CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: RGD Formulation   Next in Forum: Zinc Phospate - Copper Finish on Some Area
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Anonymous Poster

Difference Between Uphill & Downhill Welding

09/26/2010 3:58 AM

Is there any strength diffrence between vertical up hill and down hill welding?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56

Re: Difference Between Uphill & Downhill Welding

09/26/2010 8:46 PM

There is more chance of slag (used flux, surface contaminant's, etc) getting into a vertical weld done downhill. Downhill is usually not recommended, many times flatly prohibited.

The weldor really can't see what is happening, either, the slag is over-running the weld in progress. Uphill allows the weldor to see what is happening, the salg flows away from the weld.

Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Re: Difference Between Uphill & Downhill Welding

09/29/2010 1:03 PM

Having spent years performing tensile breaks on weld coupons for WPS/PQR and welder Quals, my response would be that I have not seen any real difference in the strength of welds made by Uphill vs. Down hill welding. Ultimately the biggest factor in strength comes from the quality of the weld. The number, size, length and depth or through wall size of the discontinuities in the weld have the biggest effect on strength. Weld rod is made with a certain tensile strength, as long as the weld metal is properly fused and blended with the parent material the deposited weld metal will have those strength characteristics. Uphill welding can go a long way to help insure that proper fusion is achieved. You also have to check the positions and weld direction for which the rod has been approved and tested. SMAW 6010 runs downhill very easily for most welders whereas most welders I know much prefer to run SMAW 7018 uphill. If in doubt, I recommend running the proper tests on the Base metal/weld metal combination in both directions, this would include bends and breaks, to determine what best fits your application.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Previous in Forum: RGD Formulation   Next in Forum: Zinc Phospate - Copper Finish on Some Area

Advertisement