Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 25kVA Transformer Inrush Current   Next in Forum: Arc Rated Clothing
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

25 comments

Good Answers: 1

Wattage Equivalents for Different Voltages

12/18/2011 9:36 PM

I want to run a 120v. heater element on 12v. I want to know how much wattage (amperage) it will draw on 12 volts. I know the wattage will be lower, but I seem to remember that it will not decrease by a simple factor of 10 just because the voltage is 1/10th. Is this correct? And how do I figure what the drop will actually be? Is there a formula for this type of conversion? Thanks for the help.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: wattage conversion
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 74

Re: wattage equivalents for different voltages

12/18/2011 9:58 PM

For a first approximation Google up "Ohm's Law".

The heater element will probably have a change in resistance as temperature changes so using Ohm's Law on available data will be of limited value, possibly very limited value. You are so far outside the intended application of the heating element that a data sheet is probably useless.

For this simple question the best answer is probably "You will not be happy with what you get if you try this".

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 568
In reply to #1

12/18/2011 10:29 PM

GA This is exactly what will happen with the most likely heating element, nichrome. The resistance of the heating element increases with its temperature.

Now how the OP might generate a formula will be convoluted and iterative but it can be done. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to derive a curve because there will be a variety of other items that affects your results (i.e. mass of filament, surface area of filament, thermal mass contacting filament, bimetallic regulator, air temperature, air velocity). I'd just do a hand wave expectation of a 20% wattage and then attach the 12V and measure the current from start to equilibrium, done.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 598

12/18/2011 9:58 PM

Yes, Ohm's Law. At 12V, the heater will draw 1% of what it does at 120V.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #2

12/20/2011 6:05 AM

Here, and in 4, wouldn't that be 10%, and (roughly approximated) 15%-20%?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #16

12/20/2011 6:11 AM

Never mind. No coffee yet, this morning. Dumb strikes daily!

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #16

12/20/2011 9:52 AM

yes it would.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

12/20/2011 7:02 PM

Hi Tornado

you missed a zero - it would be 10% and it will only apply to the inrush current before the element starts to warm up and thus increase it's resistance

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #21

12/20/2011 9:40 PM

Sorry, but you are wrong on both counts. See also several other correct posts.

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #21

12/21/2011 12:14 PM

Incorrect. Review Ohms Law and the power formula.

Re: Wattage Equivalents for Different Voltages

12/18/2011 10:47 PM

Good points from 1 and 3. At the lower running temperature, the heater's resistance will be somewhat less than Ohm's Law alone dictates. (I'm too lazy to look up the curve; WAG 1.5-2% of the original current at 120V.)

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 547

12/18/2011 10:47 PM

Not enough information. The question was about WATTAGE, not amps (although later you say them as if they are the same, they are not). So no it would not be 1/10 the wattage. For those of you who said so, take a look at your Ohm's law again. Wattage is Power, or P. In Ohm's Law, if all you know is that you want P and you know E, you must use P= E2/R.

You don't know R, but assume it will not change. All you are changing is the volts (E). So really, without knowing the wattage of the heater you don't know the answer. Here's why:

Lets say for simplicity that you have a heater rated 1200W at 120V. That means the resistance is 1200/120 = 10Ω.

Now you apply 12V and use the above folmula. 122/10Ω = 144/10 =14.4W

14.4/1200 = 0.012, or 1.2% of the original wattage

But now let's say it is a 500W heater at 120V. 500/120 = 4.16666667Ω.

You still have 12V so that part is still 144, but now it is divided by 4.16666667Ω = .006912, or 6.9% of the original wattage.

So again, you cannot answer this question without the wattage to start with.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 568
In reply to #5

12/18/2011 11:47 PM

True! If the resistance never varied with temperature the expected wattage would be 1% of the original wattage. But depending on how hot the nichrome filament gets a 10% increase in resistance is not unheard of.

So was my 20% wattage estimate guaranteeing that the 12V supply would have plenty of reserve current for testing? You betcha!

Guru

Good Answers: 488
In reply to #5

12/19/2011 4:35 AM

Huh? Sorry but your math is worse than mine and there is more than enough info to come up with at least a percentage of power ratio!

For example.

A 500 watt 120 volt heater would have current load of 500/120 = 4.167 amps not a resistance of 4.167 ohms.

Its resistance would be 120/4.167 = 28.8 ohms.

at 12 volts 28.8 ohms of resistance would allow 12/28.8 = .4167 amps of current flow.

12 volts at .4167 amps equals 5 watts or 1% of the 120 volt wattage and yes a slight fudge factor for the heater element resistance could be included also but still even then its doubtful that the actual wattage at 12 volts would still be over 2% of what it would be at 120 volts.

