CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Heater Manifold on Big Block 7.4/454 GM Motors   Next in Forum: Electrical Generator
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments

2008 Honda Civic Service Code A124

01/03/2011 10:32 PM

Hello - I have a 2008 Honda Civic - 4cyl gas . I perform all my own maintenance. The car turned 98000 miles last week. A new code appeared A124. This code appears on the same screen as the oil life . This is normally reset by turning the key to the // position then press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. The Oil Life read out will start to flash on and off then reset to 0%. With this new fault / warning code A124 it prevents me from resetting the Oil Life back to 0%. Has anybody reset this code without returning the car to the Honda dealer. I'm sure it is a code to haev the brakes checked, antifreeze changed etc.... ( all of this has been done in the past )

Thank you in advance for any light that can be shed on this issue. It is appreciated.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster

Re: 2008 Honda Civic Service Code A124

01/04/2011 10:51 PM

Sorry, the only codes that you can reset are P codes and it requires a scanner that you can purchase at your local autozone or parts wharehouse. This A124 code is a factory code and you must go to the dealer for they "only" have this scanner to read the A124 code.

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

01/05/2011 7:04 AM

Thank you very much for the information.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 112

01/06/2011 10:01 PM

Try a google search of "Honda A124 code" See what that yields. Good luck.

Good Answers: 14

01/07/2011 11:49 PM

A124 is not a diagnostic trouble code but is the Honda maintenance codes So A124 would mean: A Replace engine oil, 1 Rotate tire, 2 Replace air cleaner element - If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). - Replace dust and pollen filter - If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). - Inspect drive belt 4 Replace spark plugs - Inspect valve clearance

Symbol A:- Replace engine oil

Symbo lB: - Replace engine oil and oil filter - Inspect front and rear brakes - Check parking brake adjustment - Inspect these items: - Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots - Suspension components - Driveshaft boots - Brake hoses and lines (including ABS) - All fluid levels and condition of fluids - Exhaust system - Fuel lines and connections

Number 1: - Rotate tires

Number 2: - Replace air cleaner element - If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). - Replace dust and pollen filter - If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). - Inspect drive belt

Number 3: - Replace transmission fluid

Number 4: - Replace spark plugs - Inspect valve clearance

Number 5: - Replace engine coolant

To clear the maintenance codes follow the following steps

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position. 2. Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life indicator is displayed. 3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink. 4. Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code(s) will disappear, and the engine oil life will reset to "100".

Hope this helps

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 112
In reply to #4

01/10/2011 12:43 PM

Good answer. The information was just what the OP needed.

In reply to #4

01/12/2011 7:27 AM

Hello - Thank you for your reply Did as you suggested - Press the SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life indicator is displayed. 3. Press the SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) did blink. > both the code and oil life blinked for 21 seconds then came back on solid ( not blinking ) I continue to hold the SEL/RESET in for additional 60 seconds - no change.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

01/25/2011 9:07 PM

Sorry that I didn't see your response sooner. You may have to repeat the sequence several times but it should take and reset. I ill do some checking and See if I an find any more info or another way to release the maintenance code display as I should be in town for a while and not on the road and working so much. At least I hope so

In reply to #7

01/26/2011 9:14 PM

Thank you for the reply Jim, Last week my Honda Civic turned 100,000 miles - now the "wrench" icon stays on all the time- The oil life percentage hit 0% so now it displays the negative miles being driving in place of the oil life % being displayed -the negative mileage flashes along the A124 code upon startup until I change the menu. I have performed all the required maintenance including valve lash adjustments, flush the coolant system , thermostat, changed front and rear pads , Automatic transmission fluid, serpentine belt and of course all filters - I called the Honda dealer where I purchased the car - they still want to perform the inspection with resetting the A124 code for a charge of $150.00. There must be a way to reset this code - I can't believe a independant garage is not allowed to reset this code .

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

01/27/2011 1:40 AM

Let me get hold of a guy I know here in Texas tomorrow and find out what he can tell me he builds Hondas for street perfomance and also full race and worked for Honda for about 10 years and still does a lot of work for the local Honda dealer. Maybe he can give a little more knowledge on getting it to reset.

In reply to #6

01/31/2011 2:50 PM

Once the oil life and maintenance indicator are blinking you must release and then press and hold for 5 seconds and it should reset to oil life at 100% and maint. indicator should go out. My friend here told me that he has had to perform the clear function several times on occasions but has always cleared for him.

In reply to #10

02/06/2011 9:13 PM

Good evening Jim, Thank you for the reply - will try the new procedure Monday.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (2); Jspeop (4); Rich4809 (4)

Previous in Forum: Heater Manifold on Big Block 7.4/454 GM Motors   Next in Forum: Electrical Generator
You might be interested in: Bar Code Scanners, Bar Code Cards, Bar Code Software

Advertisement