CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ants Have Magnetic GPS In Their Antennae, But What Else?   Next in Forum: 60 Million Year Old Mummy?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

11 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 446

Don't Die Unnecessarily Pt 2 (Basic Lifesaving Procedures)

11/14/2011 9:37 AM

Found out last night that another guy I know died on Saturday night. He was sitting on his front porch drinking regular cola. It went down the wrong tube and he choked to death. He was 46.

His wife didn't know these procedures:

http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/quickcpr.html

http://heimlichinstitute.com/page.php?id=34

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
Canada - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 25

Re: Don't Die Unnecessarily Pt 2 (Basic Lifesaving Procedures)

11/14/2011 10:12 AM

Sorry about your friend. Everyone should know at least the basics of CPR. I saved both my kids from choking when they were younger. My wife and I both take yearly refreshers. You just never know when you'll need it.

In reply to #1

11/14/2011 11:16 AM

We weren't really close. He was a friend of a friend, but still it's a shocker. Man you just never know what's coming.

It's funny that when some famous science or computer person dies it'll stay on the front page for a week, but I throw something up that could actually save someone, and it's down within minutes.

Kind of an odd way of prioritizing things.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591

11/15/2011 3:06 AM

Good Answers: 19

11/15/2011 6:54 AM

I agree, everyone should have some working knowledge in CPR / standard 1st aid. I have used this training too many times to mention. Most people do a good job if they have the smallest amount of training. Surprising how many people could be saved.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

11/15/2011 7:05 AM

Back when I was running crews, I was required to be trained in first aid, CPR, etc., but that was back in the 80's. This incident reminded me that I no longer have it committed to memory. With the internet, it's very easy to stay familiarized. At the very least, I need to visit web sites, you tube videos, etc. a few times a year and keep this information fresh in my mind.

How many times have any of us experienced or witnessed a drink going down the wrong pipe? Yikes!!!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 128

11/15/2011 7:42 PM

It was on the news here, recently, they are going to make CPR training mandatory in high school. Apparently a lot of people die when basic first aid training of the public could prevent it. I for one would like to have that training (but don't).

My elderly mom asked me last year what I would like for Christmas. I told her I would like a course in CPR - but it turned out it was prohibitively expensive!

In reply to #6

11/15/2011 8:03 PM

It doesn't have to be expensive. The basic stuff is pretty well covered on line...........................obviously with some sites being better than others. On line instruction combined with practice with head and hand positioning for the various procedures is adequate.

They've found that even less than perfect CPR combined with mouth to mouth can keep a person alive until the professionals get there. If you have any friends on the police or fire dept, I'm sure they'd be happy to take a half hour and walk you through it.

It's all pretty easy...........................the primary thing is not to panic when confronted with that situation. That part can't be taught, but it's absolutely necessary. If a loved one is in a life or death situation, panic can drive all the training in world out the door.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #6

11/27/2011 6:19 AM

Is there an organisation similar to the UK's St John Ambulance?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #8

11/27/2011 6:36 AM

Yep, they're the ones who offer the course. However I can't afford it at the present.

Check out this video - "Stayin Alive" is a song with the right rhythm (100 beats per minute). I saw this on the news some time ago, but whenever I think of it I can't remember the song. The title is certainly appropriate. Now if I could just get it to upload into my "emergency response" files...

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #9

12/03/2011 1:29 AM

Song is

To my mind it's a bit fast. The deliverer will never last typical response times.

Our training is 5 compressions then 1 ventilation. A good pair can do it seamlessly at about 60 bpm. I.e. compressions are not interrupted for ventilation.

What needs to be stressed is not to start compressions if there is any trace of a regular pulse - just ventilate and monitor.

If you have volunteer rescue or firefighting organizations in your area, you will most likely find CPR training is available via them free.

In reply to #10

12/03/2011 6:37 AM

Yeah, I also found two other songs with the same rhythm. "Breathe" by Prodigy is a good one. "Another one bites the dust" is the same, but of course, the lyrics are fatal.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (1); artsmith (3); English Rose (1); fixitorelse (1); kramarat (3); PWSlack (1); Steve of the North (1)

Previous in Forum: Ants Have Magnetic GPS In Their Antennae, But What Else?   Next in Forum: 60 Million Year Old Mummy?

Advertisement