so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

20 comments
Participant

2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 - Turns Over but Won't Start

03/02/2011 7:06 PM

My 2000 Cavalier with a 2.2 cranks but wont start. I have gone through all of the fuses and relays and everything is fine. Not sure what else to look at.

Also, the battery dies because the dash lights stay on constantly. As soon as I get the battery charged the lights stay on. This car ran fine then one day driving home it died while getting off the freeway. Started right back up, drove it for another 5-10 minutes and it died as I was pulling into my driveway and hasn't started since.

The car did slide off the road last winter and two of the ECM wires where pinched and damaged but they have been replaced.

Any suggestions would be great thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

Re: 2000 cavalier 2.2 cranks but wont start

03/02/2011 8:03 PM

Sounds like you have more than one electrical gremlin to deal with. I would suggest eliminating each problem one at a time. Double, and tipple check the ECM wiring. Make sure you are getting spark at the plug. Make sure you are getting fuel to the engine, IE fuel filter clogged? My guess is either you don't have spark, or you don't have fuel. You will need to verify proper function, and pressure of both systems.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1006

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 - Turns Over but Won't Start

03/02/2011 8:54 PM

Use the "search this forum" box at the right of this screen. Just type in "Cavalier".

Good Answers: 148

03/02/2011 8:57 PM

If you do a search for "cavalier" on CR4 you will discover an awful lot of threads dealing with Chevy Cavalier and the problems that beset them...

Note to Mods; How about a separate section called Chevy Cavalier? You guys could list all the cavalier threads there, maybe even as a "sticky". Just a thought...

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17

03/03/2011 10:51 AM

Check the gas tank. check the gas gage, see if it matches the gas tank.

One time, long ago, I had a car that was parked on a hill with less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas. It wouldn't start either. Not till I got it on flat ground.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1006
In reply to #4

03/03/2011 5:48 PM

"Check the gas tank. check the gas gage, see if it matches the gas tank."

Please, all you folks at home, do not use matches to check the gas tank.

Good Answers: 5

03/03/2011 4:30 PM

Check the timing.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #5

03/04/2011 6:23 AM

Sorry my reply was so short I had to leave in a hurry yesterday.

As said further in the descussion I would check the ignition switch, it could be going bad or just bad. Another thing I would check for about the dash lights staying on would be the light switch.

I use to have a cavalier and sometimes when I got a jump the electrical system would act up doing crazy stuff untill I would unhook the battery cables and reconnect them, then it would act fine again. Just a thought of something else you might want to check out.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 213

03/03/2011 5:24 PM

Your comments "I have gone through all of the fuses and relays and everything is fine." and "Also, the battery dies because the dash lights stay on constantly." are mutually exclusive. One statement or the other might be true, but both are not true.

As with most of the Cavalier questions we get at CR4, there seems to be more than one problem at work here.

Does a Cavalier have a trouble code report? Nobody ever speaks of it, so I guess not. That would, of course, be way too obvious.

Good Answers: 8

03/03/2011 10:37 PM

You might check the ignition switch under the dash,on the steering column. If the dash light's are staying on sounds like the switch is out of adjustment or gone bad and need's replaced. This is a problem on a lot of earlier GM cars and trucks and a few Chrysler's that used Saginaw steering column's. The switch's tend to loosen up and slide out of adjustment and do just as you describe.and some time's the switch come's apart on the column and lose contact or make's contact when you don't want it to. also is this a tilt column some time's the tilt mechanism (aka) the rack assembly will break and do the same thing

03/03/2011 10:41 PM

If you live in a region where crazy ants are a problem You might have an electrical short. I have a 99 cavalier With a similar problem that was parked for a period of Time where there is a problem with crazy ants. Lyndon Lozano

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: OZ, otherwise known as Oklahoma were the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
Good Answers: 4
In reply to #9

03/04/2011 8:32 AM

I used to have a crazy aunt, I never had a problem starting my car, but then I drive Fords.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 7)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #14

03/06/2011 11:19 AM

"I used to have a crazy aunt, I never had a problem starting my car, but then I drive Fords." This might start the car S A, waste of good space land and line.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #9

03/06/2011 1:31 AM

Welcome to the insanity.

03/03/2011 11:04 PM

The first thing to check is the fuel pressure. Next what lights: all lights, illumination lights, or just normal lights like key on engine not running.

Register to Reply
Commentator

03/04/2011 7:18 AM

Pull a plug wire install a good spark plug. Put the plug wire on a good plug hold the plug to the block with insulated pliers. Have someone crank the car and check for spark. If you have spark check for a fuel problem.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

03/04/2011 7:18 AM

If you have enough fuel in the tank:

As already suggested by other members, start with checking for spark ( remove one sp plug wire from plug, hold close to engine--very close but not touching. Let some one crank engine.) If you see a spark at the wire, you have spark and your ignition system is OK. Your timing may be Off but usually it does not happen with electronic ignition. If the timing chain was broken, you will not have spark.

Next check if your injectors are firing (remove the pigtail from one injector and connect a 'noid light' you could buy from auto zone for less than 10 dollars. Crank engine, if you see the noid light glowing, your computer(ECM) is OK. Next check for fuel delivery to the injectors. Normally there is a port where you attach a pressure Gage. Fuel can be checked there and preferably fuel pressure. If you have fuel then let us know because serious diagnostic will start. I will suggest subscription to ALLDATA manual for your car on line---it used to be 15 dollars per car for a year. It will give you step by step procedure. Good luck. Let us know what happened.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 102

03/04/2011 9:57 AM

Don't forget to check the fuel relay. Cheap and easy to replace, and MANY times the culprit when car won't start. The lights on all the time sounds like a malfunctioning light switch. Suggestions: Keep the car ON the road.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 70

03/04/2011 8:40 PM

I might suggest to the site moderators that they create a special section within Automotive just for the Cavalier.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111

03/06/2011 1:41 AM

When did the "lights on the dash" start? Was it at the same time as the "no start" issue?. The post about the ignition switch being out of alignment might be the one to start with. The switch being out of alignment could be causing both problems. Do you have a repair manual for the car? (I could make a fortune selling Cavalier manuals here.) If not, and of the GM cars with steering column locks should be the same ignition switch adjustment procedure. Try that first. Let us know. Good luck.

Good Answers: 18

03/06/2011 4:50 PM

Crank, ignition and dash lights are all controlled through or by the ignition switch.

It is a common point and would be a good place to start.

Bill

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 20 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (2); Brave Sir Robin (1); Dhcarman (1); Doorman (1); Grand Poobah (1); kajibaba (1); Labyguy (1); LOCKDUKE (1); lyn (2); Lyndon Lozano (1); mrclean (2); rhandwor (1); RVZ717 (1); Tobugrynbak (1); WAWAUS (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Oil Restrictor   Next in Forum: Shorted KV
You might be interested in: Tower Lights, Stack Lights and Machine Lights, Pilot Lights and Indicator Lights, Battery Holders