Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ball Screw   Next in Forum: How Much Gas is Required to Manufacture a Ton of Sponge Iron?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Commentator

How Much of Gas is Required to Produce PMT of DRI

04/17/2011 3:25 AM

Constituents

Coal Bed Methane [Mole %]

Methane 96-98

Ethane <1

Propane <1

Sulphur (mg/m3) -

Nitrogen 0-2

Carbon Dioxide 0-2

Gross Heating Value (MJ/m3) 35.7

Flame Temperature (oC) 1790

Natural Gas [Mole %]

Methane 95.2

Ethane 2.5

Propane 0.2

Sulphur (mg/m3) 0.6-1.0

Nitrogen 1.3

Carbon Dioxide 0.7

Gross Heating Value (MJ/m3) 38

Flame Temperature (oC) 1960

given above are the data for the gases ,would request you to please let me know the amount(in tone) of them would be required to reduce iron ore of fe grade 62,64,65 to produce a tonne of dri.

Do let me know if we use coal to produce synthesis gas then how much of coal would be required to meet the required gas for per tonne of dri.

please let us know the process also.

It will be good if Indian scenario is taken for calculations.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: gas
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 564

Re: how much of gas is required to produce pmt of dri

04/17/2011 3:50 AM

Bad Acronym Alert--"pmt", "dri"?

Good Answers: 139
In reply to #1

04/17/2011 7:30 AM

Well PMT is easy - like every bloke with a female in his life knows that one.

And 'gas' and DRI is either

A. Death Row Inmate

or

B. Dirty Rotten Imbeciles (band)

"Bad Acronym" really?

U just picky U are!

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #1

04/17/2011 8:01 AM

I'm not the OP, but I'm fairly certain "dri" is direct reduced iron, and "pmt" is per metric ton.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

04/17/2011 10:56 AM

Spoil sport - 'rule #1' is define acronyms at first use - or a great deal of time is wasted on 'ass-u-me'.

In reply to #4

04/17/2011 12:07 PM

Sorry, I guess I'm too impatient (in some ways). (And sympathetic to people who's first language doesn't appear to be English, or just don't know how to ask questions.)

Thinking out loud, it might be nice for CR4 to have a very visible link titled something like: "Advice if you're a first time poster here."

(Maybe they have one, either I forgot, or it is not visible enough. ;-)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #5

04/18/2011 3:21 AM

I'm usually quite sympathetic to ESL posters. Don't even mind the text crowd. But it wears a little thin when acronyms are used for key terms and/or a specific field, or application is unclear.

As it is it can take 30 posts to find out what they really need solved - this needlessly prolongs that 'time drain'.

Also it seems to me, many times they may not know what the acronym actually means, as if they did type it out in full - into google - they'd find the information in less time that writing the post.

True, and Admin could add a "first time poster advice" link, in this window, to a paragraph on the "rules" page. There's space. Could be two birds with one link.

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #6

04/18/2011 4:40 PM

All very appropriate, but OP shows 46 posts to his avatar, so certainly not a first timer. But I like your "baa", very sheepish ("bad acronym alert")....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #5

04/18/2011 11:51 AM

"... have a very visible link titled something like: "Advice if you're a first time poster here."

Just below the name of the user is (Number of) "Posts:". If it says 1, this is almost certainly the first post from the user.

There are a number of CR4 members, 2-3 years, with several hundred posts who are ESL users, and they still have a tough time asking a cogent question (this due to the language barrier). These users, as well as the new members, get harassed because of incorrect or poor sentence structure. Sad, this.

In reply to #7

04/18/2011 12:43 PM

Re: There are a number of CR4 members, 2-3 years, with several hundred posts who are ESL users, and they still have a tough time asking a cogent question (this due to the language barrier).

I guess that note could go on to say something like: "Feel free to review these notes (for first time users) often, especially if you are not a native English speaker.

Re: These users, as well as the new members, get harassed because of incorrect or poor sentence structure. Sad, this.

Yes.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #8

04/18/2011 1:49 PM

Well, I guess we could...

Like 34.5, I do not worry too much about an ESL poster and their sentence construction. English is a difficult language. Were this a Spanish or German language forum, I might post once in a while. Any language other than these three, and I would not have a chance.

As long as I can get the gist of the question, I just go with it.

Anonymous Poster #1

Re: How Much of Gas is Required to Produce PMT of DRI

05/11/2011 6:54 AM

It is sometimes shows quite a interesting perspective of the members.

- One who knows

- The others well...

"amount(in tone) of them would be required to reduce iron ore of fe grade 62,64,65 to produce a tonne of dri"

Anyone in the field of iron ore processing would have guessed DRI (also called sponge Iron) PMT was not so easy, but only one sympathetic member had pointed it to be per metric tonne, and that will be corroborated by the gist of the post.

Of course we would then ask what is Fe or what is the meaning of Fe Grade?

We do need some introspective. The members come here to help and get helped. I am sure the member in question (OP) too had been helpful to others in his field.

If we continue in this vein, there will not be too many technical queries and we may start asking the expansion of ASME, which of course the PED users may in future be unaware. (Since one is not going to ask for the ASME, I am not giving the expansion of PED).

There are threads for this type of discussions (BBT- expansion withheld- comes immediately to mind)

Do we know the process of reduction of ore into sponge iron and the requirements? (I dont). If not, the thread is not for us. Let it be addressed by some-one who knows.

But we don't only do that, we call the OP back from the other thread and ask him to meander through this aimless one.

Why ?

Of course OP should have been a bit specific (and may be posted it in the metallurgy section) most of the expert will first visit there. Also the advise there had been appropriate (send a personal mail to the person and then you can get the deleted website/ email address)

On second thought the moderator could have of course advised the OP while deleting the address.

have I ruffled feathers ? Of course yes.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (3); Anonymous Poster (1); Doorman (2); rhkramer (3); Tornado (1); YesMAM (1)

Previous in Forum: Ball Screw   Next in Forum: How Much Gas is Required to Manufacture a Ton of Sponge Iron?
You might be interested in: Gas Compressors and Gas Compressor Systems, Gas Instruments, Gas Sensors