Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Can Laptop Battery Be Revived? Part 2: Result   Next in Forum: How Can I Separate Arsenic from Enargite or Tennantite Ores?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

21 comments
Associate

How to Dilute Pure Capsaicin

08/07/2011 10:35 PM

hi, I have pure capsaicin, which have at 16,000000SHU, how to dilute it to make it 1,000000SHU? plz advise me!! tq

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: capsaicin
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 587

Re: How to Dilute Pure Capsaicin

08/07/2011 11:12 PM

Munch 50 Scotch bonnets, or 500 jalapeños, and get back to us in the morning.

¿16:1 with water, maybe with some sugar in it?

Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 150

08/07/2011 11:19 PM

Worked in a medical research lab while at Uni with the same problem. Following is what we did.

From our master material, we made a "child" batch that was 1 part master in 9 parts distilled water. (1ml of master provides 10ml of child. Don't mix the lot, otherwise you end up with huge volumes.)

From this child batch we then created another "grandchild" that was 1 part in 9. (Again, only mix down small portions and keep your concentrates well identified and properly stored for later use.)

So, to get from 16,000,000 to 1,000,000 I'd go 1 part parent plus 7 parts distilled (giving a 2,000,000 concentration) then mix 1 to 1 for use in the experimental program as and when required.

(You will need to do your "error function" calculations based on the scales/glassware you are using, but usually you can get VERY accurate 1ml and 10ml temperature compensated glassware.)

What are you wanting to use that concentration for? It's still relatively potent at that level?

(I am assuming that your original material is already in solution. I do know that our parent source capsaicin was powder form and the first stage created some issues and discussion about mass versus volume versus molar concentrations etc. These discussions actually took longer than the final dilutions since we had to get it right. We were in medical research using it for certain nerve blocking properties.)

In reply to #2

08/09/2011 8:33 PM

hi boss, tqvm for the feedback, but I hv few dilution rate, some advice to dilute 1:16 ratio, so who should I follow? but if you is on unisersity practise, then I should follow yours. I want use capsaicin in pest repellent products.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 128

08/08/2011 2:41 PM

Capsaicin is insoluble in cold water.

This is from the MSDS: Easily soluble in diethyl ether. Insoluble in cold water. Freely soluble in benzene, alcohol, chloroform. Slightly soluble in carbon disulfide, and in concentrated hydrochloric acid.

A method of solubilizing capsaicin in water by intermediary solution in ethanol is described here.

A nice discussion of solubility and taste effects of various molecules including capsaicin is found here. Ethanol or oil are recommended solvents. Calcium efflux from your cells makes the burning taste.. just as if you were burned.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #3

08/08/2011 11:27 PM

I knew a girl once that was freely soluble with alcohol and chloroform!! :)

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #4

08/09/2011 12:30 PM

... and chloroform?!!!! That sounds kinda nasty.....

On the other hand, so many of life's best things are freely (and even informedly) soluble in alcohol. The finest, no doubt.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #3

08/09/2011 4:43 AM

GA. That's what I was thinking as I read the OP. When your mouth burns after a curry/chilli, drink milk not beer to cool it....

In reply to #6

08/09/2011 1:59 PM

Yeah, but milk is for sissies. Beer is especially delicious with curry, even if doesn't cool the burn. Oh alright, I admit it, in case of a bad burn... call me sissy.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #10

08/13/2011 1:27 AM

I should have said:

Take a tip from the land of curry and drink lassi. I like the coconut flavour, you may prefer mango.

Commentator

Good Answers: 2

08/08/2011 11:37 PM

Try diluting 1 part of the capsaicin with 15 parts grapeseed oil. That should give the required dilution in a usable form.

Good Answers: 25

08/09/2011 8:10 AM

If it is for sale as a food flavour, use any suitable cooking oil appropriate to the country of use at 1:15 vol/vol.

Good Answers: 4

08/09/2011 10:48 AM

Definition: The number Scovill Units = the number of drops of water it takes to make one drop of sample undetectable to the tongue. So, 16 water to 1 capsaicin in this case.

Register to Reply
Power-User

08/09/2011 5:43 PM

Boil the pepper in oil.

08/09/2011 6:46 PM

Good luck with your fence, Devarajen! I see why they dissolved the pepper in old machine oil. Hope the capsaicin works super. Don't forget to post and let us know how it works out.

In reply to #12

08/09/2011 8:28 PM

hi,artsmith, you are smart guy, still remember me & why I want use pure capsaicin! I only doubtful on capsaicin as it only last few hours after sparying! tq

Guru

In reply to #13

08/10/2011 5:36 AM

"I only doubtful on capsaicin as it only last few hours after sparying!"

Devarajen,

Yes, I think one good reason for using benzene/old machine oil as the solvent is that it will not wash away or biodegrade quickly in the open environment and lose effectiveness.

There is one issue, though, with pure capsaicin vs. whole peppers. I notice in the MSDS and elsewhere, that capsaicin itself is odourless. If it has no smell, how will the elephants smell it and stay away?

It's possible (but not certain) that some capsaicin is volatile in the mix, so might be detectable to an elephant. But it seems likely that the smell of whole peppers is an important part. I suspect that capsaicin alone wouldn't work as you hoped for.

In reply to #16

08/10/2011 9:03 AM

HI Artsmith,

Thanks for the feedback.

Ya, Capsaicin is odourless but it have burning / hot effect like peppers if come contact with skin. I also read research papers that elephant stay away for hot peppers & scientist still questioning is it because the smell or because of the Pepper contain, Capsaicin the elephant stay away!!. Plz refer definition of Capsaicin & SHU in google search, there are remarks on these teory there.

So my plan to dilute it, to make it around 1-1.5million SHU, the highest record pepper, naga variety, & sprayed it around farm boundary, it might or not might be working!! but not harm trying & c.Only problem, Capsaicin will volatile very fast so i have repeat the spraying quite often

tq

Guru

In reply to #17

08/10/2011 2:03 PM

Well I guess you will test the theory! Let us know results.

Don't forget to protect your eyes when mixing and spraying pepper.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #18

08/11/2011 8:50 PM

and remember the first law of hot chiles, "Wash your hands before you pee."

In reply to #19

08/12/2011 12:27 PM

08/09/2011 8:34 PM

hi guys, tqvm for the feedback, I will go thru it! tq

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

anicholas (1); artsmith (7); bht2010 (1); bioramani (1); Devarajen Rajagopal (4); English Rose (2); Gazu (1); Goo (1); guds777 (1); Just an Engineer (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Can Laptop Battery Be Revived? Part 2: Result   Next in Forum: How Can I Separate Arsenic from Enargite or Tennantite Ores?