Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Max Load Possible for Slab?   Next in Forum: Fire Department Connection
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Check Valve & Gate Valve for Sewer Sanitary Service

03/08/2011 2:01 AM

Hello, I would just like to inquire, could you recommend types of gate valve and check valve for Sewer Sanitary service.

We are into constructing Sewage Tank Pump. As a part of its control system, a gate valve and check is needed for its operation. Could you advice, a brand or type of valves appropriate for the service.

I was surfing the internet and found none. Would ductile or cast iron valves do the job?

I am hoping you could help me.

Thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Philippines - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 4

Re: CHECK VALVE & GATE VALVE FOR SEWER SANITARY SERVICE

03/08/2011 2:53 AM

Capt. Moosie is expert on this, but i guess valves used in slurry service are applicable to this but, to think, it will be more expensive and uneconomical.

Sewage waste produces corrosive gases like Hydrogen Sulfide. Cast Iron body valves has a good corrosion property, perhaps they will be good in comparison to ductile body valves.

I don't know, I had no experience on such field and still doubtful to say that.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 598
In reply to #1

03/08/2011 4:25 AM

Pressures are low, and cast iron sewage piping has long been used, so it or plastics (ABS, HDPE) are suitable. Valves must be full-opening and free-flowing. Gate valves would work (or maybe full-port ball valves??) Globe and butterfly valves are crap, in more than one sense; a few Maxi-Pads will turn them into closed valves. It also depends on what is available in the pipe size involved.

Location: C5A 3rd Floor,Ajial Mall PO Box 46069, Code 64011 Fahaheel,State of Kuwait

03/08/2011 5:31 AM

I think it is most suited to used Gate Valve 1/2" to 1 1/2" - Super Austennitic UNS 31254 or UNS N08926, BB, OS&Y, Solid Wedge, Hand Whl Oper. API 602 & 598 NACE MR 01-75 2" to 24" - Ductile Iron ASTM A395, Double disc, epoxy lined (AWWA C550) Body, BB, ASTM B61/B62 Bronze Trim, Handwheel Operated. <24" - Gear Operated> 4" to 24" - Ductile Iron ASTM A395, Swing Type, epoxy lined (AWWA C550) Body, BC, ASTM B61/B62 Bronze Trim. I'm not really 100% sure but we have used this material to Firewater service Line/Wash Water/Utility water. I case you can still wait i will still try to research our previous projects. Hope this will find helpful for you

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 140

Re: Check Valve & Gate Valve for Sewer Sanitary Service

03/08/2011 10:16 AM

Hello Anonymous,

Before I could even think of answering your questions I would need to know more about the pumping system, the pumped waste stream, and the basic constructs that you're erecting.

First off, since you're constructing a wastewater pumping station I have to assume that there is a Design Engineer (Engineer of Record) involved with this project, unless you're employed as a municipal department sewer worker. In any case, whoever designed the pumping system also specified the type of pump(s), piping, controls and valves. Correct? My first step would be to contact the Engineer and ask for any and all clarifications regarding the valves...issue to them a RFI! Also, if you're a General Contractor or a sub-contractor, aren't you required to submit SHOP DRAWING submittals to the EOR for review and comment before installing a single piece of equipment and/or material?????

As my old man used to say "When all else fails read the directions". In this case, read the technical specifications incorporated inside the "PROJECT MANUAL" as well as take a hard look at the Construction Drawings, which are part of the Project Manual. There must have been some standard specified regarding the valves for use in a wastewater environment. If not, then the EOR didn't do his or her job properly from the get-go!!!!

I do believe that fellow THE ELITE hit the nail on the head with his suggestions....an epoxy-lined resilient wedge gate valve or plug valve may be the best for this application, but we need to know the pipe size and type of material (and valve size too), maximum and minimum pumping flow rates, maximum Working Head that the Force Main system is expected to see during it's design lifetime, etc etc etc. Not as simple as just bitch-slapping a valve into the discharge line and hope that it works during the lifetime of the pumping system. Also, keep in mind future maintenance requirements should this valve and others need to be pulled from service and worked on by the sewer department. It should be easy to remove and replace...use bolted flanges!

Clow Corporation makes some of the world's best water and wastewater valves. You may want to discuss your project with one of their Tech Reps before proceeding any further with your construction project....

www.clowvalve.com

You may also want to check out Water & Wastewater Digest for other manufacturers of valves acceptable for installation in a wastewater facility.

