Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Rankine Cycle Question   Next in Forum: How to Decide Branch Connection Fittings
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Associate

Continuous Motion, Gravity-Driven, Power Generator: Pinwheel Generator

01/30/2012 2:57 PM

I would like to bring to your attention the design of the Pinwheel Generator that was given to the world for free: www.squidoo.com/pinwheelgenerator . This is a compound mechanism where there are two mechanisms, operating independently, within one machine body. Each mechanism is gravity driven (dead fall), and resets the other as it goes through it's own cycle. The laws of Thermodynamics are not being violated, they are being circumvented. The machine is being powered by gravity so any energy being extracted is free to use, not being needed for the machine's operation. Thank you, Russell Lee

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: gravity generator
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 475

Re: Continuous motion, gravity-driven, power generator: Pinwheel Generator

01/30/2012 3:07 PM

Oh,,,,Thank god, somebody has finally solved the energy crisis....whew......wait a minute,,,,won't that cause the collapse of the energy structure as we know it, leading to a collapse of world markets, and mass hysteria worldwide, leading to famine, riots people running wild in the streets eating their young and the end of the world as we know it? What? it doesn't what? Oh ,,Thank god, we are all saved....it doesn't work...Whew, that was close...

In reply to #1

01/30/2012 3:29 PM

The ship is sinking anyway, over one billion are in hunger now. The energy structure that is in place exists to control and disempower. The monetary system is designed to push the people into financial slavery and dissolve national identities. Ocean ships should be running HHO systems, using the ocean as their fuel source-but they aren't, the natural resources of a nation should be seen as the property of the citizens of that nation-but they aren't. The planet is being poisoned, the people are being genetically altered (whether or not they want to be) by the introduction of steriods into the food (meat) they eat. Children are coming into puberty years before they should be. In the 70s there were 3 innoculations for children, the autism rate was 1:100,000. Today there are 30 innoculations for children, the autism rate is now 1:100. What so you suggest, do nothing and die because the transition to a better way will be painful?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1060
In reply to #3

01/30/2012 3:40 PM

Just show us a system that works. Either political or mechanical.

You will find few allies here, I fear.

Many will say you are misguided, but the mention of HHO as a viable energy source has already branded you as a quack.

Keep the faith.

In reply to #4

01/30/2012 4:05 PM

Here is how to build your own HHO generator. Take an aquarium, place a rubber mat on the floor and fill it with water. Then place five groups of three stainless steel plates (7" by 7", 1/4" apart from each other: III III III III III ) on the rubber mat, the plates being held apart also by rubber separators. Connect a wire to run continuously to each outer plate, connecting the our plates passing outside of the inner plate, and have that wire go to the top of one side of the aquarium. Do the same with the inner plates, connecting them continuously with a wire ending up at the top of the other side of the aquarium. Cover the aquarium with plastic sheeting so that it hangs down and is on the water. Run a tube from the top of the aquarium (inside the sheeting, above the water) into a large jar 1/2 filled with water, run it 1/2 way down into the water. Connect the positive terminal of a 12 volt car battery to the post that connects the inner plates to each other, and the negative terminal to the post that connects the outer plates to each other, the water will begin to fizz-that is hydrogen gas being separated from the water. As it builds it will pass through the tube and down into the jar and begin to bubble to the top of the water in the jar. Take your long lighter and hold the flame to the bubbles and watch them ignite to show it is a flammable gas. Now, cover the jar and run another tube from inside the jar (not in the water but above it) to your car engine's carburetor. If you are generating enough hydrogen your car engine will run on it (you may have to first disconnect the pollution control sensors because they will shut down the engine if they do not detect petroleum fuel coming in, and petroleum fumes going out). Warning: DO NOT test the gas for flammability without the jar, the fire will travel into the aquarium through the tube and ingite the hydrogen gas accumulating there-a gas bomb.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #7

01/30/2012 4:16 PM

I can't imagine that the fish are too crazy about this set-up.

Russell,

I don't doubt that you can separate enough H2 out of water to make a flame. I doubt you can harvest enough energy out of pond water to power a ship. Nobody talks about how much energy one must invest to release the H2 and from where that energy would come. No wait, you can generate it with the pinwheel contraption, right?

What powers your present vehicle?

If you detect a slight note of cynicism, you should.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #7

01/30/2012 4:22 PM

HEALTH WARNING

The height of your horse is getting to a stage were you will hurt your self when you fall off.

Check those saddle straps

Good Answers: 475
In reply to #7

01/30/2012 4:23 PM

Yeah but what about when the battery goes dead...I suppose your going to tell me to hook it up to the alternator on the car, the only problem is, that don't work....Perpetual motion, free energy machines, aren't possible in this world....If you don't believe me, then build one, make a video of it, and post it on you tube....

