop in Windows XP
You might be interested in: Printed Document Storage Systems, Document Scanning Services, Anti-malware Software