"Posting information on the internet is rather like casting seeds to the wind. Once it leaves your hand you have little chances of getting it back and no control over where it may land or what may sprout from it in the future." tcmtech.
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

12/20/2011 12:44 AM

P=E^2/R

Therefore R=E^2/P

in your example R= 120^2 / 1200 = 12 ohm

OR, since E is 1/10, P~ 1/100 - simple squares.

Resistance will drop with the colder wire - my 1500 watt heater (R=120^2/1500 = 9.6 ohms) reads 10.5 ohms cold(wrong direction - limit of meter accuracy or the name plate on the heater is "within manufacturing tolerances") -- therefore at 12 volts it would provide only 13 watts of heat. -- hmm, resistance essentially didn't change, only a percentage point or two.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 227

12/18/2011 11:16 PM

Check out this website:

http://www.wiretron.com/nicrdat.html

...and look at the table below where you'll find that the resistance goes up by a maximum of 6.3% at the wire's operating temperature. Therefore it's safe to assume that at 12V the heater will draw 1/10th of the current it would draw at 120V and consequently the power will be 1/100th its original value, or 10 Watts instead of 1,000 Watts. Ohm's law triumphs again!

Ni Cr A - Increase in Resistance with Temperature

Good Answers: 494

12/18/2011 11:38 PM

Heating elements are generally rated in kw...A typical portable room heater is around 1500 watts...The watts equal the voltage times the amperage....If you have a 1500 watt heater running on 120v that equals 1500 divided by 120 which would be 12.5 amps..Any variation in the voltage will effect the amperage...So if you have a 1500 watt heater running on 12v that would be 1500 divided by 12 which equals 125 amps...This is not a practical setup....Resistance heat is one of the largest consumers of electricity, so the higher the voltage the better....It is the least efficient heat source, speaking monetarily...Household electric heat is generally between 10 and 20 kw running on 240v and when on, fully consumes nearly half the available power to the home...

12/18/2011 11:55 PM

If the heater is immersed in liquid, the hotter/colder temperatures won't differ much, and the resistance will remain nearly the same.

If immersed in gas, there will be a greater temperature difference, along with a resistance difference as in the previous table.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 588

12/19/2011 10:33 AM

It won't be so much of a heater on 12V, more a slight warmth-emitting curiosity.

How about selling tickets to see it? It might draw a crowd....

Good Answers: 1

12/19/2011 8:07 PM

Thanks for all the generous and quick replies. I think I get the picture- forgot about Ohm's law. I'm not expecting too great a temp. rise, so I don't think the change of resistance will be significant (but good to know the principle). The 1% figure is really helpful. I knew it wasn't a straight line reduction, but didn't know about the squared thing- quite a difference! Thanks so much for all the help and time to post, and Merry Christmas to all.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #12

12/20/2011 5:09 AM

I'm not expecting too great a temp. rise, so I don't think the change of resistance will be significant

Just to clarify: the heater's power is specified at the elevated temperature you'd expect if you ran it at 120V, so, the change of resistance running it at just above ambient will be significant. But the 1% does still get you in the right ball park.

Good Answers: 11

12/20/2011 5:24 AM

Measure the resistance of the cold heater. The resistance will go up less than 10%, as indicated by another answer. Now use V * V / R for Watts.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22

12/20/2011 10:28 AM

Lots of nice theories, You say you want to run it on 12 volts? AC or DC ? This is a practical application?? So connect your 12 Volts to it and measure the current and apply Ohms Law. Why would you want to do this in the first place?

Good Answers: 2

12/20/2011 6:13 PM

One time I picked up a 3000W 220V heater that someone had placed 110V plug on the cord. I figured it still put out 750W which was plenty of heat to keep my feet warm under the kitchen table and with fan running at a slower speed it was quiet too.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 38

12/20/2011 10:08 PM

I have a baseboard heater rated at 3000 watts that I use in the bedroom at 115 volts instead of its rated 230 volts. Works perfect, doesn't get very warm, but has a thermostat. I figured it at one quarter the heat output. You can do the math.

Good Answers: 17

12/21/2011 12:59 PM

It is unbelievable the number of mistakes and misconceptions by so many on simple ohms law and power calculations for a resistor.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 25 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); Charlie Greenwood (1); Far (1); garth (1); GW (2); JRaef (1); K_Fry (1); micahd02 (2); ormondotvos (1); paulgeiger (1); PFR (1); Phaddy (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); Randall (1); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); Tornado (4)

Previous in Forum: 25kVA Transformer Inrush Current   Next in Forum: Arc Rated Clothing