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #7

01/31/2012 5:54 AM

I am sincerely amazed how often CR4 attracts stupid comments on free energy we had our "geniuses" acting several times and finally insulting every body who did not share their effort to save humanity.

I would suggest every time such a nut starts again a thread about subjects we already spend too much time to make their impossibility understood that we make the effort NOT to answer and NOT to comment.

Those "believers" are not able to get any other idea than their own. They reject any other opinion.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 150
In reply to #3

01/30/2012 3:54 PM

Welcome to this engineering forum. It seems that you are a very enthusiastic individual who is prepared to push the boundaries to get answers.

The devices that you mention (HHO etc) have been examined and will undoubtedly be responded to by the others here, but I'll focus on your autism comments.

Diagnosis of autism has increased in the time period that you indicated, but in Australia there has recently been studies that indicate incorrect diagnosis of this and other behavioural disorders. (Doctors telling parents there is something "special" about the child.)

The original study that "linked" autism to innoculations has been so reviewed that the original authors and sponsors have been jailed for extensive periods of time for publishing erroneous material. Their selection process for candidates was significantly flawed and as I understand went something like the following.

They contacted/located around 20 families where a child had been diagnosed with autism at around 5 years of age.

They then asked these families whether the children had been innoculated within the previous 12 months.

They found that almost every child had been innoculated.

(They failed to report that public immunisations in that country innoculated almost every child in preparation for school attendance.)

They could have asked "Did the child eat bread in the last week?" or "Did the child drink town water?" or "Did the child consume flavoured soft drink?"

It is indeed interesting to see that so many years after the study was refuted, there is still a core of people who in some way believe that not innoculating children for these horrible disseases and allowing the suffering that this could bring is justified.

I suggest that you look at the infant mortality rates over time in your home country and see whether there has been an improvement.

01/30/2012 3:14 PM

The laws of thermodynamics don't come into play at all.

Some of the other laws of physics may get in the way, though.

Good luck.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 213

01/30/2012 3:55 PM

Russel, I went to the site linked in your original post.

I am drop-jaw amazed. How does anyone with an iota of sensibility buy into this? The more I read from the site the more I feel the need to shower.

[edit] Regarding the red herring of autism and the role of innoculations: "In the mid-1970s there was little evidence of a genetic role in autism; now it is thought to be one of the most heritable of all psychiatric conditions." This from Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders. 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press; 2007. ISBN 0-521-54957-4. p. 157-78.

01/30/2012 4:28 PM

Anybody here familiar with a "Polish magnet"?

The term comes from a less politically correct time.

Anyway, you ask someone if they've ever seen a (insert your favorite ethnic name here) magnet. They say no. You say, "follow me" and see how far they follow you before catching on to the trick.

I sense an "Arkansas" magnet here.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

Re: Continuous Motion, Gravity-Driven, Power Generator: Pinwheel Generator

01/30/2012 7:25 PM

I'd like to introduce you to a fellow traveler

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/75456#newcomments

both solutions are equally likely

I'm pretty sure you took a wrong turn at Keelynet...

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #12

01/31/2012 12:02 PM

As welcome as these comments are, I would like to put everyone to one challenge, show me where the Pinwheel Generator design is deficient. The first stage of energy generation is unchallengeable-gravity dead fall. There is no issue here. The second stage is the 90 degree rotation to the next generation stage, which is a combination of an over weighted wheel, and a push-off from the push bar at the bottom, again, gravity dead fall. Again, there is no issue here. If there is no issue with either of the two stages, in this two stage operation, then the problems being had in accepting this design stem from fashion, and not science. Valid criticism is welcome, I have yet to read any thus far, but everyone does seem to be having a good time! Find the flaw in the design. Russ

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

In reply to #14

01/31/2012 12:32 PM

Russel, is this series of sketches representative of your device? If yes, can you sort of narrate them for the forum?

I see you got a semi-favorable discussion at overunity.com. Are there other internet discussions we can review as well?

