CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Piston Rings Material Selection   Next in Forum: Comparing Mild Steels and Carbon Steels
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

5 comments
Active Contributor

Calculations for Welding Pipe

05/02/2007 7:48 AM

Dear All,

I am mechnical Engineer,we are doing pipe line project, Dia of the pipe is 72" which used for our project but Maximum dia we are getting only upto 48",so we tried to bring plates and roll it using roller machine and it also get sucess

Plate used for rolling is 2M x 12M x 10MM thick Material:S275 JR,Please Advice how much electrode used

Note: 1) we required to weld in Lth Section and as well as in dia Section

2) Welding using for this project is Make:-Essab,E-7018,dia 2.4mm,3.2mm lth

3) Total Length of the pipe line 200M2

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: Calculations for Welding Pipe

05/03/2007 12:26 AM

Assume the rolled 72"sections are 2 mtr in length

Welding volume calculation Weld V60 º

Plate thickness 10 mm

Root opening 3 mm

Nose 3 mm

Welding volume for V welds 60 ° for each mtr

Rootopening x Plate thickness + ( Plate th. – nose length) ^2 / (SQRT(3) = mm2 cross section

mm2 crossection x 1000 mm length / 10^3 = netto weldvolume cm3

3 x 10 + 49/1,732 = 28,29 mm x 1000 mm / 10^3 = 58,29 cm3

100 pcs of longitudinal weld of 2 mtr 11.658 cm3

99 pcs of circumferential welds 72" 33.083 cm3

--------------

Total nett welding volume 44.741 cm3

Add 10% for spherical closing 4.474 cm3

Add 5% for grind back and counterweld the root 2.237 cm3

---------------

51.452 cm3

= approx 400 kg netto welding metal

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #1

04/30/2009 1:39 AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your reply with worked out example.I have been searching for this stuff for the last 6 months.I have raised this query in many forums and groups and unfortunately none of them responded properly.Many people gave answers in a vauge manner as they are the new generation Einsteen!!!!Like every engineer, I also know the common mathematical principle what we have to apply over here.But a worked out example is a different one with unit conversion and it really giving practical exposure.You have done a great job for fresh or less experienced welding engineers.

Again thank you

Regrds,

Inconel

05/03/2007 12:29 AM

Consider the weld joint design is "V" {Buttweld with 1.6mm gap}. Consider this to be a "Triangle". You need to calculate the area of this Triangle. i.e. the plate you have considered is 10mm thk. Hence, the triangle dimensions - height =10mm, Bevel angle = 30 or 45 deg.. Now calculate the base. Now you have the dimensions of the triangle. Calculate the area of the triangle. Multiply this with total length. This area is what you should be filling with an electrode. {A}

The electrode is of 250 or 350 or 450 mm in length depending upon the electrode dia. Consider 75% of metal deposit efficiency {exclude the wastages}. This would give you weld metal deposit with one electrode. {B}

Now do the simple arithmetic - how much electrodes are required for the total worked out for a given weld design

trust this clarifies.

Register to Reply

04/30/2009 1:49 AM

Hi Sre eram,

If possible provide a worked out example instead of explaing common maths.Please avoid explaining common mathematical principle as we are well aware of those things.We are looking for real practical explanation with examples.

In reply to #4

Reg: Calculations for Welding Pipe

01/05/2010 7:49 AM

Hi ,

This is raghu I am working weldind calculation. can you please help me how to do welding calculations for rectanguler tube which are perpendicular to each other. welding type is v-type weld.

Thanks and regards,

raghu

raghugct114@gmail.com

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); inconel (2); Peter (1); sre_eram (1)

Previous in Forum: Piston Rings Material Selection   Next in Forum: Comparing Mild Steels and Carbon Steels

Advertisement