Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Didn't Get Information on Hobson Drive for Dead Axiel Trucks   Next in Forum: 671 Detroit Relocating the Oil Filter
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Participant

2000 Chevy Cavalier z24 Will Not Start

03/18/2011 4:34 PM

So here is the deal. I have a 2000 Z24 chevy cavalier with the 2.4 in it. I went to my friend's house last night and it drove fine all the way there. Turned the car off and locked it. When I went to start my car to leave, it wouldn't start. It will turn over but it will not start at all. I can hear the fuel pump working and I put some fuel in the throttle body and that still didn't get it to start. So I checked the spark plugs and the coils, looks like a spark is going through. Just to be on the safe side, I did end up replacing the spark plugs and boots and still not starting. Then I hooked the battery up to my friend's van and tried to charge it and still nothing. I then hooked up a computer to see if it could give me some error codes and got nothing that would cause my car to not start. I am so stuck and confused right now. I have a mechanic friend who is just as confused as I am. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? The car does have 194,000 miles on it but never gave me any problems until now. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: 2000 chevy cavalier z24 will not start! please help!

03/18/2011 9:09 PM

Check the timing. Could have either jumped time when you shut it off, or the chain/belt broke when it back-lashed.

Another idea - do you happen to have a security feature that requires a certain type of chip on the Key? See if that is still effective, or the receiver is maybe kaput. For instance, a '97 Mustang has that feature - I had a copy made of the key in case I locked it inside. The copy, without the chip, will open the door and trunk locks, but will not allow me to start the car (no chip) - it just spins forever, much like you describe.

Ken

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2

03/18/2011 11:18 PM

If you have fuel, fire, and air, at the right time, it has to run. Unless of course you have too much fuel, as in flooded. Also, you didn't sound real confident about having spark.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

03/19/2011 1:04 AM

I had a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon that would crank but not start. I too went the route of fuel all the way to to a new pump. with no luck. I found a really good link to a mechanic that suggested that if there is no spark the CPS or Crank shaft Position Sensor might be my problem. They make a 10 dollar spark checker you just put on the end of a spark plug wire to check for spark. There was no spark. So I went after the CPS, I found it and took it off and noticed it was 1. Dirty with oil buildup because 2. It was cracked on one side. So I just cleaned it and re seated it and bang the car started. I rushed down to the auto parts store and got a new one and haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: 2000 Chevy Cavalier z24 Will Not Start

03/19/2011 3:15 AM

I had the same problem in a Mercedes, and did quite a bit of research. The crankshaft position sensor was what most people thought. I wondered if it was a problem in the car alarm, so the dealer disconnected it but no joy. It turned out to be a defective relay. Hope this info helps.

Register to Reply

03/19/2011 9:10 AM

A couple more things to check. Is the spark a bright pink or is it thin and blue. Also, did you check both coils. That vehicle also has and ignition module that controls the coils. Another thing to check would be the Crank and Camshaft sensors which one or both may have gone bad.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 6

03/19/2011 10:51 AM

Hello.The diagnostics you describe are vague in saying that it looks like a spark is getting through.For diagnostics to have meaning there is a need for precision.Looks like does not work.You must verify that you have spark.On a 2.4 quad DOHC this can be difficult due to the lack of plug wires but still possible.Remove the top cover with the Ignition Module and coils and boots.Unplug the ignition Module. Remove the spark plugs and check cylinders for compression using a compression gauge.Compression should be in the range of 120 psi.(give or take 10% for wear) per cylinder when cranked through 8 revolutions.If not, diagnostics ( removal of front engine covers) is required to check timing chain and tensioners. If compression is OK timing of the crankshaft and valve train is OK.Borrow 4 spark plug wires and install between coils and spark plugs.Ground the spark plugs bottom electrodes using alligator clips to known good grounds away from any fuel source.Plug in the ignition module and have an assistant crank the engine while you watch the spark plugs for spark.No spark means diagnostics for the primary and secondary spark systems.Good luck.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

03/19/2011 4:28 PM

Hay Grandpaw couldn't he pull #1 spark plug and turn engine until he sees the Top Dead Center mark on the crank pulley show up on the timing mark. Or do they still provide that capability. I'm a little rusty on the newer engines.

Register to Reply

03/19/2011 4:37 PM

Never mind Grandpaw I answered my own question. If the timing chain jumped a tooth or two you would still get top dead center because the timing mark is tied to the piston not the cam. Daa!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); autotechnocracy (1); CriscoKid (1); grandpaw (1); James Williams (3); Kenholl (1)

Previous in Forum: Didn't Get Information on Hobson Drive for Dead Axiel Trucks   Next in Forum: 671 Detroit Relocating the Oil Filter
You might be interested in: Power Plugs, Plugs, Stoppers and Inserts, Bus Plugs