Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Understanding Oil Weight Numbers   Next in Forum: 2002 Trailblazer Wiring Problems
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

16 comments

Good Answers: 1

Convert alternator output to 110V ac

01/26/2011 10:33 AM

I am helping my grandson with a science project. We have hooked up a Delphi alternator to a stationnary bike amd want to convert the output of the alternator to 110V AC. I have a PowerBright #PW200-12 200W power inverter but the manufacturer tells me it will not work connected directly to an alternator. Al I need to power is a 40W light and a radio while we are pedalling the stationnary bike.

Any help would be greatly apprecisted

Bernie

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: 110V ac alternator power invertes
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 110

Re: Convert alternator output to 110V ac

01/26/2011 11:06 AM

Try putting a capacitor in the circuit as you would if you were using a battery. I am not familiar with the inverter you are using, but it may work without the battery, but with a wider output voltage range. Additionally, you may need the battery to get the alternator to start to charge.

Perhaps you can build the project with a battery, and then remove it from the circuit once generating voltage comes up to normal.

In reply to #1

01/27/2011 10:26 AM

I don't know anything about car charging circuits.

I would like to know what capacitor you are referring to and how I should wire it between the alternator and the inverter.

Thank you for your response

Bernie

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

In reply to #4

01/27/2011 10:42 AM

Most of the Delphi alternators are equipped with internal voltage regulators. But, they will not charge if there is no voltage connected to the output terminal of it. It may be possible to use a large capacitor of the type used by auto stereo installation shops. Just connect one terminal of the cap to alternator output, and the other cap terminal to the ground.

Warning, this is my theory only. I understand that you desire to run the project with no battery, but automotive alternators were not designed to work without a battery in the system. Generators would do this, because they would build up some residual magnetism. ( Remember flashing them when first rebuilding them.)

Good Answers: 4

01/27/2011 6:29 AM

Please let us know if this "Delphy" alternator is a 12V like a car alternator; if so just use your PC's UPS if it is a 110V.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

01/27/2011 10:29 AM

The delphi is a 12V car alternator with a built in voltage regulator. I was told it puts out 0V or 12V only.

Your suggestion about using a UPS sounds interesting How would I configure it to be able to charge it with the alternator and run my inverter with it.

Bernie

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 19

01/27/2011 7:35 AM

If you are using an alternator off an auto, you will need to have an induced voltage to the unit before it will charge. There will then need to be a voltage regulator designed for the alternator in use to maintain the charging circuit in order for it to be used to produce the voltage to an inverter. For a simple charging circuit you can search the internet for this information. A good source for your needs would be one of the farm tractor sites like Farmal, they use these simple circuits.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

01/27/2011 10:32 AM

The delphi is a 12V car alternator with a built in voltage regulator. I was told it puts out 0V or 12V only.

How do I create an indused voltage to get the alternator to charge.

I was not able to get on the Farmal to get the proper information

Bernie

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56

01/27/2011 10:58 AM

Hooking the alternator to the UPS battery should work. The alternator will see 12 volts from the battery and energize. The UPS will convert the 12 volts to ac for your experiment.

Have a meter to show the voltage increase from the alternator to prove that you are drawing power from the alternator, not the battery. Do not remove the battery from the circuit, the alternator does not like that.

In reply to #8

01/27/2011 11:08 AM

Than you

I have an extra UPS battery. Do I need anything between the alternator to charge the battery. I have only a positive terminal on the alternator, do I use the housing as a negative or ground.

Thank you

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

01/27/2011 11:17 AM

Just use the housing from the alternator connected to negative of the battery.

But, the battery connected to the inverter will power the light and fan without the bike/alternator. This will not have the same visual results as running without the battery.

In reply to #10

01/27/2011 11:26 AM

Can I pedal the bike and charge the battery while I am using the light and the fan. If I can do that it will be an adequate visual effect.

To recap;

1. I connect the alternator directly to the battery using the housing of the alternator as the negtive terminal.

2 I connect my power inverter to the battery terminals.

I will then have 2 wires connecting the alternator to the battery and 2 wires connecting the invertor to the battery.

I hope this is correct and will work. You will make me a hero with my grandson ( I will give you the credit you deserve)

Thank you

Bernie

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

01/27/2011 11:33 AM

You have it right. Try to use one color of wire for positive, and another for negative. The wires for the alternator should be 12 to 10 gage. Do you have the wiring harness from the alternator? There may be one or two additional terminals on the back. One of them may be able to be connected to a switch to allow "turning on" the alternator to show the difference in fan speed and bulb brightness. Good luck.

In reply to #12

01/27/2011 12:28 PM

Thank you very much. I do not have a wiring harness . I have a speedometer on the bike and will use my voltage meter to determine what speed my grandson needs to pedal to get the 12 V output.

Again thank yopu very much for a simple solution to my problem

Bernie

Register to Reply

In reply to #13

03/15/2011 9:58 PM

Pedalling is thirsty work.

The project worked perfectly and my grandson was tickled pink because he was the star of the show.

The total cost of this project was about $ 100.00. The stationnary bike was donated. The rebuilt alternator cost $ 20.00. The inverter cost $ 30.00 . The drive belt about $ 15.00 and the UPS battery about $ 20.00 Plus coost of miscellanous bolts and nuts.

Thank you again for all your help

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #15

03/17/2011 1:34 PM

Congratulations. First on the quality time with the grandson. Second, on the successful outcome of the project. And last, but not least, on getting CR4 to work on homework.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1058

01/27/2011 3:41 PM

Hi bernardmoss,

Don't forget to send us a picture of the demo.

Cheers

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); bernardmoss (4); bob c (5); fixitorelse (1); jurie sa (1); lyn (1); mike k (1)

Previous in Forum: Understanding Oil Weight Numbers   Next in Forum: 2002 Trailblazer Wiring Problems
You might be interested in: AC Motor Drives, DC to AC Converter Chips, AC Motors