CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Regarding to the Level Gauge   Next in Forum: Displacer vs. DP LT
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

39 comments
Associate

Hazardous Area Classification

06/15/2011 12:49 AM

Hi,

I would like to ask about hazardous area, I read alot about it but I need some explanation for some points.

* what type of certification of equipment can be installed in a following areas:

zone0, zone1, zone2.

*Can a purged equipment be installed in zone0 area? what is a purged equipment?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591

Re: Hazardous area classification

06/15/2011 3:48 AM

The definition of hazardous area zoning and the methods of protection for equipment that can be installed in it may be found in the relevant pages in Wikipedia. In there one will find that EEx p protection is not suitable for zone 0.

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

Re: Hazardous Area Classification

06/15/2011 11:33 PM

Zone 0, only intrinsically safe equipment are allowedRead IEC standards or proper guidelines.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

12/12/2011 11:15 AM

Actually, intrinsically safe category a. Category a equipment is safe with two faults applied.

Category b equipment is not permitted in Zone 0. Category b is safe with one fault applied.

Good Answers: 99

06/16/2011 4:01 AM

sounds like homework to me.... I suggest you first search CR4, then "google" your subject matter, as suggested!

Then if you still do not understand what you have found and learnt, then you are in a better position to ask educated questions when you come back to CR4.

Happy researching!!

In reply to #3

06/16/2011 4:14 AM

Yes Mr Brich,

It seems you havn't understood what I am saying yet!! please get back to the first thread again and read it carefully, if you still don't understand use a transilator to help your self,

even if you didn't understand again, please do not stuck your big nose in something you are not related with it........... its not diffecult honey!!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

06/16/2011 4:30 AM

Why such arrogance? What Birch said has also some sense, though I too replied to your thread.

(I know again you may send some arrogant reply to me)

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #6

06/16/2011 4:43 AM

sorry

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

06/18/2011 4:07 AM

thank you!

In reply to #5

06/18/2011 4:06 AM

I have understood perfectly well what you are asking and it what you are asking is something you can easily find out yourself, but have gone for the soft option.

Got a big nose have I?....A subject I'm not related to?.. and I'm NOT your honey!!

Now I'm not going to take that personally as you don't know me, and I guess as your written English is not that good.. it's your second language, so you may not reside in Europe or US. However, wherever you're from politeness is the way to go here, as I'm sure it is where you are from. If you want the forum's help, then you have to be able to take a few constructive comments and constructive directions on the chin, and if you aspire to be anything in the world, you have to listen and understand the advice your piers give you .

This forum will help you if you don't understand something, but, it will NOT do the work for you.

Your OP is doing just that asking this forum to do the work for you, imparting knowledge that has taken many of us decades learn...rather than you finding the answers, then YOU asking questions on those answers that your research has found....

what type of certification of equipment can be installed in a following areas: zone0, zone1, zone2.

You can find the answer easily....

Question: Do you know the difference between the zones?

Question: Do you know the distances of each zone?

As for purged equipment... look up the word "purged" then work from there.

I don't want an apology, I want you to realise that if you make comments like this again, you will get ZERO response to your future questions, and if you are reported to the mediators you might get removed from this forum, totally.

And for your future reference I teach in the local university campus as guest lecturer on hazardous areas, related equipment and safe work practices in the oil, gas & pharmaceutical industry.

06/16/2011 4:09 AM

Thanks all,

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

06/16/2011 9:39 AM

Do your homework, by looking up the NEC and ISO Standards relative to clasified areas, which spell out very clearly what is needed.

Also your question was so vague that it would require several hundred pages to address all the alternatives.

If you want better anwers, please be more specific and concise.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 67

06/16/2011 10:01 AM

I echo what the others have said about not using us to answer your homework questions. Telling us where you are would help.

In Europe you need to be reading the ATEX Directive 94/9/EC and its amendments.

Other information in EN1834 all parts.

Now: do you really mean equipment, system or device? When you can answer this you wll have learnt much, Grasshopper.

