Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Significance of Let Through Energy in Power System   Next in Forum: How to Calculate the Earthing Strip Used for Earthing of Any Equipment Ht or Lt
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

10 comments
Anonymous Poster

I Am New to Wiring and Circut Boards...Please Help

10/12/2010 1:00 AM

I am trying to fix my board on my computer and its an old one. anyway there are a couple bad compasitors on it and I need to know what kind of range do I need to stay in between to keep things working properly???

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: I am new to wiring and circut boards...please help

10/12/2010 2:19 AM

If your computer is 10 years old or older, put in your garbage can and have a new one.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 579
In reply to #1

10/13/2010 3:32 AM

Tutty-tut! In Europe, the WEEE Directive applies, and the equipment must be deposited at a licensed recycling centre.

10/12/2010 2:53 AM

try this for blown out fuse

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

10/12/2010 3:23 AM

Hmm ... blue. Is that 15A (car type) or 200A (industrial)?

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

10/12/2010 10:12 AM

Its neither car nor industrial, Its domestic !

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

10/12/2010 10:25 AM

Then it's a non-standard colour code, an should not be used.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

10/12/2010 10:51 AM

Well standards are made it can be altered.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 544

10/12/2010 4:00 AM

Trust me, unless you do electronics for a living you are wasting your time and money.
I design electronic circuits for a living and I probably wouldn't try, (and certainly not without full circuit diagrams)
If components have blown, replacing them probably won't help as the fault is probably elsewhere and will have caused other faults too.
Unless all faults are cleared together, you will just have more failures.
Del

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 27

Re: I Am New to Wiring and Circut Boards...Please Help

10/12/2010 8:39 AM

As others have said, it's probably not really worth fixing if it's more than a few years old, BUT if you are determined to try, just replace the CAPACITORS with ones that have the same value and voltage rating. If the temperature rating is 85 deg C, I would replace them with 105 deg C caps. There were a lot of computer motherboards that were manufactured with inferior caps. As Del said, the capacitors could just be a symptom of a larger problem, or when they failed, it could have caused other components to fail as well. I will admit I have repaired one motherboard with bad caps by replacing them. If you are going to take the time/effort to do it, be sure to use good quality parts. These caps are usually difficult to remove/replace, because of the multi-layer construction of these motherboards. It can take quite a bit of heat, and you must be careful not to overheat other parts or the board itself when removing the old ones. If it were me, I would also replace ALL caps that are of the same value and voltage rating at the same time. Even those that don't show evidence of failure are likely bad, or going bad.

One last comment; don't have too high of hopes that the motherboard is going to spring back to life when your done. That way, if it does, you will be very happy, but if it doesn't, you can just go on with life without getting too upset about the wasted effort. If you cannot adopt that attitude, then I would suggest not starting in the first place :)

Tom D.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56

Re: I Am New to Wiring and Circut Boards...Please Help

10/12/2010 11:00 PM

You are looking into a very deep subject. Electronics is a good trade, but it takes a lot of time to learn. If you can take classes on it and get advice from professionals in the trade, you have a chance.

Read any books on basic electronics you can get. You will soon find there are lots of terms, words, and procedures to learn.

There are lots of expensive tools and testing devices necessary. You will need a work space that does not get disturbed, and has good light.

Stay away from old televisions, and computer monitors. They aren't worth fixing, and the tube can kill you if you get too close to it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); Del the cat (1); mike k (1); PWSlack (1); tdesmit (1)

Previous in Forum: Significance of Let Through Energy in Power System   Next in Forum: How to Calculate the Earthing Strip Used for Earthing of Any Equipment Ht or Lt
You might be interested in: Wiring Ducts, Cement Boards, Fiber Optic Wiring Accessories