Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: NFPA Fire Alarm/Public Address System   Next in Forum: Star Delta Starter - 415v
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

7 comments
Anonymous Poster

Supply For Spring Charging Motor

10/29/2010 6:48 AM

From where is the supply tapped for spring charging motor of a 33kV VCB panel?? The HT panel has 1 incoming and 2 outgoings. What is the procedure for tapping the supply for all the spring charging motors in the panel?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 157

Re: supply for spring charging motor

10/29/2010 7:22 AM

There will be an auxiliary supply, quite often DC with a battery backup. This is used for the motor and other aux devices like shunt-trip coil, closing coil etc.

In reply to #1

10/29/2010 7:57 AM

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply. However, it is specified as 230V AC supply for the spring charging motor by the manufacturer. Kindly advise.

Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #3

10/29/2010 8:43 AM

Sure, 230V AC is also a preferred aux supply. As you must be aware, this can be taken from the single-phase domestic lighting supply that will be available at the substation. However, i would strongly recommend the use of a normal UPS as a backup in the event of aux power failure.

India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

10/29/2010 7:25 AM

110V DC motor is used for VCB of 12000V,2120 KVAR.

Guru

Good Answers: 245

Re: Supply For Spring Charging Motor

10/29/2010 8:48 PM

The type of voltage (AC or DC) and the range of the voltage (generally 220V, 120V, 110V, 24V etc.) for the VCB spring charging motor (as well as the control power supply for closing coil, tripping coil etc.) are indicated in the VCB data sheet. In most cases, there is the option to choose this voltage at the time the VCB is purchased.

The spring charging voltage and the control voltage are generally supplied from the DC source (Battery charger and batteries system) or the UPS system or at least some sort of reliable source so that the supply is guaranteed all the times (especially the control supply). However, in almost all types of CB, there is manual charging option so that the spring can be charged manually when no power is available (especially for maintenance purposes). Keep in mind, the spring that we are talking here is the closing spring. The tripping spring is automatically charged when the beaker is closed. If you are interested about the CB operating mechanism, see this thread: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/39932/Breaker-closing-and-tripping-mechanism

Note: I intentionally mentioned this thread here because I described the CB operating mechanism as simple as possible there in comment # 1. I can bet, it is rare available in any document. In my early career, I was involved with the maintenance of CB operating mechanism and figured it out after doing lot research to understand how the mechanism works.

- MS

"All my technical advices in this forum must be consulted with and approved by a local registered professional engineer before implementation" - Mohammed Samad (Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/msamad)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 142

10/30/2010 6:17 AM

I've only being involved with solenoid closing mechanisms. Any that involved distribution equipment had a DC supply from a battery bank, others for motor starting etc. were DC but mains supplied via a rectifier.

Relying on an external AC source with no UPS facility seems foolish to me.

The battery supply can go wrong as I found out, some clown had turned off the battery charger! Result dip in supply, main breaker to one section of the board tripped on UV. Unfortunately the charger was fed from that section. Couldn't close the bus section because the batteries were flat. I had to borrow batteries off 11 cars and vans to get us away!

02/25/2011 11:43 AM

Hi Dear Friend,

There is an auxiliary supply at your Recveiving Station which is provided through a dedicated Auxiliary Transformer installed at the station. Typically an auxiliary transformer is 33KV/415V. The 230V AC output is used generally to supply to the Induction Motor which is used to turn the gear system to spring charge the Breaker.

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); hithuanand (1); jay gan (1); kvsridhar (2); msamad (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: NFPA Fire Alarm/Public Address System   Next in Forum: Star Delta Starter - 415v
You might be interested in: Spring and Wire Forming Machines, Spring Pins