In reply to #15

01/31/2012 1:29 PM

There is a description of the operation of this machine at the top of the Squidoo site (squidoo.com/pinwheelgenerator), I'll describe the sketches as they appear in the box. Sketch #1 is of the basic operation of the energy generation stage of the machine. In the bottom cylinder you will see a weight ball (depending on the scale it could weigh between 500#-20,000#) sitting in a cradle. Below the cradle there is fluid inside a liner. The weight of the ball, by gravity dead fall, pushes down on the cradle, pushing the fluid out of the cylinder, up the outlet pipe, through the Pelton wheel area (turning the wheel), and up through the pipe into the upper empty cylinder. As the Pelton wheel is turned, it in turn, turns the outside wheel that is, by chain or belt, connected to an electricity generator (or water pump, air compressor, whatever). As the wheel turns, the generator turns, electricity is generated. This occurs until the weight ball has reaches the bottom of the bottom cylinder. Sketch #2 is the situation (weight wise) that exists at the point where the weight ball has reached the bottom of the bottom cylinder. The bottom cylinder now has no fluid weight in it, the top cylinder has been filled with fluid (and it's weight), the right side cylinder is full of fluid, and the left cylinder has only it's weight ball at it's axis. If the fluid weight matches the weight of the ball, then there are two of these weights in the top, two in the right side, one in the bottom, one in the left side. The whole machine is now over weighted to the upper right hand side. Sketch #5 and #6 are of the operation of the cylinder stop and push arm. #5 is in the position where the 'T' arm coming out of the cylinder has, after it's rotation, come against the stop bars. As the bottom cylinder's weight ball continues to push the cradle downward, the cradle presses down on the unlocking mechanism, where the 'T' is depressed below the stopping bars so that the whole machine can rotate 90 degrees clockwise. As the 'T' is being depressed, it also is pushing down on the push arm beneath it, compressing it's spring, and storing almost enough energy in the spring to equal the weight of the ball. When the 'T' has cleared the stop bars, the compressed spring can now push out on the 'T' to begin it's movement to rotate the whole machine 90 degrees. At this point, there is added another weight toward the rotation. Before the 'T' cleared the stop bars there was the full cylinder on the right (two weights), and the empty cylinder on the left (one weight). add to that now the additional one weight (almost) to the right side because of the energy in the spring, so that now it's almost three weights to one, ensuring the rotation to the left, until the rights side full cylinder rotates down to where it's 'T' contacts the stop bars, It's weight ball now begins to descend, beginning the next generation cycle. Sketch #3 is the side view of the machine. Sketch #4 is the gravity valves of the pipe lining up to allow the fluid to flow correctly with the rotations. There is, within the cradle, an inverted automobile-type leaf spring with a depression arm exposed in the bowl of the cradle. When the weight ball sets in the cradle it depresses arm and pushes in the leaf spring. When the cylinder empties and rotates to the left side, the weight of the ball becomes less that the strength of the spring so the spring pushes the ball toward the axis. (This may be an unnecessary step due to the fact the machine is already sufficiently over weighted to rotate.). That is how this machine works. Russ

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Associate

In reply to #16

01/31/2012 1:34 PM

There is one other plate that is missing from the squiddo site. This plate shows that there is an air transfer pipe that runs from each cylinder to it's opposite on the other side of the axis. As the weight ball descends it creates a vacuum in it's cylinder. As the fluid builds in the upper cylinder, displacing more area, it creates air pressure. The pipe just vents the air being pressured in the top cylinder, to the vacuum being created in the bottom cylinder. Russ

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #16

01/31/2012 2:10 PM

you need to work on your description

line breaks between the steps & numbers or letters indicating a sequence of operations

if you are using IE, firefox or Chrome the enter key will give you a line break,

safari, opera or some others type [ p ] without the space before & after the p will do the same

without even trying to decipher your description a couple of things:

[1 you are responsible to provide evidence that your device works, I'm certainly not going to expend any of my resources in that effort

2] ignoring the losses to friction, you can't extract the energy of the weights falling to generate power & use the same energy to lift the weights?

basically you forgot to pay the gravity tax, no matter how you slice it you have to lift the weights to start the cycle over

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #19

02/02/2012 2:03 PM

Garthh, Clearly you do not understand how this machine works by your stating "lifting the weights". I have explaned this operation twice, once on squidoo, and once here. All you can do is throw insults. You are now ignored.

Guru

In reply to #37

02/02/2012 3:05 PM

Oh you Saver of the world,

Perfect response! Punish us and leave our site we do not deserve to have such a genius among us and not recognize his skills!

You will notice that I do not insult you if I so highly claim your supremacy in wide thinking.

I would have a simple question: in which grade have you stopped your school visits ? The earlier the more valuable are your achievements.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Associate

In reply to #38

02/02/2012 3:21 PM

You entertain yourself. If you explored this CR4 site you will find Garthh is a serial insulter. This is all he does.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #39

02/03/2012 5:02 AM

Dear Genius,

You did not answer my question. Why ? Are you not proud to demonstrate that school is nothing and only ingeniousness is what our poor world needs ?

As you read above we, simple minded, technical engineers deal only with basic knowledge in fact we are amazed that some brilliant mind as yours was able to go over the boundaries.

A new question maybe you will answer at least one of the 2: according to description from another participant which is the category which fits the best to you ?

1,2,3 or 4 ? Be honest !

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #46

Continuous Motion, Gravity-Driven, Timesuck Generator

02/03/2012 9:59 AM

what about all of the above?

