CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Voltage Grade: Instrumentaion Cable   Next in Forum: Vibration Radial and Axial
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

10 comments
Associate

Allen Bradley 1336 II, Standard connection

02/26/2011 12:38 AM

Hello You all.

I'm trying to use the drive in the "standard mode" i.e. using a pot as show in section 2 of the user manual but it seem that i do not have enough information/ knowledge to get running. The unit come from an disable piece of equipment who was giving the speed reference to the drive via an external supply. 0 to 10 volts between TB2-4(-) TB2-6(+). I can use it like that but i would prefer to avoid to install another power supply. I want to use the drive on our brand new geared press drill you see...

I wish some body can light me up.

Many thanks

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 364

Re: Allen Bradley 1336 II, Standard connection

02/26/2011 4:19 AM

Please give a publication number (e.g. 1336F-TD001E-EN-P) and page number(s).

Could be that all you need to do is connect ends of pot between TB2-1 (+5V pot ref) and TB2-5 (signal common), with wiper to TB2-2 (input 0) or TB2-3 (input 1), but these terminal numbers don't agree with your connections for 0-10V input. Must assume I'm looking at the wrong document.

In reply to #1

02/26/2011 4:10 PM

Hello You.

Thanks for your help. The publication # i'm using is 1336 PLUS-5.3 - September 1998 P/N 184898 (02). Ref from page 2-32 of installation/wiring section.

You are absolutly right saying that the connection I am using is "wrong" but i had to use the wire diagramm from the Steam generator, where the drive come from, to get a motor to run and " practice a little " before connecting our brand new... To make a long story short, The drill been order from Germany as a generic version , by mistake and/or careless by the purchasing guy, the required supply voltage is 400 Vac 3 ph. (Oh sh...) with no return possible (OoK!). The drive came with an optional digital I/O board(tagged: 1336 - L4 5 VDC only (less encoder).

In the set up menu, Input mode is set at "2 wire" and Freq Select1 set at " Analog In 2". All others parameter seem to be pretty straight forward i think. One last thing, when i apply power to the unit without the optional board, it displays NOT ENABLED

I hope this will help you out.

Is it possible that the OEM product has a special didecated software version?

Thank you for your time.

Pierre

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

02/27/2011 12:05 AM

I'm at Allan Bradley

& I opened this document

1336 PLUS II User Manual - Firmware 1.xxx-6.xxx 1336F User Manual 1336 PLUS-5.3-SEP05

the start stop options are on 2-26

I'm assuming you have a working HIM[human interface module]

you could use the HIM to control the speed & a normal 2 button start/stop

The picture on 2-33 shows how to wire the pot, which will use the internal 5volt supply

then go to chapter 6

I would print out 6-2 & 6-3. The menus are confusing if you pay attention to the parameter numbers of the things you are looking for it will speed up the navigation

if you set up the min & max HZ realistically, the pot will be more useful than if you go 0-60.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #3

02/27/2011 5:14 PM

Hello Garthh!

Thanks for your reply, If i understand right, i have to use the digital I/O board any way, i tough it was optional, but that is fine, i have it and that is working.

I will try again the standard remote pot connection on analog input 0 (sweep on tb2-2, Jumper 8 'vertical right' ). I have on hand a 1 kohm pot, is that will overload the 5 volts power supply?

When you talk about realistical frequency. Let say min. 30hz and max. 70 hz or should a stay at 60 max to avoid inductance heat...

One last thing for now, our HMI has only the display panel as figure 3.1. No control panel option. I hope this is not changing any functionality feature, on my side i prefer to close the box and not let "them" tough it with there fat dirty fingers...

I hope i have time to play with that today.

Thanks again talk to you later.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #4

02/27/2011 8:04 PM

Page 2-33 mentions that if the option board is fitted, the +5V reference is not available and an external supply must be used (right-hand diagram on that page).

Seems bl**dy mad to me that with all that gubbins, they can't provide a reference voltage for a speed pot, but (while they make some dam' good stuff) AB make some diabolical goofs sometimes.

I'd say (without better authority to hand) it's time to cut your losses and add an external supply for the control input - just replicate what worked before. You can probably find a working configuration with what you have, but it may take longer than adopting the "known" (external supply) solution.

BTW - a 1k pot will be fine, whether the reference supply is internal or external.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #4

02/27/2011 9:13 PM

pg 2-34 tells you to put the jumpers back if you are removing the analog board

you are on the right track for the min max, you won't have any trouble running overspeed, unless you are loading the motor over it's capacity continuously

the one k pot will just make it tricky if you require precise speed control

these are nice little units, but the book & programing is unnecessarily complex.

it is better to avoid powering them on & off often, if you must use a contactor wire it in after.

see page 6-8 & set the accel time for a few seconds & decel for zero [for safety]

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator

In reply to #6

02/28/2011 6:26 AM

Super AC drive, but as said above, avoid switching it on and off. It puts unnecessary strain on components. Leave it on, and use the controls for starting and stopping. Switch it off only when necessary, like for machine maintenance.

Register to Reply
Associate

02/28/2011 4:26 PM

Hello YOU all.

Thank you very much to you all. My questions been answered and i gain some good advise from YOU.

It is my first experience in a forum/thread discussion and found that very usefull.

Then i will follow the advise, use an external control supply, the inputs on TB3 to control the machine and leave the drive swithed "on" all the time, hopefully for ever. Untill i retired anyway.

Thanks again

Pierre Beaudry

03/12/2011 6:37 PM

Hello you all, again.

Just to let you know than i finally finished the drill press project, all neetly installed in a SS enclosure. Looks good and even works better.

Great, thank's again.

In reply to #9

03/12/2011 7:24 PM

Thanks to you for reporting back. Many don't bother.

Glad it's sorted out.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dave Simpson (1); Garthh (2); JohnDG (3); TripppleP (4)

Previous in Forum: Voltage Grade: Instrumentaion Cable   Next in Forum: Vibration Radial and Axial

Advertisement