Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Maximum Water Flow Through Piping   Next in Forum: Compressors and Boosters for Drilling
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

6 comments
Participant

Torque to Tighten an M8 Brass Nut

05/02/2007 10:28 PM

Dear all,

How much torque is required for tightening a M8 nut brass on M8 stainless steel bolt ? Can anyone advise a setting value or a reference handbook or link, pls.

To be honest, I dont know why they use brass nut on s/s bolt. It's been there for yrs.

Thanks & regards,

TaTa

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Re: Torque setting to tightening a M8 brass nut?

05/03/2007 10:35 AM

You don't mention the thread pitch so I'll assume it is coarse (M8 x 1.25). The correct tightening torque for this combination with a dry brass nut would be about 110 in-lbs.

Brass nuts are commonly used on SST bolts for a couple of reasons. One is it prevents galling and seizure of SST to SST threads and (2) in the event of thread stripping, the brass nut will fail first. In that case, the brass nut can be removed and replaced and the SST bolt reused. This is commonly done when the SST bolt or stud is fixed to the assembly.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

Re: Torque setting to tightening a M8 brass nut?

05/03/2007 7:01 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing yout knowledge BlueStone. It's vey helpfull indeed.

Your assumption is correct which is M8x1.25.

I converted the 110 in-lb to approx. 12.5 Nm.

Once again, Thanks a lot.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Torque to Tighten an M8 Brass Nut

05/04/2007 12:02 AM

You can go this way. 0.6 x pitch x 3.142 x nominal dia ( in this case 8 itself) x no:of threads in the nut x (0.25 x shear strength of the nut you use). The 0.25 can be increased upto 0.5 depending on your application. If it is very critical keep it between 0.25 to 0.3, if it just used kinna normal application can raise the same upto 0.5. These values are perfect for any application. Lastly the answer you get with the formula above is the basically the shear off strength. Now you can drill down to your respective units whether metric or british accordingly. If still help is required please revert back.

Mr. Idiot always.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 156
In reply to #3

05/04/2007 12:22 PM

To Mr. Guest,

Your formula is wright and wrong at same time. The shear section depnds on the relative "strength" of the 2 materials. The factor 0.6 can go as high as 0.875 if the nut is less strong than the bolt. From the other side when shear occurs all threads are equally loaded since all are at/over elastic limit. The shear limit is usually 0.6 of elastic limit of material (in fact near to 3^-.5) with a 0.5 factor there is a high risk if any overload occurs. It is better to have a safety factor of 1.5. It should also be considered that usually the limit is set taking into consideration the dispersion of the tightening tool. If this is too big an overload can occur even at assembly.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

05/05/2007 1:39 AM

Yes Mr. Nick name,

I totally agree with you. First of all, the way I have put across seems to be confusion. In clarification to same, 0.6 was the root width ( In ideal case 0.875 as you said and close to 0.8 in precise applications). the 0.25 to 0.5 factor is the FOS ranging from 4-2. Hope I am clear while all that you have shared is also perfectly right.

Mr. Idiotalways.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

05/12/2010 3:35 AM

Any chance you could give us an example, I have plugged the data for an 8mm brass bolt in to these equations but don't seem to get a usable answer...

Here's the values I have used.

0.8 x 1.25 x Pi x 8 x 5 x (0.25 x 235x10^6)

Here's the link to the reference for brass data that I used http://www.vegasfastener.com/Brass.php

My application is brass nut on a brass bolt. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); Bluestone (1); nick name (1); ttai2007 (1)

Previous in Forum: Maximum Water Flow Through Piping   Next in Forum: Compressors and Boosters for Drilling
You might be interested in: Bolt Tensioners, Nut Runners, Nut Runner Controllers