I hate when tests don't include all of the above

Charter Member Serial Insulters Club

applications available, see the manager of the BBT pub

Anonymous Poster #5
In reply to #47

Re: Continuous Motion, Gravity-Driven, Timesuck Generator

02/08/2012 4:31 AM

S/He's been evicted.....pub has been raised to the ground....<sob>

Guru

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #37

02/02/2012 3:23 PM

I don't think you need to be like that about it.

It's quite possible Garth is struggling with the 60,000 lb ball pushed inwardly will somehow exert more moment than the opposite 60,000 lb ball, which having fallen, is now displaced much further from the axis.

Some people are just picky about things like that.

And this is also why I suggested you might be better off just employing that paddle wheel

In reply to #40

02/03/2012 11:25 AM

At the end of the generation cycle, the ball in the bottom cylinder has traveled away from the axis while emptying the cylinder of it's fluid. As it was doing this, it was filling the upper cylinder with fluid. The upper cylinder now has the weights of both the fluid, and the ball. The bottom cylinder just has the ball weight. These weights do not initiate the rotation. The rotation is initiated by: #1 The right side cylinder have both it's ball, and the fluid weight (outweighing the left side cylinder that only has it's ball in it, like a teeter-totter with two people on one side and one on the other), and #2: The push arm that now has it's spring compressed to push the bottom cylinder away to begin the rotation. The spring arm acts like a third person on the right side of the teeter-totter, against the one person on the left side. It is only when the machine begins it's rotation that the upper and lower cylinder weights come into play at all. When they do the top has it's two weights, the bottom it's one. During it's rotation, when the machine has rotated 45 degrees, both the right full cylinder, and the top full cylinder are adding their weight on the right side to continue the rotation (four people), whereas on the left the are two ball weights countering the rotation (two people), one of which is now against the axis. This is the most simplistic description I can give-teeter-totters sans crayolas. Russ

Guru

In reply to #51

02/03/2012 11:35 AM

I can't take this anymore. I'm outta here.

Russell, I hope you make a million bucks on this... I forgot, this is your gift to mankind. Thanks Russel, this has been entertaining. See ya around.

Can't seem to get the Cavalier started...

In reply to #52

02/03/2012 11:38 AM

Hey, hold on. WAIT FOR ME.

Russ, you're a real piece-o-work.

Good luck!

In reply to #51

02/03/2012 12:16 PM

the teeter totter analogy is apt

the energy to continue the cycle provided by the participants legs

otherwise the system winds down to equilibrium, as expected

no matter what you would like to believe, you have to pay the gravity tax

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #51

02/03/2012 1:49 PM

Personally I prefer Conté, but now I see the weight of the fluid is apparently providing an equivalent moment to the mass of the ball, I wonder about the densities.

I mean, after all, if the fluid is quite dense, then how/why does the ball 'sink'? How/why does the ball push a dense fluid up to the top?

In reply to #55

02/03/2012 2:10 PM

Water would work, molasses wouldn't. There would be sufficient pressure from the weight of the ball to push the water through the exit pipe, turn the wheel, and up into the cylinder, overcoming the weight of the water in the pipes + the power needed to turn the wheel. A nominal vacuum is being produced from the upper cylinder to help bring up the water, it is occurring by the ball cradle in the upper cylinder dropping down, pulling the liner with it, as it fills. Fill a cylinder with a water-filled liner, put something heavy on it, open a hole at the bottom of the cylinder, and measure the force at which the water is exiting the cylinder (a 50 gallon can, or trash can). The pressure is considerable. the pipes can be 12" in diameter. As the machine rotates, the wheel (pelton or whatever) is carried through the rotation also, helping to continually turn the generator.

Guru

In reply to #56

02/03/2012 2:34 PM

How can you expect to be respected when you do not answer questions ?

Your suggestion is so AMUSING that I will take the time (not immediately) to show you where the flaw is, not you but the "machine".

Have a nice weekend and enjoy you fantastic ideas!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

02/03/2012 3:12 PM

I did say "density" as in Specific Gravity - not viscosity, which is a totally different question/property.

But say its water. SG 1

Is the ball stone SG ~2.3, or aluminium SG 2.7, or iron/steel SG ~7.8, or lead? SG 11.3

I.e. do you have any rough dimensions, volumes, strokes, from which to derive the moments?

The moments after all, determine if it moves and in what direction and with what energy.

A "moment" by the way is not a 'time', it's a 'force at a distance' - like a lever with a weight on the end. Or in your case, a seesaw with balls and water mass varying in distance.

Power-User

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #58

02/08/2012 4:25 PM

At a brief glans it looks promising.

But even if you could get around all the other problems mentioned above, I can see one glaring problem that has yet to be mentioned.

