Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Hydraulics Control System   Next in Forum: Clarification for MAWP of the Vessel
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

5 comments
Commentator

Nozzle Load

08/28/2011 6:58 AM

I am looking into calculating the nozzle loads in a pipeline. It is a simple pipeline. Is there any hand calculations that could be done to determine the nozzle loads? In industry, CAESAR 2 is quite prominently used for nozzle loads, but I dont want to invest in getting that software for a simple pipeline network. Any help is appreciated

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 239

Re: Nozzle Load

08/28/2011 11:57 PM

In reply to #1

08/29/2011 1:21 AM

Dear Abdel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked through the posts and also looked through the book. I have a couple of questions on them.

1) You had mentioned, Fa, FL and FΦ , am i right to say that they refer to axial force, longitudinal force and circumferential force?

2) You had mentioned the values of K in your posts for different rated flanges. I am unable to find that in the book. I would like to find out what exactly the K value is supposed to represent and how were the values determined?

3) I dont seem to find the formulas that you had listed in your post in the book for the force components and moment components.

"A. For Carbon Steel:

Force FA = K x 675 x D , FL = K x 1000 x D & FØ = K x 1000 x D

Moment MT = K x 125 x D2 Nm , ML = K x 100 x D2 , & MØ = K x 75 x D2

where, K = 1 for Flange rating 150-300# and K = 1.25 for Flange rating > 600#"

What does the 675,1000,1000 in the force calculations represent and likewise 125,100,75 in the moment calculations. I hope to have some clarifications on these formulas.

5) In the above mentioned cases, it just states the allowable nozzle loads. Are there any books/references that allows me to calculate the nozzle load experienced in my pipeline that is subjected to only internal pressure from the fluid flowing through it (at a temperature that would not exceed 70 Degree C, thus i need not consider thermal loads).

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #2

08/29/2011 8:12 AM

If you aren't going to use CAESAR, then you'll have to think of it in terms of your Mechanics of Materials course.

What forces are acting on this nozzle? What stresses are on the nozzle? You should have a combination of axial and shear stress, so use a method like Von Mises to combine the stresses. 3D problem can get very complicated very fast so that's why we use CAESAR to calculate.

If you have a simple drawing, I can give you a little input on how to calculate it.

ASME B31.3 might have some short cuts but none that I know of.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #3

09/10/2011 1:34 AM

Hi Cingold,

I have attached a simple sketch of my piping configuration

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

08/30/2011 2:17 PM

Its simple. Get the calculations done form a consultant having CEASER. You might have to pay him for the services but it is always safer and good to get these type of things done form professionals instead of making something undesirable and landing in bigger mess.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); cingold (1); mahesh_4754 (1); vanuta (2)

Previous in Forum: Hydraulics Control System   Next in Forum: Clarification for MAWP of the Vessel