Good Answers: 3

06/17/2011 1:25 AM

In South Africa, Europe and most countries outside of North America, classification of hazardous areas is accomplished by separating the areas into zones. These zones are used to define the probability and risk of an explosive being present and there by the level of safety required for equipment installed in these locations. Protection Types denote the level of safety for the device. Groups classify the exact flammable nature of the material. These groups are separated differently than those of the North American Groups. Temperature identifications convey the maximum surface temperature of the apparatus based on an ambient of 40° C. These temperature codes are selected carefully so as not to exceed the ignition temperature of the specific gas or vapor to be encountered in the application.

In North America, hazardous areas are separated by classes, divisions, and groups to define the level of safety required for equipment installed in these locations. Classes define the general form of the flammable materials in the atmosphere. Divisions define the probability of the presence of flammable materials. Groups classify the exact flammable nature of the material

Explosion Protection Techniques

To enable electrical equipment to be used in hazardous areas, eight commonly recognized explosion-protection techniques have been developed over the years. National or international standards and codes of practice govern each technique. In South Africa the International series of standards, IEC-60079 are used in the form SANS IEC 60079 documents and defines in detail how the equipment should be designed and applied. National certifying and approvals authorities ensure design compliance and inspectorates vet and usually inspect each installation.

Flameproof [Ex d]

A method of protection where the equipment is contained within an enclosure, which will withstand an internal explosion of a flammable gas or vapor that, may enter it, without suffering damage and without communicating the internal flammation to the external explosive atmosphere through any joints or structural openings in the enclosure. The enclosure will be designed for a particular gas grouping (I, IIA, IIB or IIC). This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex d'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas

. Increased safety [Ex e]

A method of protection by which additional measures are applied to electrical apparatus to give increased security against the possibility of excessive temperatures and of the occurrence of arcs and sparks during the life of the apparatus. It applies only to electrical apparatus; no parts of which produce sparks or arcs, or exceeds the limiting temperature of the materials upon which safety depends that are used in its construction. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex e'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas.

Pressurization [Ex p]

A method of protection using the positive pressure of a protective gas to prevent the ingress of an explosive atmosphere into a space that may contain a source of ignition and, where necessary, by using continuous dilution of an atmosphere within the space that contains a source of emission gas, which may form an explosive atmosphere. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex p'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas

Encapsulation [Ex m]

A type of protection in which parts that could ignite an explosive atmosphere by either sparking or heating are enclosed in a compound in such a way that the explosive atmosphere cannot be ignited. The compound provides a barrier between the electrical apparatus and the explosive atmosphere. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex m'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas

Powder filling (sand filling) [Ex q]

A method of protection where the enclosure of the electrical apparatus is filled with granular material such as fine sand so that if an arc occurs, the arc will be quenched and not be liable to ignite the external explosive atmosphere. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex q'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas.

Oil immersion [Ex o]

A method of protection where the electrical apparatus is made safe by oil immersion whereby the oil presents a barrier between the explosive atmosphere and the electrical apparatus. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex o'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas

Intrinsic Safety - Apparatus [Ex ia] or System [Ex ib]

A protection technique based upon the restriction of electrical energy within the apparatus and in the interconnecting wiring, exposed to an explosive atmosphere, to a level below that which can cause ignition by either sparking or heating effects. Because of the method by which intrinsic safety is achieved, it is necessary that not only the electrical apparatus exposed to the explosive atmosphere, but also other (associated) electrical apparatus with which it is interconnected, is suitably constructed. The concept is divided into two sub-types which are dependent upon the number of allowable fault conditions. The symbols 'ia' and 'ib' denote the sub-types. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbols 'Ex ia' or 'Ex ib'. Equipment designed to the Ex ia concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 0', 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas. Equipment designed to the Ex ib concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 1' and 'Zone 2' hazardous areas.

Type N protection (normally non-sparking and/or non-incendive circuits) [Ex n]

A type of protection applied to electrical apparatus such that, in normal operation, it is not capable of igniting a surrounding explosive atmosphere, and a fault capable of causing ignition is not likely to occur. This design concept is reflected in the equipment marking by the symbol 'Ex n'. Equipment designed to this concept is suitable for use in 'Zone 2' hazardous areas.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #10

06/17/2011 3:54 AM

Good, so you showed, you know the subject.

Others seem think to think that OP must have studied the subject before asking very basic question

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

06/18/2011 4:13 AM

Greg...great answer, but, the OP should do his own work first.. unfortunately and no fault of yours other than you are a "giving person" you've given him part of the answer, rather than make him work for the whole of it.

Not a criticism, just and observation!

CR4 don't do homework!! :)

In reply to #14

06/19/2011 12:56 AM

Thanks to you very much all without exception,

Mr Brich,

Why such arrogance and revenge? I said sorry!

Anyway keep in mind your massage is recieved and I appreciate your criticism.

My problem is that I am just reading without teacher, if your teacher is just a book your knowledge wouldn't be enough, you should have a teacher to explain,

I am a trainer in a company, one time I asked a senior engineer what is PFD? he answerd PFD means Project Engineer!!! you blame me why I should ask like these basic questions?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

06/19/2011 1:13 AM

I wonder do you understand the words you have written, then after reading again the answer has to be, No!

I am neither vengeful or arrogant, and you said sorry to gsuhas, not me!

So I was right in my first post, it is homework. It is unfortunate that your company has asked you to take on a task that you are clearly not equipped for, but you are trying, so you get my vote for effort.

If you had explained your problem in your first post, then I and several others would have been a little more sympathetic to your quest, and giving you a helping hand.

So I will help, I will now look for a few links and send then to you, very soon.

Once you have read and understood the information I'm sending you, then please come back and ask questions if you have any doubts.

In reply to #16

06/19/2011 1:25 AM

Sorry to everybody

Register to Reply
Guru

06/19/2011 1:23 AM

reference 1: http://www.hexagontech.co.uk/hazard_basics.htm

ref 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_equipment_in_hazardous_areas

ref 3: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hazardous-areas-classification-d_395.html

and for purged units... http://www.pepperl-fuchs.co.uk/great_britain/en/classid_1762.htm

http://www.siracertification.com/UserDocs/Protection%20concepts/Methods%20of%20Protection%20-%20Purge%20Exp.pdf

and finally for an overall idea of Ex equipment follow this last link and look at the pdf's on this page... they will help you in deliver your training.

http://www.siracertification.com/ATEx.aspx?page=102

copy and paste the links into your browser bar. Hope these help.

In reply to #17

06/19/2011 1:26 AM

thank you very much

I'll have a look

Register to Reply
Associate

06/22/2011 9:32 AM

Okey I have a question now,

Can zone 1 exist within Zone 0?

I think the answer is yes, since explosive atmospher is present contineousely in zone 0.

Am I correct?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/22/2011 9:40 AM

No!

The zones are clearly defined by the level and presence of hydro carbons, if you have any doubt then please read the zone classifications and definitions, all in the links I sent you

In reply to #21

06/22/2011 9:45 AM

in zone0 is zone where explosiev atmosphere in a form of gas is continuously present!

mybe I cannot understand the question it self, can you please explain the question?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

06/22/2011 10:05 AM

my friend, its your question.. you asked it, and now you want me to explain it to you??

In reply to #23

06/22/2011 10:22 AM

Hazardous area zones and equipment categories

Hazardous places are classified in terms of zones on the basis of the frequency and duration of the occurrence of an explosive atmosphere.

Gases, vapours and mists

For gases, vapours and mists the zone classifications are:

Zone 0 A place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of dangerous substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is present continuously or for long periods or frequently.

Zone 1 A place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of dangerous substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally.

Zone 2 A place in which an explosive atmosphere consisting of a mixture with air of dangerous substances in the form of gas, vapour or mist is not likely to occur in normal operation but, if it does occur, will persist for a short period only.

Dusts

For dusts the zone classifications are:

Zone 20 A place in which an explosive atmosphere in the form of a cloud of combustible dust in air is present continuously, or for long periods or frequently.

Zone 21 A place in which an explosive atmosphere in the form of a cloud of combustible dust in air is likely to occur in normal operation occasionally.

Zone 22 A place in which an explosive atmosphere in the form of a cloud

of combustible dust in air is not likely to occur in normal operation but, if it does occur, will persist for a short period only.

In reply to #24

06/22/2011 10:32 AM

Farden... say thank you to Greg!!

In reply to #25

06/23/2011 12:09 AM

Yes my friend, You'r not the custodian to tell the people say thanks to someone, so please, my name is Fardan not Farden.

Thanks for all,

Mr Greg M,

I know clearly the definitions for all zones,

But the question is as per our senior says,

Can the installations which are specified to zone0 be installed in zone1?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #26

06/23/2011 1:23 AM

All equipment suitable for Zone 0 may also be used in Zone 1 or Zone 2. The same is true for equipment suitable for Zone 1 it may also be used in Zone 2 which is a lower risk area, but obviously not Zone 0. The same principal applies to Dust hazards Zone 20,zone 21, and Zone 22 but note that equipment certified safe for use in 'Gas' areas are not necessarily safe for use in dust areas.

I am out of town for a while and hope this helps. Remember also that the Classification (Zoning) of areas and the selection of equipment for use in these areas is not to be taken lightly it is a complex subject requiring a lot of understanding of the nature of the process and the hazardous condition, because when we get it wrong we can kill people and destroy plant and equipment.

In reply to #27

06/23/2011 1:36 AM

Thank you very much sir

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

06/23/2011 2:13 AM

Now you have asked a understandable question, the answer is yes, Zone 0 type equipment CAN be installed in zone 1, and the other way about as they both usually have the same specifications, but overall EX equipment usually has different ratings so you would need to check before use. If you're not sure, then use the higher ratings all the time.

And after your comments to me about big noses etc.. by asking you to say thank you, it would be a lesson in manners, as I think you need them, again as proven by your latest outburst, Farden!

06/23/2011 1:34 AM

So, after contacting our electrical discipline I have acheived 2 answers!!,

somebody says Yes!!

an others says No because the zones are deffirenets any way, and this will be my answer

Register to Reply
Associate

06/26/2011 12:26 AM

About the Identification, further to understand,

when we say Zone 0 is a zone where explosive atmosphere in a form of gas, vapour is present continuously,

Is that mean it is dangerous also to the human becuase of inhalation of this hazard?

Are there any requirements to the human as there are for Instruments and devices?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

06/26/2011 1:13 AM

hold up there my friend, you are now showing that you know absolutely nothing about this subject of hazardous areas and you are stepping into REAL dangerous territory.

CR4 is here for ADVICE only and NOT to educate you FULLY on your chosen subject.

The advice given in this and any other forum is just that, advice and given as such. You are asking questions that if answered and with your total lack of experience will be a danger to you, others and I would not like to think of the consequences.

AS to the dangers present to humans, it is now time you go a find a REAL training course and spend some time studying Health and Safety.

What would be your next set of questions.... how to install the equipment.. how to make of the glands....how to use a screwdriver?

Sorry pal, no cigar for you!!

In reply to #32

06/27/2011 9:55 AM

Okey pal,

I respect your saying as my manner in respecting any criticism and open my self for any advice to me, and I thank you and everybody.

dont think I'm not Serious, but if you advice me where to take some lesson or online training related to this subject I will be very gratefull,

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

07/01/2011 6:56 AM

If you need traing on the subject...

Call either Birch or me as a professional trainer. We will be happy to come to your company and many more people also can learn the subject at a time.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

12/12/2011 11:18 AM

If a human is present in either zone 0 or zone 1 with a flammable atmosphere present too, then the UK's Health & Safety Executive will prosecute.

06/29/2011 12:56 AM

What is the difference between EExia and EExib?

all what I know is ia is designed for providing protection for 2 fault, and ib is designed to provide protection for 1 fault.

what does it mean?

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #34

08/04/2011 3:47 AM

Ask you lecture.......

In reply to #34

12/12/2011 11:20 AM

Please stop posting questions on this topic on CR4. Their nature indicates that attendance at a local training course would be of great benefit, both personally and also to the prevention of fire/explosion and production loss at the facility.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Banana86 (1); brich (11); English Rose (1); Fardan (14); Greg M (3); gsuhas (3); PWSlack (4); vargaalex (1)

Previous in Forum: Regarding to the Level Gauge   Next in Forum: Displacer vs. DP LT

Advertisement