Centrifugal force, as your generator starts to rotate centrifugal force will pull your metal balls away from the axis till an equilibrium is created and then your machine will come to a grinding holt.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #97

02/08/2012 4:40 PM

if your Glans is brief

consider circumcision

Power-User

In reply to #99

02/08/2012 4:45 PM

Guess I asked for that

Got distracted

Guru

In reply to #101

02/08/2012 4:50 PM
Guru

In reply to #101

02/08/2012 5:33 PM

No really &

The irony is the OP who is the only one who thinks it will work - hadn't thought of that.

And you are dead right - virtually any rpm kills it dead.

I.e. the laugh isn't at you - but with you

In reply to #97

02/08/2012 4:42 PM

Ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa - made my day! Deserves a GA

To be frank, that possibility never crossed my mind - major oversight on my part

probably because that involves it actually turning ...

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #97

02/08/2012 5:05 PM

Good thinking. That'll stop this nonsense quick smart.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #37

02/02/2012 3:30 PM

Build it yourself!!!! Then talk about who understands what!

Until then, you're just another strange person with a superiority complex. It's a sad comment on your life that you are the only person on the planet that's smart enough to see what a wonderful machine this folly is.

You should search out people of a like mind, which you won't find here.

Try:

Community - What is Over Unity and Free Energy - Register - WaterMotor kit
  1. Simple Magnetic Overunity Toy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. The Tom Bearden Website
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

02/02/2012 5:20 PM

I'm clear on what will happen with a device as you describe

what have you designed & built?

when you actually have some real world experience, you may understand the utter impossibility of what you are suggesting

not an insult, a fact

you are in classic denial mode

we can't help you with the problem [lack of knowledge] you won't admit to having

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

02/02/2012 5:31 PM

Garthh, I would like to place a portion of Blink's comment you referenced in #20. I feel this is particularly applicable here. Russell, please consider these words carefully; the truth is contained in them. My editorial remarks are bracketed.

"Here [at CR4], we deal in science, and view the promoters of such drivel [overunity devices and schemes] as falling into four classes: 1. aggressive frauds, 2. people profoundly ignorant of the central principals of science, 3. jokers or 4. insane.

"People in the first and fourth class we cannot help. People in the second class can simply read a good physics text, a good chemistry text, a brief text on thermodynamics, and (for the automotive scams) a text on combustion engineering."

That sums it up pretty well.

In reply to #43

02/02/2012 6:17 PM

I persist

because occasionally we help someone in the grip of denial find their way to learning & understanding

Charter Member Serial Insulters Club

applications available, see the manager of the BBT pub

Guru

In reply to #45

02/03/2012 10:07 AM

Although I swore off this thread, I've been watching from the sidelines.

I cannot let this opportunity pass me by. I dropped by the BBT pub to join the SIC, but those idiots are so stupid that they didn't even know what I was talking about. There's not enough grey matter in the whole pub to make a good brain, I don't know how they stay in business.

Anyway, although I never criticize anyone, I'd like to join your organization. I feel it may help me come out of my shell, so I can defend myself against all the flamers out there.

Yours truly,

lyn

Anonymous Poster #3
In reply to #48

02/03/2012 10:47 AM

The BBT pub manager always has a seat available for you, lyn. However, we would prefer that you take mass transit or walk to and from the pub; management is a little leery of your driving skills.

Guru

In reply to #49

02/03/2012 10:56 AM

I'm not allowed to drive any more.

In reply to #16

02/02/2012 2:51 AM

"As the Pelton wheel is turned, it in turn, turns the outside wheel"

It occurs to me that Pelton might not be the most appropriate technology here.

Maybe you should consider the 'micro-paddle'

Here is one I found on the web which I think might suit.

In reply to #31

02/02/2012 11:53 AM

I appreciate the suggestion 34point5. There are other ways to have the liner operate also, like as an accordian, for one. Since this design was given to the world for free it is my hope others might consider building one themselves. If nothing else it would be a fun office display as just the working machine w/o the generating hardware.

Thanks again, Russ

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

02/02/2012 12:10 PM

This is a fun office display:

At least there is some motion... please note, the motion is not perpetual.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #33

02/02/2012 12:40 PM

How much power does it generate?

U NO WHO

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

02/02/2012 1:34 PM

Any power that is generated by a Dippy-Bird is easily absorbed by a LynDoor™ Industries WattSucker® G-6.

We have recently negotiated a contract to supply the WattSucker G-6 V2.1 as an aftermarket item, intended for any model year Chevrolet Cavalier. Cavalier owners rejoice! Now you will be certain why your car does not run/start/turn off/shift gears.

In reply to #32

02/02/2012 12:33 PM

so you have built one then?

yeah that's what I thought, you want someone else to do the hard work & spend their own time & money, to prove what is clear to everyone here but you

free is worth what you pay for it...

another fun office display

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #16

02/02/2012 6:15 PM

How do these "gravity valves" work in the Southern Hemisphere? U NO WHO

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #16

02/05/2012 5:05 PM

"That is how this machine works. Russ"

What's wrong in 25 words or less: it's not a machine - it's a sketch of a fantasy. That's all it will ever be.

