Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Auto AC Compressor Clutch Failure   Next in Forum: 2002 Dodge Caravan, AC Issue,Moisture On The Ground and Passenger Side Under Glo
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Associate

1998 Lincoln Town Car Rear Air Ride Suspension

05/13/2011 4:47 PM

I own a 1998 Lincoln Town Car which just yesterday, appeared to lose all of the air in it's rear suspension (rear fender wells extremely low on tires). Upon investigating this morning, I discovered the 30 Amp relay fuse was blown. Replaced the relay, turned on the system switch in trunk, waited five (5) minutes, still no recovery of rear air suspension. I then checked the air pump (compressor) located in the engine compartment, mid passenger's side, by compressing the needle of the fill valve of the pump, and it seemed to have quite a bit of pressure. I have read both the Owner's and Maintenance Manuals to no avail. Also have spent a couple of hours on the Web without many positive results. What might be my next logical diagnostic steps, as it does not appear to be sending air to the rear suspension or it is dissipating somewhere (though I hear no leaking sounds). I apologize for the rambling, as I am probably in over my head, am obviously no auto mechanic, don't know the proper terminology and I haven't worked on a car since my '72 Monte Carlo. Also, since I'm sure that most sane responders will instruct me to take it to a real mechanic, how far is it safe to drive with this present suspension problem ? Thanks for any help or comments you may have to offer.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 148

Re: 1998 Lincoln Town Car Rear Air Ride Suspension

05/13/2011 6:07 PM

There will be either a sensor, or a valve that acts in relation to ride level. I suspect that it or something related to it has failed.

Your best shot is to acquire a Factory Service Manual as this car has quite a lot of complex bits and pieces that require actual knowledge to deal with.

Don't bother with a Chiltons/Haynes or an ebay special cd manual they're not worth the paper they're printed on but get the Ford Factory manual from the dealer. Yes it will be expensive but if you're keeping the car then it's worht the investment.

Don't ask me how I know...

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: From going to and fro on the peninsula and walking up and down on it
Good Answers: 11

05/13/2011 6:37 PM

I remember an article that appeared in a car magazine about cabbies using Lincoln Town Cars for their rides. When the rear pneumatic suspension died, they had a mechanic yank it and install a hydraulic shock based substitute. This held up better to the abuse inflicted by less than ideal road surfaces, don't remember what the ride quality was or whether it was of paramount importance. You can probably Google= Lincoln town car rear suspension conversion or something along those lines. Good luck

In reply to #2

05/13/2011 6:49 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I had a 92 Jaguar Majestic that for some reason Ford/Jag decided it was a good idea to use the Lincoln self leveling suspension. Rode like Hell ! Had to replace it with the original Jag suspension. Cost me 1300 bucks though, and I'm not trying to spend that kind of dough on the wife's 98 vehicle.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 126

05/14/2011 12:17 AM

STOP!

During my lifetime I have owned several of the Lincolns with the air suspension that you have. In fact I think I may even have had the '88 town car you are trouble shooting. What I am going to tell you might sound like some whitch craft but it is the way to manipulate the rear and/or front suspensions:

There is a combination of shutting the ignition on and off and opening the driver side door several times that will manually manipulate the air suspension. Unfortunately there have been too many cars in my life since then to remember the exact sequence but that is how it is done. I would suggest you attempt to find a copy of the mechanics manual, do a search on the internet something like "88 lincoln town car air suspension", suscribe to alldatadiy internet service, talk nice to a local lincoln service manager or mechanic, or try a service center which has done some work on town cars and might have an old chilton's or other reference. I don't think it is in the owners manual.

Honest, this is what does it. I was sceptical when I first read it but it really works! It certainly is cheaper than replacing one of those air springs. It cost several hundred dollars about 20 years ago.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #4

05/14/2011 11:56 AM

Thanks Old Salt,

Sometimes the old "witch craft" ways do work, so it is certainly worth trying. Will try this when I reconvene with this project this afternoon. If this does not work, I will check for a faulty suspension switch (in trunk), then check the individual relief valves (leveling switch) on each axle before replacing the compressor or the air bags themselves. Thank all of you for your help and I'll report back with my results.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 126
In reply to #5

05/14/2011 2:32 PM

My source for the "witch craft" method was the manufacturer's shop manual. Try to see if you can get a look at one of them. It is the best source for the information.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 29

05/16/2011 8:24 AM

After replacing the relay (fuse), could you hear the air compressor running?

If not, I suspect your air compressor failed (blew fuse). Your finding pressure in the system was residual though that probably would not explain finding the air bags suddenly low unless you have had a slow leak for a long time and the air compressor gave out trying to keep up. In this case, replace the air compressor.

For my quirky operating air suspension system, I ended up replacing the control module located behind the glove compartment. (found one at a junk yard).

In reply to #7

05/16/2011 9:46 AM

Yes, I did hear the air compressor intermittantly kick on and off. Thanks for the tip on the control module, that's one item I hadn't thought of and haven't checked. In researching the pricing of various components of the system (relief valves, air bags, compressor, etc.) and due to the age and mileage (120,000+) on the vehicle, I may just decide to replace the rear suspension with a conversion kit consisting of springs and shocks.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #8

05/19/2011 11:22 PM

If you determine that you want to convert, the Town Car is basically the same as a Crown Vic, or Grand Marquis. The Ford has coil springs, and should be easy to fine in junk yards. Good luck.

In reply to #9

05/20/2011 5:53 AM

Thanks Bob. I have decided to convert to conventional suspension. Might even go the salvage yard route. Thanks again.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #10

05/20/2011 9:45 AM

That will free up the air compressor for use with the air cannon.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (2); old salt (2); packrat561 (1); Qwack (4); szwasta (1); Tobugrynbak (1)

Previous in Forum: Auto AC Compressor Clutch Failure   Next in Forum: 2002 Dodge Caravan, AC Issue,Moisture On The Ground and Passenger Side Under Glo
You might be interested in: Breathing Air Systems and Ventilation Air Systems, Air Hose and Air Duct Hose, Air Velocity Flow Sensors