Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Calculate Weight of I BEAM?   Next in Forum: Allowable Nozzle Load
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

5 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

How to Calculate Weight for Checker Plate?

03/25/2011 1:36 AM

hi.

how to calculate weight of checker plate for 6 mm b 7000mm and L 5500mm

thanks in advance

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 566

Re: How to calculate weight for Checker Plate?

03/25/2011 1:50 AM

If steel, 7950 kg/m3; if aluminum, about 2650 kg/m3 (I forget the exact number).

03/25/2011 2:51 AM

Metals are weighed based on a specific gravity, which will vary based on the alloy. When you get into the Stainless grades, this will vary by grade due to the specific gravity of all the elements. Nickel, usually the heaviest component in Stainless Steel (if available), and chromium, will be the driving factor in both weight and cost.

There are published charts giving weights of different sizes and alloys. Checker plate, AKA Floor plate, etc, will have a separate chart than smooth plate due to the bumps found on one side.

Tornado has given a formula which will let you calculate the weight of smooth plate. The chart for floor plate will be a little more. I know of no formula for calculating weight of floor plate. Floor plate will vary in weight by the producing mills due to differing pattern of "checkers".

Ken

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 566
In reply to #2

03/25/2011 3:45 AM

That's possible, but I had the impression that checkered plate would be made by rolling flat plate in such a way that the unraised parts were slightly thinned but equal to how much the checkers were raised. I'm not sure of that, however.

(Edit: I was able to check further. My earlier impression was not right; there is indeed some extra weight for checker plate. Thus is best to check manufacturers' data rather than try to calculate; especially since different patterns are sometimes used.)

Good Answers: 14

03/25/2011 7:23 AM

Quite often the supplier catalog will give the weight per sq foot. Have you checked your supplier web site?

This site does.

click on stocklist

Good Answers: 20

Re: How to Calculate Weight for Checker Plate?

03/30/2011 12:53 AM

For rough estimate it is considerable to calculate the weight of plane plate of the material you are looking for plus 5 to 10%. For plane structural carbon steel plate approximate 6 kg. weight is added per square meter of the plate wt. for raised impressions. But the exact weight for checked plate has to taken from the chart of individual manufacturer because of different type of raised impressions.

Reply to Forum Thread 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ddk (1); Kenholl (1); Mukesh0861 (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: How to Calculate Weight of I BEAM?   Next in Forum: Allowable Nozzle Load
You might be interested in: Plate Forming Services, Glass Sheets and Plate Glass, Metal Plates and Plate Stock