In reply to #59

02/06/2012 12:50 PM

So many potato throwers, yet still no valid criticism showing where the design is deficient. Only posers. If I were to draw some sketches of a V-8 engine, that would be of a machine. If you are so sure this is a fantasy, you should be able to explain why you are. Since you do not seem able to, your potato has, as they have all, missed. Is this a website for juveniles only, no real mechanical engineers here? I issue the same challenge now as I have in the past: Prove this design is not valid by engineering principles, not by academia fashions. If you cannot, your opinion against it is not valid, and you should remain with flat-earthers (they were the 'experts' of their time also-in their own minds). Russ

Guru

In reply to #60

02/06/2012 1:20 PM

Why do you in insist that we validate a concept that you, obviously, have no grasp of??

My advice to you is to quit wasting our time and yours, and go back the the overuntiy crowd, where all the smart guys are. They will stroke you all day long. We won't.

This thread is dead. I'm gone out of your "life"?? forever.

I hope you get rich.

Maybe you can team up with the "inventor" of this contraption and both get rich. Repower Vehicle for Energy Economy, Reducing Noise, Better Safety, Maneuver

In reply to #61

02/06/2012 1:56 PM

I am not insisting you do anything lyn. I am merely pointing out that the attacks against the design are unfounded. If a person is going to called a design invalid, but have no basis for their accusation, how can their opinions be valid. There are supposed to be scientists here. Where is the scientific method being applied in these attacks. All I did was post a few sketches and everyone went postal. I don't challenge you to show me why you think this machine design is not valid by using real science, I'm challenging you to validate your own position as a scientist/engineer. If a scientist opposes a conclusion, they must show why, scientifically. No person here has done this, they have only thrown potatoes. No one here seems capable of proving why this design will not work. No one here is showing themselves as a scientist/engineer. It is a simple challenge that no one is willing to take up. That can only mean no one has the evidence necessary to invalidate the design, which means only one one of two things; no one has the intellect in the area of engineering to have a qualified opinion to challenge the design, or the design is valid. No more potatoes please lyn, no one is making you read these postings.

Guru

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #62

02/06/2012 2:37 PM

Let's start with the Pelton Wheel [hereinafter, "PW"] attached to the large wheel that is the basis of your "mechanism". The energy that can be put into the moving liquid will be turning the wheel counterclockwise due to reaction force at the nozzle; the SMALLER amount of energy that could be extracted by the PW is trying to turn it clockwise. BTW, you actually need only one blade or bucket, since the nozzle only points at that single spot at all time. This results in ZERO energy available to turn the generator - or indeed, the wheel itself. Your "design" is precisely equivalent at this stage to using a boat-mounted fan to push on the sail; you're merely using a different fluid.

If the PW were to have perfect efficiency, and extract all of the energy directed at it, there would be none left to raise the liquid beyond that position; a second total failure in "function". Each stage of this concept loses additional energy to friction; your belief that gravity is replacing it and adding more is beyond merely wrong; it's ludicrous.

There is no "single device" [NOT "singular] restriction regarding perpetual motion, as you claim. In any case, the framework that ties your cylinders together makes this a single mechanism anyway! The two parts are totally dependent upon each other - or would be if they actually existed. To use your own example, building a V-8 engine does not make it 8 independent engines.

And you HAVE been insisting that the collective "we" do something, which would result in our wasting time building YOUR fantasy for you. Clearly, you are unaware or the meaning of the scientific term "conservative field". Two such fields are gravity, and magnetism. You have invoked both, without the slightest knowledge of either.

In reply to #63

02/06/2012 4:15 PM

+1

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #62

02/06/2012 5:37 PM

I note you have skipped my post 58.

Wise man.

Or are you just accustomed to what happens when 'science and engineering' are applied to your dream?

BTW "zero negative" does not mean "1 positive".

In reply to #62

02/06/2012 6:01 PM

How about you offer this contraption to a potato bag filling factory so they can stack bags with it and load trucks. I wouldn't count on Lyn making a contact though. All industrial revolutions started small. Just a shame all these hardworking blokes are going to be without a job.

Ah, BTW, do you think a table size version would be able to lift a potato? Build and utube it my supreme engineering leader. We have so much to learn from you.

Hope I'm not being interpreted as an underling basher here

In reply to #66

02/06/2012 6:26 PM

That's a brilliant idea Ky

Use potatoes for the balls!

That way the one that is pushing the other 3 around and turning the turbine and compressing the springs - would slide and seal better.

And as potatoes are not much denser than water, the fluid could be helium and being lighter than air, atmospheric pressure would help lift the top spud!

It's just a matter of adding gravity valves to stop atmospheric pressure effecting the other side of the other 3 spuds.

