CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ambient Energy - A Power Source?   Next in Forum: Auto-Cooling Bra
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

12 comments

Hybrid Crank Drive

07/12/2011 6:30 AM

i'm in the process of trying to study an invention my father worked on for the last 30 years. He's designed a new radical type of eccentric connecting rod attachment to an existing crankshaft. After many years of failures, he has in my view designed a unique and effective new dimension to the existing crankshaft/connecting rod ratio equation. Unfortunately he passed away, and all i have left of his years of work is a working hand model, and a 1/2 finished machined components(he was an old school tool maker). My question is, What would be the best avenue to persue with this technology. Would it be ideal to initiate talks with motor vehicle companies, or begin a new entity and develop this product internally. My skills are limited in this area in regards to toolmaking. Anyone in a simular/or technical background, your advise is welcomed..For those that are interested heres a few links on what he worked on over the years: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0340213.pdf http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0218718.pdf quite a few more available, so as i explained, his skills in the thermodynamic efficiency area was his forte.. any extra comments please post regards..Lyn Pal

CR4 Admin - email address removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers posted in threads or comments, and we strongly urge you not to put up email addresses. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: crankshaft invention
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 136

Re: Hybrid Crank Drive

07/12/2011 11:36 AM

You have a pretty interesting post. First off your patents are expired so in essence you have nothing. You couldn't protect any idea from the 1980s. If you understand how engines and "clearances" work you can see some BIG problems with the crank design. Focus on 22 and 23. That area would fail under just a slight load. I could go on and on about why it wont work but I'm sure you'll see others jump on that.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing it.

In reply to #1

07/12/2011 4:34 PM

yes thanks for the comment, the patent that i posted, this design was built back in the 80's by my father, a running motor, and your correct, we had power loss due to the added so called "Bell Cranks"(friction gain outwayed the power gain), the failure here led him into a different direction with his current design which i was asking about!thanks again!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

07/12/2011 5:27 PM

Okay I don't understand your question then. Are you saying the links you posted aren't for the engine you want to take to the next level?

In reply to #4

07/13/2011 4:11 AM

correct, they are past failures, a new design is sitting on the bench, ready for R & D work!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

07/13/2011 6:31 AM

Without knowing what you're actually working on (top secret) it's actually hard to say. Building an entire working engine isn't easy. The main thing here is to ask 2 questions. Why, what application? As to the "why", your engine has to in some way be better than what's available. It has to make more power, have better mileage, weigh less, etc. Otherwise all you're doing is making the same power but just in a different way/design. No one will buy that. As to "application", you mentioned auto companies. Are you saying this is specifically designed for the auto world? If it is and some auto company was interested it would take years of testing on their part to prove out the design. You'd basically be asking them to do several millions of dollars of research to improve and prove your design. That isn't too likely.

If you wanted to approach most investors you have to have a working model. You might be envisioning a V-8. I'd suggest you make a single cylinder (2 cylinder if you have some sort of opposing design) that can be shown to investors. Sketches and drawings wont usually get much funding. In your pitch I'd leave the 30 years and failed patents out of your story. Just focus on what you have today.

I'd also be scanning the patent registry on a regular basis to make sure what you have is unique. I personally applied for a patent (auto industry related) on a safety device that was uncovered when I did my patent search. In the time my attorney wrote up and submitted my idea someone else was awarded a patent that had a claim that covered a key element of mine. I got stopped out right there.

I'm not trying to discourage you but again I stress, you have to have something "better", not just different. And you have to be able to prove it to get the attention of investors.

I looked at the design you scraped. Assuming the newer design is basically the same I assume you're looking to make more low end torque. It didn't looking like a high rev design. Am I right?

In reply to #9

07/13/2011 8:17 AM

yes, your analogy is pretty spot on! We have been through the stages of actually building an entire motor block from sand casting, right through to machining and assembly of a working model.And Yes the new design is suited to a low rev diesel motor. As my father once discussed years ago, the future in the motor industry will be with diesel, as you can see most european economical priced vehicles are nowadays offered as diesels(better thermodynamic efficiency).thanks again, enjoy the aspects of discussing ideas to progress the ancient combustion engine, into a new efficient/economical form!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #3

07/13/2011 8:49 AM

Bell-cranks are not a new invention, you will find many different types on many different types of steam engines from the 1800s and early 1900s!

Spencer.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 148

07/12/2011 2:13 PM

And by disclosing it here, you may have legally voided any possibility of patent protection anyway.

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #2

07/12/2011 11:38 PM

Not exactly. If he had indeed disclosed anything which is patentable, he has thereby opened up his 'bar date'; and, he now has 1 year to apply for that patent.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1139

07/12/2011 6:19 PM

"What would be the best avenue to persue with this technology"

First, document and date everything, before disclosing anything to anybody.

Make anyone you show the technology to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Finding an honest partner can be tricky.

Then, you'll have to decide how you can best protect your intellectual property. It will be a question of money, unless you have vast resources already at hand.

I went through this with active noise cancellation 20 years ago. There are plenty of companies willing to talk to you, if you are not a crackpot. It just takes time.

In reply to #5

07/13/2011 4:21 AM

thanks for the advise,I hope to one day post the finished design with positive results!On a side note, i believe in the past 100 years most enhancements/powergains have occured mainly from the block upwards(eg, fuel injection,turbo, multi valves etc) whereas the bottom end has essentially remained primative. This is where in my opinion gains of great magnutude can be produced, if the correct mechanism is designed!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

07/13/2011 12:29 PM

I don't know that it is possible to have "great gains" in any mechanical system. There are so many trade-offs with efficiency, mass, materials, lubrication, ease of manufacture, etc. that makes incremental increases the usual course of events. I can tell you now that having a working model in hand that has measureable benefits over existing designs is the fastest way to interesting other parties.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

davidmac (1); Fredski (3); lyn (1); palaus (4); Rorschach (1); SWB123 (1); xanasax (1)

Previous in Forum: Ambient Energy - A Power Source?   Next in Forum: Auto-Cooling Bra

Advertisement