Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Auto Transformer Starter Panel   Next in Forum: Neutral Grounding Resistor And Anti-Islanding Methods
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Active Contributor

Breaker Capacity Level Fro 380Volts Instead Of 220V

02/20/2011 6:34 AM

I have doubt to use the 220V 2Pole,MCB for 380V supply,What will happen only reducing short circuit current or mcb insulation level.Anyone can give the answer.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 579

Re: Breaker Capacity Level Fro 380Volts Instead Of 220V

02/20/2011 8:10 AM

Is the breaker rated to disconnect at 380V?

In reply to #1

02/20/2011 9:11 AM

Actually Maximunm rating of GE MCB breakers,Plug in type is 3P,240Volts only available@10KA,So if i use this breaker for 380 volts,what will happen?It will reduce short circuit level or Breaker Insulation level.I hope you will that things

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 579
In reply to #2

02/20/2011 5:05 PM

The contacts may melt when it breaks. Or an arc may be formed that causes it not to break when needed.

It's too risky, so don't do it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 553

02/20/2011 9:12 AM

If the breaker is not rated to interrupt the applied voltage in any application you run the grave risk of burning everything to the ground.

You now have a serious problem for yourself though. It looks like you've used an English phonetic version of your real name or somebody's real name. All of your questions involve circuit breakers. Wherever there is a Mohamed Hajah working as an electrician, you've left a trail that implies electrical incompetence. If any panel burns a place to the ground that was ever serviced by Mohamed Hajah well a quick Google search will not be good.

In reply to #3

02/20/2011 9:37 AM

You don't have rights to talk about me.If you know the answer give as a manner otherwise leave it .Try to behave as a professional way ok

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 587
In reply to #4

02/20/2011 10:38 PM

That was a very bad response.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 140

02/20/2011 9:54 AM

I think Red responded in a very professional manor.

I've just looked through your previous posts, based on the questions asked, incompetence does spring to mind.

Bear in mind any work you undertake you are responsible for. Any faults in the installation could lead to injury or death. Your call!

India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 154

02/20/2011 10:47 AM

Single-pole MCBs rated at 220V can be used in 3-pole, 3-phase formation for 380V. Not 2-pole.

Why don't you buy a new, 3-pole MCB from GE or anyone else?

Do not even think about short-circuit capacity, RRRV, de-ion grids, arc chutes, hammer-trip solenoid, current-limiting design...so on. Leave it to the experts.

In reply to #6

02/20/2011 11:05 AM

My panel board voltage schedule rating is 380/220V,MCB breakers 1P,2P,3P available at Max.240Volts.I already checked the market for ge,eletra,legrand MCB max.voltage rating is 240Volts.I need to use the 3Pole MCB plug in type breaker.In mitshubshi i found out the breaker rating,they mentioned like this AC 220/380V@3KA AC 220V@10KA,

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 56
In reply to #7

02/20/2011 3:36 PM

I think I might have understood your problem! If I misunderstand, and explain some things you already know, please forgive me. Please note that reply #8 is a good one.

1. An MCB is closed by hand. It opens automatically only due to an overcurrent.
  2. Those commonly used on domestic switchboards do not have any "voltage dependent" coils. This is in contrast with a relay or motor contactor - for which a 240V device may not work reliably over the range of a supply labeled as 220V [because their operating coils are connected in parallel with the supply].
  3. So if an MCB is rated for 415/240V 3 phase, obviously a 3 pole device would have to break 415 V for a phase to phase fault - but note 415V is broken by two poles in series, a single pole is only rated for 240V. A two pole breaker of the type could be suitable for two phases, say for feeding a 415 to 110V single phase transformer (but might not be rated for a 415V supply earthed on one pole!). There would be no problem breaking the rated 415V breaking current at 380V/220V 3 phase (or any lower voltage).
  4. It is worth noting that 50Hz and 60 Hz ratings will not be the same, even when a device is rated for both frequencies.
  5. Some MCB ranges can be fitted with a shunt trip coil, which allows them to be tripped by a separate device e.g. over or under-voltage to extend their use. In that case, the rated voltage of the shunt coil must match its power supply.
  6. You refer to a Mitsubishi breaker rating of 3kA or 10 kA. In this case, I think it would mean that two(three) poles could open two(three) phases of a 380/220V supply with a 3 kA short circuit, increased to 10 kA when used to switch live + neutral of a single phase 220V supply simultaneously.
  7. It is usual practice to write phase to phase voltage before the phase to earth voltage e.g. 400/230V. I do not know why Mitsubishi gave it as 220/380.

My first encounter with this kind of problem was as a schoolboy, wishing to make a 1 valve (tube) radio set. Being determined not to damage a valve, which cost a month's pocket money, by incorrect use; I walked to every electrical shop I could find looking for a "1.4 volt" battery (which was the standard and correct description of "filament voltage" for the valve, in the plans I had!). I was getting tired and dismayed with the difficulty, after several shops and miles, when a knowledgeable man explained that 1.4 volts was the average working value and an ordinary "1.5 volt" torch battery was a correct voltage supply! After that I learned that "finding out how things really did what they were made to do" helped to understand what a rating meant.

67model

Register to Reply
Power-User
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi

Good Answers: 24

02/20/2011 1:12 PM

It's not that difficult to find out the answer to your question, and like some of the other responders I too wonder at the level of competence that lead to it being asked on a forum such as this one.

What on earth is so difficult about consulting the manufacturer's data sheet?

The breaker that you are proposing to use will presumably be from GE's G100-series of Redline breakers.

A quick Google for 'GE Redline Catalogue' leads you straight to http://www.gepowercontrols.com/ex/resources/literature_library/catalogs/residential.html

Download the catalogue, or if internet bandwidth is tight, just the MCB section.

There, on pages A4 and A5, is a table that gives you all of the data that you will need to decide if the circuit breaker in question is up to the job.

The G100-series is good for 415V, meaning that it is rated for use in a phase-to-phase circuit off a 3-phase 240V/415V supply.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); kvsridhar (1); mohamedhajah (3); Paulusgnome (1); PWSlack (2); redfred (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Auto Transformer Starter Panel   Next in Forum: Neutral Grounding Resistor And Anti-Islanding Methods
You might be interested in: Building Insulation Materials, Insulation Fabrication Services, Thermal Insulation and Fireproofing Materials