Close

Rating Vote:

17 comments
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3

USB Serial Port Driver Windows 7

01/26/2011 4:18 AM

I have some Scanning software that runs well on windows XP we use it for RF work . We have to change computers because the old one is not supported any more, The new units are very fast and Good , but they all run Windows 7. The software will load, but the USB lead will not transfer Data. The OSM is that the device has not connected. further investigation says the USB Serial driver is not loaded. I can not find a suitable driver. Can anyboby help.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 549

Re: USB Serial Port driver Windows 7

01/26/2011 4:56 AM

Sounds like you are shafted like the rest of us. My Trust graphics tablet wont work on my new PC with windows 7. Trust tell me they "can't write a new diver for 64bit systems for this broduct" WALOOB, they mean they can't be bothered!
I think the only simple options are get a new driver from the equipment manufacturer, or run an old pc on XP dedicated to that application.
I'll watch with interest, BTW I gave my Daught' the graphics tablet, maybe it will work on her mac.
Del

In reply to #1

Re: USB Serial Port driver Windows 7

01/26/2011 5:15 AM

I would love to get a new driver from the manufacturer but they are Russian.. and Communication is a bit fragmented.. I will wait see if any GURU on the board knows a thing or two..

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 4

Re: USB Serial Port Driver Windows 7

01/26/2011 7:52 AM

Have you tried un-installing the scanner software and re-installing it yet? I now (Windows 7 upgraded too) have to screw around with some of my port settings to enable me to communicate with some of my devices that worked the night before. Perhaps there is a new USB adapter that you can plug into your scanner equipment that will operate under Windows 7. Yes, I dual boot operating systems too. That may be another alternative for you until you can resolve the Windows 7 issue is trying running your scanner software under a Linux version operating system. It may work. You might have to run the software using a Windows emulator. There are lots of folks on here that are very knowledgeable in that area.

P.S. I recommend you don't "upgrade" to the latest IE9 Beta either if you have not done so yet. It is not ready and should have never been put on a public server. Things that were not broke or in a bad location have been "fixed", moved or just plain gone. I understand the concept of Betas and often I am one of the first ones to jump in a do testing for developers, but this IE9 Beta is not even at a Beta level for external customers yet.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

01/26/2011 9:08 AM

If the serial driver is in the software a serial to USB converter might work for you.

Oops, if your platform has a serial port.

Good Answers: 5

01/26/2011 9:52 AM

Perhaps you can do the Windows XP in Virtual Machine mode under Windows 7. If you are using Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, setting up a Virtual Macine is built in. Contact the Microsoft website for more info.

In reply to #5

01/26/2011 11:53 AM

I thought about that but the Laptop is used in the field and only has win7 home on it, and I think I am not allowed to upgrade it.. otherwise a VM with XP would be the answer.. I might ask if we can upgrade .. but for the moment I would like to try to run the USB serial port. That is what the scanner is configured to do..However.. If I can not get it to work they may have to upgrade . Seems a little counter-intuitive to upgrade a system so you can run a downgrade.. just to get the software to work on an upgraded machine though..

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #6

01/27/2011 2:44 AM

you can use Oracles Virtual Box if you have a copy of XP to install, The 4.0.2 version has very usable USB support once you install the extension pack

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 38

01/27/2011 12:33 AM

What is the software? Version?

In reply to #7

01/28/2011 3:56 AM

The software is called Rascan And I have the very latest version..

United Kingdom - Member - New Member China - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 1

01/27/2011 12:52 AM

On Windows 7 some things won't run properly unless you enable administartor rights.

Right clcik on the shortcut or exe file, click properties, and security or compatability tab (I'm not sat with a Win 7 system at the moment so can't remember exactly). Select run as Administrator. Also you can choose from here to run in a compatability mode for a previous version of windows.

This may help or I may be way of the mark.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #8

01/30/2011 11:52 PM

Hi mac....!

Try varrus75 post 8 solution. That is run Rascan in compatiability mode, select windows xp from drop down menu, by right clicking the executable of Rascan. Also check any other executables(.exe) in subdirectories where the Rascan is installed, change their running mode to XP compatible by same above said procedure.

In reply to #14

02/08/2011 6:09 AM

Still had connection problems with Win 7 I did a dual boot ..Xp+Win7.. results are good I just switch to win7 for image processing...

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 158

01/28/2011 8:20 AM

Dual booting with XP may work if you can get permission to do that....

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 402

01/29/2011 12:33 PM

You might try shopping around for a netbook instead of a laptop. You can still get netbooks that run XP. You might need to add an auxiliary CD/DVD-ROM if your software is on a CD; or you could transfer files to a USB memory stick and load then onto the netbook that way. Here's a link to netbooks via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_operating_system_mrr_4?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A565108%2Ck%3Anetbook%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A562222011&bbn=565108&keywords=netbook&ie=UTF8&qid=1296322132&rnid=562215011

In reply to #12

01/29/2011 12:45 PM

Netbook would be a good alternative but I have to work with the tools I have got. I think I will try a dual boot with XP..I have a copy I no longer use.. Thanks for the input..

In reply to #13

02/10/2011 3:46 AM

Hi merc600sec

Let try this :

Plug in your device. Reboot the computer while device is pluged. You should be connected to internet also. When you got your desktop. Click this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly
It may update your serial usb driver, and thats it.

Hope for a cheer !

In reply to #16

02/10/2011 5:44 AM

Thanks for the Advice .. but I solved the prob by having a dual boot setup..

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Del the cat (1); Garthh (1); merc600sec (6); MRH620 (1); ormondotvos (1); RDGRNR (1); Rotag1 (1); Usbport (1); varrus75 (1); wahaj87 (2)

Previous in Forum: Ansys   Next in Forum: PLC SR-Function Question
You might be interested in: USB Connectors, Waveguide Pressure Windows, Windows