Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: List of Japanese Standard for Dimension Metrology   Next in Forum: Supporting Large Steel Pipes
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

9 comments
Participant

Cummins QSX15 Oil in Water and Excess Coolant Pressure any Help?

05/10/2011 8:29 AM

I have a cummins qsx15 in a farm tractor and I am getting oil in the water and excess coolant pressure in my radiator. I have replaced the oil coolers (cores), which I have to do every 2500hrs, and I still have the problem. I had the head off 2500 hrs ago and I don't think we used new head bolts when we put it back on.

I just put in liquid glass this morning, and I will try that.

The quote I got from the cummins mechanic is $5,000.00 to repair head gasket. $1,000 for parts $3,600 labor and road time, and $400 taxes.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 357

Re: Cummins QSX15 Oil in Water and Excess Coolant Pressure any Help?

05/10/2011 9:04 AM

Sounds like the head gasket to me.

Any noticeable loss of power?

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1069
In reply to #1

05/10/2011 9:16 AM

Or crack in head, or crack in block. None are good to have.

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

05/10/2011 10:31 AM

Wouldn't there be water in the oil if it was a cracked head or bad head gasket?

I wonder is there is an engine oil or hydraulic oil inter-cooler in the radiator or an oil cooler water jacket core attached to a radiator/coolant plumbing somewhere that has ruptured internally. The elevated coolant pressure is suspect to me.

Just asking

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

05/10/2011 10:37 AM

Depends on the pressure differential. Depends on where the crack is.

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #4

05/10/2011 10:59 AM

I agree it would depend on some variables.

Maybe pocketchange can tell us if there is water in the engine or hydraulic oil, I'm still curious.

Hopefully either way he will let us know what he finds out.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 43

05/10/2011 11:20 AM

It is more common to get water in the oil rather than oil in the water. It's more a question of viscosity than pressure. The viscosity of the coolant could be as low as 0.3-0.4cps at operating temperature, whereas the oil is still likely to be well over 1.0cps. This makes a big difference to the amount of pressure required to force the fluid through a small crack

You could get oil into the water at start-up, when the oil is pressurized but the coolant is not. But then you would also get water into the oil at shutdown, when the coolant is still pressurized (and very low viscosity) but the oil is not.

If you are only getting oil in the water, and not vice-versa, then something unusual could be happening, and it might not be a blown gasket or cracked head

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 19

Re: Cummings QSX15 Oil in Water and Excess Coolant Pressure any Help?

05/11/2011 7:48 AM

There are lots of ways to pin point the issue at hand. But, in reading your question I would 1st say, when ever you are working on engines of any make or style and have to remove a head, intake or other major component, new bolts are mandatory. You don't say why you had to removed the head 2.5K hours ago, nor do you state when the oil and water issue began. I assume it is correlates to the head removal. If so I would cough up the money and have a Cummings repair person make the needed diagnose and repair. You will be money ahead.

Register to Reply
Participant

05/11/2011 9:16 AM

Well I went ahead and pulled the motor out of the tractor yesterday and took it over to Cummins Southern Plains in Houston, they should start on it today. I'll keep ya'll posted on the damages. The mechanic told me yesterday that they have new updated liners they can use. He said this motor is bad about blowing head gaskets at the fireing ring and the new liners have a different head gasket.

The reason I pulled the head off 2,500hrs ago is because I spun a rod bearing at 5,000hrs. I could not believe it. I change oil every 250hrs and use shell rotella 15w40. I was not operating the tractor when it happend, so I pulled the motor, got a new crank, new rings and 1 rod, liners all looked good, so put everthing back together and installed back into tractor, fired it up, and low oil pressure (15psi idle-25psi high idle). Ok, so then I had to pull the oil pump and dicoverd the pressure spring in the pump was bad, by the way, you can't buy just the spring. they tell you in the service manual how to test it, but if it's bad you have to buy the whole $2,000 pump.

Thanks for all the positve comments and remarks, I'll let ya'll know what happens from here.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/11/2011 9:19 AM

Good luck. If it's the head gasket, that'll be the cheapest to fix. Of course, cheap is a relative term.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

fixitorelse (1); Holzfeller (1); JohnDG (1); KJK/USA (2); lyn (3); pocketchange (1)

Previous in Forum: List of Japanese Standard for Dimension Metrology   Next in Forum: Supporting Large Steel Pipes
You might be interested in: Machining Oil, Cutting Fluid and Coolant Filters, Coolant Systems, Coolant Recycling Systems