Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Medical Device ISO Standard 13485:2003   Next in Forum: Lead Pressure Weight
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Participant

What is the current price of 6061 T6 Aluminum?

04/10/2007 10:55 AM

I need to know the current per pound price of 6061 T6 Aluminum for a cost chart I am working on. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Sawyer

Sawyer Industrial Plastics, Inc.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
United States - Member - Germany - Member - Spain - Member - Trabajo en Pamplona

Re: What is the current price of 6061 T6 Aluminum?

04/10/2007 10:02 PM

Price depends heavily on the size and volume your looking to purchase.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #1

10/22/2008 4:26 AM

AS A result of the Global Monetary/Bank crisis:

Today LME aluminium is ~~@2000/tonne

So you should get your bar @ $1/lb.

mm

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

04/10/2007 11:57 PM

Check the phone book for metal suppliers to get a current quote.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #2

04/11/2007 9:45 AM

As pointed out earlier, the price depends upon the form (plate, sheet, rolled, extruded, drawn, etc.) and anticipated volume. Regardless of form, you can begin to get some idea by looking up the price of aluminum in the commodities listings in the business section of most large newspapers. Today, that happens to be $1.27 per lb in the U.S. The price of the alloy in various forms can be obtained from industry publications. Google metal prices and you will find www.metalprices.com which includes primary metal prices as well as an alloy builder to obtain the current and future price of standard alloys.

Given the alloy price, add the cost of forming and heat-treating to estimate the final cost.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

10/22/2008 4:10 AM

You may buy metals on ebay.com I see that corrently 6061-T6 Aluminum Flat Bar 1" x 6" x 24" trades for 43.82 USD.

---------------------

Heat treating and Vacuum Carburizing

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14

04/11/2007 1:13 AM

AROUND $2.00 /lb for BARS DIA 1" UP

Register to Reply
Participant

04/11/2007 10:19 AM

thanks everyone. I understand the cost / volumn reltionship. I buy thermoset resin by the truck load. I am attempting to produce an alternative material to aluminum for a specific application and did not know where to start looking. And since I don't buy metals I don't have any contacts. Again, thanks for your help. Kindest regards.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #5

04/18/2011 11:43 AM

Bill, I see from your posts that you are a resin product manufacturer and needed information on aluminum pricing in order to estimate the cost of an existing aluminum product in order to compare or set pricing for your substitute plastic product. This being the case, will you share your cost estimation findings with me as I too am new to aluminum manufacturing?

For example, I need to know reliable web sources for Aluminum (particularly Aluminum Alloy 6061-T6) raw material costs, and estimated forging and heat treatment costs (possibly as a percent of raw material cost). If you happen to have this or anything close to this and are willing to share your findings I would greatly appreciate it.

David Myers

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bill Sawyer (1); Bluestone (1); David_Myers (1); hilltopper (1); MUKULMAHANT (2); stilljester (1)

Previous in Forum: Medical Device ISO Standard 13485:2003   Next in Forum: Lead Pressure Weight
You might be interested in: Chart Recording Paper and Consumables, Chart Recorders and Strip Charts, Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys