Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

2 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 205

DIY Plastic Extruder

06/18/2011 5:43 PM

I came across this video, and I know there are lots of people on CR4 interested in building their own positive manufacturing equipment... so I think this will be of interest to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqKC0i0a7Y

enjoy

Chris

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: DIY extruder Extrusion HDPE homemade plastic
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 95

Re: DIY Plastic Extruder

06/20/2011 9:57 AM

Cool operation. I once worked in the extrusion of plastic films for Dupont back in the sixties. The extrusion in the video is not unlike a large operation but film had different quality needs. At that time it was felt that backyard extrusion was going to go far but really never happened. I often thought of pelletizing waste plastic of all sorts and colours and then extrude the pellets to form bricks for retaining walls or plastic slabs for patios. Other dyes can be added to give some uniformity of colour. I am sure it likely has already been done but I am not sure if people realize it can be done on a small scale. I have no business plan but my intuition tells me it could be profitable for small communities or individuals. I would sure love to be able to move plastic building blocks around the garden rather than trying to move some heavy slabs or manufactured stones.It would be a good recycling method for all plastics. I think I am beyond my ambitions to start a new business.

The use in hydroponic gardens is very niche oriented but not a bad idea for small scale use of plastic. I just doubt there is a business market for small scale extrusion of this sort (niche use) but much more for the plastic block. Thanks for the video.

Canada - Member -  Member

Location: Hamburg NY (just south of buffalo) pre-Hamburg(1998) home was the Yukon territory of Canada
Good Answers: 21
In reply to #1

Re: DIY Plastic Extruder

06/20/2011 12:35 PM

I have a vague memory of watching either discovery or science channel a few years ago and they were using methane from the dumps in mexico to heat and recycle the plastic "garbage" into building bricks of some sort.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: VSD on Hydr Power Pack   Next in Forum: Weld Design

Advertisement