You can also visit the US Army Corp of Engineer's (USACE) website and go to their publications section.....look for the Engineering Manual (EM series) dealing with wastewater pumping facilities. These are free for downloading. Since the EM's are hooked together part and parcel with the USACE "Guidance Specifications" you will be to walked-through (or guided through) the selection process of choosing an appropriate wastewater valve.

Good luck!

==Signed,

CaptMoosie, LPE / PhD

Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineer

Location: C5A 3rd Floor,Ajial Mall PO Box 46069, Code 64011 Fahaheel,State of Kuwait
In reply to #4

03/08/2011 10:32 AM

Sir, I think i need some free seminar from you, well i do really need like those opinion and it is really educational and added to my knowlegde, anyway in case maybe I'm interested of knowing you more especially i think your a quite experience person for our company, hope we can met your demand or price. hehehehe, anyway I will kepp monitoring you and in case you like to introduced some more ideas you can direct contact my mail. jefflasola@gmail.com Thanks,

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #4

03/09/2011 3:14 PM

Seems like it would be good to know something about the quality of the waste stream also. Force mains can create an unusual reductive condition depending on the time in the force main, and thus a particularly corrosive environment at discharge. If the environment is has a particularly high risk or the structure is critical, then it may be preferable to use stainless steel especially for things like stems, bolts and frames. However, I have seen stainless steel gates, even, used in relatively clean surface water where performance was critical and O&M minimal. Also, sand in the waste stream can be abrasive to some components bottoms of frames, and cause issues in some guides and seals.

The large gate manufacturers, Clow, Waterman, etc. all manufacturer gates for applications in wastewater facilities. They would have good people to discuss such applications with. However, In my opinion he should probably consult a professional engineer experienced in the field, local conditions and regulations. I would hate to see him do something that turns into a huge environmental issue that he gets fined for and then has to pay for remediation because of some failure ( i do realize with attentive and proper O&M a major illegal discharge is unlikely). I once dealt with a WWTP that decided to dispose of their grit in a landscaping area around perimeter of facility, which seemed like a minor deicision to them, turned into a huge fine, cost for studies and a clean up.

Guru

Good Answers: 12

03/09/2011 12:15 AM

There are many manufacturers of Valves. Which part of the world you are executing this project. There must me many local brands as per the local standards.

Power-User
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - Member United States - Member - Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - Member

Good Answers: 7

03/09/2011 8:14 AM

The type of valve is dependent on the size of the pipe, the sewage characteristics, and the pressure. As stated in previous posts, the resilient wedge gate valve is an exceptional product. I have used it on slurry, water, and sewage over the years, and with routine operation and maintenance, have had little or no problems. See part of one of my specs below.

"...resilient seated wedge gate valves in conformance with the requirements of AWWA C509, (grey or ductile iron body) or AWWA C515, (reduced wall ductile iron body). All coatings materials used in the construction of gate valves for potable water applications must comply with NSF 61 to assure lead free construction. All gate valves shall be designed for a working pressure of 250-psi with a minimum ULFM rating of 200-psi. Gate valves shall be fusion bonded epoxy, (FBE) coated both interior and exterior at a minimum of 10mils and the FBE coating shall be provided in conformance with AWWA C550.

All gate valves shall be constructed with triple o-ring seals in which 2 o-rings are located above the thrust collar and 1 o-ring is located below the thrust collar. The two upper o-rings shall be replaceable with the valve fully open and subjected to full rated working pressure. All gate valves shall be assembled with stainless steel bolts.

The gate valve wedge shall be fully encapsulated in molder rubber. All valves shall be rated for bi-directional flow. All sealing gaskets shall be made of EPDM rubber materials."

This is not a complete spec, but should get you in the ball park for a sewage gate valve. I will look and see is I can find a spec for a sewage check valve. However, remember, size matters in valves. If you are dealing with pipe smaller than 12" this should be OK. If the pipe you are working with is greater than 12" let me know, because the specs will change for the larger valves.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (1); mrswamy (1); Noudge79 (1); Old Coal Man (1); RCE (1); THE ELITE (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Max Load Possible for Slab?   Next in Forum: Fire Department Connection
You might be interested in: Valve Actuators, Electrohydraulic Valve Actuators and Hydraulic Valve Actuators, Gate Valves