In reply to #67

02/06/2012 6:45 PM

If they would cycle fast enough the heat of the friction could run a steam turbine (not a big one just 6500KW would do) and so even increase the efficiency further. The mash could be fermented and used as bio fuel. Oh, my bad, no need for that stuff ever again now that the Lee Cycle is with us.

Without Lee even boats will stand still

In reply to #68

02/06/2012 7:01 PM

More Brilliance Ky!

Vodka!

In reply to #69

02/06/2012 7:24 PM

Can I have one of these?

Counter Darwinian Trophy.

In reply to #70

02/06/2012 8:12 PM

Nice - and a quick search indicates you may have the only one - more of your work?

In reply to #71

02/06/2012 8:31 PM

Have I?

About the size of a watermelon, sort of my head size just not as square. Heavy mate, Heavy.

Vodka?

True story:

A biker walks into my bar (decades ago) and asks me for a vodka on ice. Done, including a slice of lemon. He yelled at me and said" If I wanted a vitamin drink I would have told you F....B...". I hated lemon tossing in my bar.

He was lefted

In reply to #72

02/06/2012 8:41 PM

Hey wait a minute that's not science or engineering

well maybe how not to get your arse kicked by a biker would be social science

crap that's not allowed either

Guru

In reply to #73

02/06/2012 8:52 PM

Just a nice death to a thread I'spose.

In reply to #73

02/06/2012 9:52 PM

Whoa! Garthh this is a science and engineering free thread.

And possibly a nice "Pub du jour"

Ooops

In reply to #77

BBTDJ

02/06/2012 10:34 PM

I'm conflicted

should I report you for having fun or myself for enjoying it

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #78

Re: BBTDJ

02/06/2012 10:39 PM

Why is everybody whispering?

Guru

In reply to #79

02/06/2012 10:51 PM

In reply to #79

02/06/2012 10:53 PM

& you thought following the links was confusing

Guru

In reply to #81

02/07/2012 12:57 AM

I'll remember were I was and what I was doing when this happened. +35C sitting on the veranda and free.

Whadya reccon, might have something to do with the year of the dragon. I'm one and with lots of water to spare. Who wants to play in a slippery bath for a while longer?

Savvy gotta do what she gotta do, same here. I'll miss my excursions though

In reply to #82

02/07/2012 1:04 AM

The caravan moves on just not like you think. Were there is shade there is light.

In reply to #82

02/07/2012 9:50 AM

"gotta do" is the operative phrase

mine would be

selective enforcement

the timing is suspect

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #84

02/07/2012 3:26 PM

I see OTT has been closed too.

Obviously not because of the number of "Off Topic posts" (the Bath 'main justification')

So it appears that it has nothing to do with the list of reasons, or the Board of GS.

It must just be threads where members interact non-technically doesn't fit the 'new vision'.

I wonder if Mark's Nature thread is next.

But on the actions so far, it looks safe to strike "meet new colleagues" off the reasons to be here.

In reply to #85

02/07/2012 3:38 PM

Tsk, Tsk now.

I, for one, still expect to see new people come here for help with technical stuff homework; requests to do their work for them, etc, and general discussion and advice.

(I finally got all the tools together to knock out my soap dish that I asked about 6 months ago. Still haven't taken my lumpy tire in for a check. I've decided it feels exactly like driving slowly down a cobblestone street with one side on smooth surface.)

We've had considerable dialogue with the pinwheel guy and the transmission guy and for my money that was mostly a waste of time, after the first interchange.

As I said before, this is the best site there is, and we are just guests here.

In reply to #86

02/07/2012 4:44 PM

Happy about the soap dish, sad about the tyre. But I heard you were banned from driving.

No, as conceived, by Chris Leonard I believe, we are a magnet for engineers needing advice and help in the hope that GS and the client listed products become their first source of specification and preferred suppliers. It worked. Every wise head on CR4 was clients in the bank.

CR4 became a great site as personal interaction (short of homicidal) was unfettered and the smart ones liked it and so hung around to watch the show and compete for 'best answer'.

In the last round of 'fetting' quite a few of the wisest dropped out. This "new image" may well see another exodus. Then CR4 becomes a 'dumb-stone' and other sectors such as the online conferencing, (again CL I believe) which is currently pulling 1000's per session, exert more 'pull' on the young and potential 'specifiers'.

I.e. This is why I have always objected to "anti-homework" attitude. If we want CR4 to stay alive, we have to 'out nurture' potential 'specifiers', not put them off GS forever.

Anyhow, how are your knuckles feeling after than wrap for failing to recommend the poster search GS?

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 423
In reply to #85

02/07/2012 5:08 PM

I PM'd Savvy this morning to voice my opinion that I thought it was a bad idea. My opinion doesn't really count for much................the decision had already been made. I guess there are other changes coming too. That's all I know.

