Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: why we are still manufacturing energy inefficient filament bulbs   Next in Forum: News Article About Titanium Dfioxide
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Participant

Looking for IP Camera

08/02/2010 9:39 AM

I would like to find an IP camera that will connect to my website. I would like to have multiple cameras in a variable number of locations to connect to my site so that I can view them.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1069

Re: Looking for IP Camera

08/02/2010 10:41 AM

I just bought one for work, but hooked it up here at home this morning.

It took about 15 minutes to hook it up and get the picture on my laptop.

Believe me, if I can do it, anybody can.

The model I bought requires a router, as well, but since I already had that I've got about $80.00USD in the system.

It takes no special talent, so go for it.

Google "IP camera" and you're on your way.

In reply to #1

08/02/2010 10:48 AM

I'm looking for something easy that my grandma could do :). I would prefer no router configuration so that I could send her the camera, plug it in, and have it display on my website.

I realize that I could use numerous services that already exist (Windows Live Messenger, Skype, etc.), but I have alterior motives for the system.

Ideally, I program the camera here (not sure how to do this yet), then mail it to different locations, have them plug it in via an ethernet cable, or wireless, and have the live feed shown on my website.

Bonus Point: I would like it to transmit audio as well.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #2

08/02/2010 10:54 AM

I think it's do-able. My camera/router just happened to be in the same room as I am, but there was no reason to touch it once it was plugged in and powered up. And there is no physical connection.

Yes, it has audio.

There are people here who can tell you in agonizing detail how to make it work.

Good luck.

In reply to #3

08/02/2010 11:08 AM

What camera did you use? I have a tech guy researching for me, then will tell me what it is going to cost... That could be scary. I'd much rather tell him that I found a great alternative that I am going to try first.

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

08/02/2010 12:02 PM

It depends what you want. My $80.00USD camera is not very sharp. I want to see who comes in the front door from my office down the hall. If you are concerned about your relative, get a better camera, get a recorder, too.

I looked at some 4 camera recording systems for around $5-600.00USD.

OK for $80.00 you get640 x480 pixel, 1/4" color CMOS sensor, 60° lens, 30fps, built in mic.

I'll PM the model to you.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 35

08/02/2010 11:33 AM

I have a few IP cameras I use at home the brand of one with audio is foscam which there are also lots of clones of. They are wireless pan and tilt and have two way audio as well, although the quality of the audio is very poor.

They were easy to set up but to get them out on the web I did have to adjust my router to forward ports to them.

I think they make some cameras that are pre configured to send video to a server that you can then access Their might also be some plug and play cameras that configure your router for you, I have no experience with either of them however.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 129

08/02/2010 12:22 PM

If you have your computer on you might be interested in a print - or for laptop, yes as host - Check CYtech. (Shenzhen - China) My experience is OK for 1 web camera with IP. But if you plan installing many your bandwidth will be all taken. A DVR has only one IP - I have systems with up to 32 cameras installed on cable high speed connection. I monitor 4 clients at the same time, with different DVR's. CYtech is good - cameras cost between $27.00 - up to $550.00 for outside PTZ domes. Very good image - 400 to 520 lines. If you buy a DVR, go for a high sample rate. The little print in box - 4 channels - 2 sound is also very good. You record on your HDD.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 43

08/03/2010 4:36 AM

Another option is the 3rdi system, a stand alone camera that you can access through your mobile phone. It can send alerts to your phone but I guess would not allow continuous monitoring, just looking in from time to time. Se a video here.

10/11/2010 9:29 PM

The equipment is the easy part. Its the guy who made your webpage that has to allow the images to "stream" to the site. If many cameras then you'll want low Mega Pixel cams cause these cams are bandwitdth hungry. Consider that and how "fast" you want your webpage to be before adding all the cams or make it a selectable item so they feed 1 x 1 and it does not slow your webpage down.

Cheers

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dvmdsc (1); frankd20 (1); lyn (3); Nigh (1); rklockner (2); TonCab (1)

Previous in Forum: why we are still manufacturing energy inefficient filament bulbs   Next in Forum: News Article About Titanium Dfioxide
You might be interested in: Camera Control Units, IP Cores, Camera Filters