CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: On Load Voltage Drop in Alternator   Next in Forum: HT Motors
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Power-User
India - Member - New Member Germany - Member - New Member France - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Polystyrene Wire Cutting

01/19/2012 12:13 AM

hi friends,

I am making one RC plane.
So i need your help in cutting wing of that.
I do have one profile which is connected to ends of polystyrene.
I think it could by wire cut by heated wire.
I dont know i am right or not but if i take 1mtr 1dia aluminium wire & connect its end to Phase & neutral of mains then it will burn Or gets heat?
If It burn then how to make that or small dia cu wire heated up so that it will cut Poly. smoothly.

The sheet is 720mm.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 73

Re: Polystyrene Wire Cutting

01/19/2012 1:45 AM

Aluminium or copper will give you a short flash and a bang on mains. Stainless wire or inconel driven by low voltage should work, but only with the speed control of a CNC stage. And leaving adventure aside, doing all that for a single item is far from justified. S.M.

India - Member - New Member Germany - Member - New Member France - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #1

01/19/2012 2:07 AM

if i want to go for less dia wire i.e. Copper 0.1mm then what kind of supply i have to use.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591
In reply to #2

01/19/2012 3:31 AM

For safety's sake, keep it 12V and below....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591
In reply to #3

01/19/2012 3:48 AM
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 554
In reply to #4

01/19/2012 3:57 AM

Nice link Slacky, I've been considering making one for trimming fletchings on arrows, but oh so many projects, oh so little time.
Del

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1115

01/19/2012 8:24 AM

Nickel chrome wire is the preferred wire. These work very well after you get the cutting speed figured out.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 61

01/19/2012 8:34 AM

Hot Wire cutters will tackle anything from RC plane wings giant blocks of foam for mattresses.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 47

01/19/2012 10:18 AM

A scroll saw would cut your profile OK, I use one at work for cutting polystyrene.

Link

01/19/2012 10:49 PM

Thanks all above after making wing i will post its pics.

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #9

01/20/2012 3:04 AM

That length of resistance wire will require about 15 Volts to work. However when this wire gets inside the foam, it will get hotter and you have to move the foam faster. Practice first before cutting the profile you are working on.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

01/20/2012 8:00 AM

Also bear in mind the drag factor when cutting the profile. When the wire is pulled through the polystyrene, the wire forms an arc and this can lead to mis shape of the profile.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

01/20/2012 8:57 AM

Take the blade and holder from an x-acto knife and put it in a cheap pencil type soldering iron. this can be used as a cheap "hot knife".

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 79

01/20/2012 11:35 AM

I was thinking an old-fashioned soldering gun to get the voltage down, a variac or dimmer switch to vary the input voltage and some stainless wire, or even just plain steel floral wire would probably do too. I prefer the variac because dimmer switches add all kinds of funny harmonics that make strange noises in your transformer. With a soldering gun you could probably also jig up some curved shapes using small pieces of sheet metal.

Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 164

01/20/2012 6:30 PM

Look here:-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-wire-foam-cutter/

He spent $30, it could be done cheaper too if you already have a workshop etc..

You do not need a CNC machine if you are only building one aircraft.....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Del the cat (1); DGCYS (1); edignan (1); lyn (1); Nigh (1); Phaddy (1); PWSlack (2); rajeshbhanushali123 (2); SimpleMind (1); Tony Aston (1)

Previous in Forum: On Load Voltage Drop in Alternator   Next in Forum: HT Motors

Advertisement