In reply to #88

02/07/2012 6:24 PM

I guess there are other changes coming too. That's all I know.

That's about as much as anyone of us will ever know for sure. We are slaves to many rhythms, our life form is just one of them and then we come down with a virus. Funny that Virus: A Living Entity?

Lyn is accurate in saying that CR4 is the best there is. I mean I could be reading and writing on arts-blogs but I hate suffering and then dying of boredom. This department here has increased my knowledge about almost everything and still does, by the day.

CR$ GS recognized unnecessary friction and removes the source (no, not the culprits) of it. Just what any good mechanic would do. Pragmatic decision? Yes. The end of CR4? Not if I can't help it.

Savvy, (The Messenger) please relax now, it's all good. Just a storm in a tea cup.

, Ky

In reply to #89

02/07/2012 6:58 PM

the "un necessary" rained down from above, any intensity wasn't on the threads in question. BBT was not just closed but purged completely

on some of the other threads [such as this one] there is normal give & take among participants, mirroring the real world, with a bit more intensity, as one would expect of a venue lacking context

I'm glad to have this place, but we are the show, free is only true for the lurkers

an organization run by marketing & salespeople, would tend have certain priorities, which seem to be absent around the ol cr$wl

Why is that?

compare to the GS site

Guru

In reply to #72

02/06/2012 8:59 PM

I have the cousin of this one in my office. I'll send a pic tomorrow.

In reply to #75

02/06/2012 9:12 PM

That's possibly the one the smoking dog found because I never before published mine. Or did I? Yes please, would be interesting to see. Brass too? I have so much more work to do like finding a cheaper way to cast

In reply to #72

02/08/2012 10:00 AM

Mine stands about 5 feet tall.

I just remembered that I was supposed to do this on Monday.

Oh well, I put the garbage out this morning, thinking it was Friday.

In reply to #95

02/08/2012 3:18 PM

More later, Thursday, gotta bring the bins out

In reply to #96

02/08/2012 4:32 PM

You lads make sure you wear socks.

In reply to #95

02/08/2012 5:44 PM

Fantastic work Lyn. Liquifying rock and root is tedious and unforgiving. My compliments to the artist. Is there a sock over the bottom part or why is it not shown?

A pity we can't show these slowly rotating.

This one is now a candle holder and dust collector.

My better half decorated the other one and it is too girly to show here. After hundreds of hours of work it disapears amongst some Botticelli angles. I had my joy, so be it.

In reply to #105

02/08/2012 6:10 PM

Umm - if that "flower" was red, from this angle I see "Exploding Razorback".

Then again I do tend to see things

(and stop all this self off topic stuff people. Under the "New Vision", % OT is cited a reason to close threads)

In reply to #106

02/08/2012 6:48 PM

Don't you think this thread should be closed?

Guru

In reply to #107

02/08/2012 7:57 PM

closing threads requires subjective decisions to be made about what is relevant to the topic or even the site

is there really so little to do in Troy?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #107

02/08/2012 7:59 PM

Not at all - the world (and internet) is full of foolishness. Exposing it is our professional and civic duty. And deriving a bit of entertainment and social bonding, whilst doing so, is our 'payment' and the main reason people who do know hang around CR4.

And as you see, had it been closed - the revived technical Q&A would have been prevented. Or those who came to learn would be closed out too.

In reply to #113

02/08/2012 8:14 PM

Please tell me that I didn't right angles instead of angels.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 353
In reply to #114

02/08/2012 8:19 PM

... only did it twice, mate - could be worse .

In reply to #115

02/08/2012 8:49 PM

Just Karma for for the pain I wished on you in the socks department.

In reply to #106

02/08/2012 7:57 PM

You got it!

% OT? Just moving nothing with something. !00% on topic.

No Botticellies for you. Do you know the collective noun for angles? And what are the people from Perth called? Pertherians maybe, or Perthers or Perthites. You wont OT? Any day Mate, any day.

In reply to #112

02/08/2012 9:00 PM

Q1. geometry; adjective, Euclidean.

O2. sand gropers (citation)

Q3. is that "wont" as it 'whim, choice or habit' or 'want' as in desire, or 'won't' as in 'will not'?

Q4. insert 'face slap' emoticon?

In reply to #117

02/08/2012 9:10 PM

Tri-linguistictly challenged, what else do I deserve

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (18); Anonymous Poster (8); Doorman (9); English Rose (1); Garthh (19); Hilton (1); JohnDG (3); Just an Engineer (1); kramarat (1); ky (18); lyn (14); nick name (4); robin.muir (4); Ron (3); Russell Lee (14); SolarEagle (2); sue (1)

Previous in Forum: Rankine Cycle Question   Next in Forum: How to Decide Branch Connection Fittings