CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Effect of Less Percentage of Titanium in ASTM312 TP321   Next in Forum: QUE
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Participant

Can Super Glue be Used to Repair Dental Prosthetics?

02/10/2012 1:23 PM

My 5 month Puppy broke my dental appliance which fit in the bottom middle between the outer teeth (four teeth on the dental appliance) it was cracked in half and now I cannot wear it. Are there any warnings about the use of super glue ingredients that might put me at risk having used this bonding material in the mouth, ie., dangerous chemicals in product itself having a negative result on health? Any person having used this material for temporary partials that broke and were made of resin and have had any success/failures or harmful reactions in doing so, your input and experience with the same would be much appreciated. Thanks! smiley?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: super glue and dental repairs super glue to fix dental prosthetics super glue vs. intelligence to fix prosthetics
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

Re: Can super glue be used to repair dental prosthetics?

02/10/2012 1:31 PM

I have successfully used it on open wounds instead of stitches with no ill effect. I do not know about orally but if it can go in an open wound I personally would use it.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 446
In reply to #1

02/10/2012 1:40 PM

Me too. It should be harmless once it's dry. I can't guarantee anything though.

I once had a temporary filling come out and I still had a couple more days until I went back to the dentist.......................I dried it out with a hair dryer and filled the tooth with quick set epoxy.

Anonymous Poster #1

02/10/2012 1:37 PM

Years ago a similar thing happened to me during a business trip! Luckily the hotel had a gift shop and sold small tubes of superglue, and I was able to fix the problem before a meeting with some customers. I went to the dentist and got the thing replaced as soon as I got back home.

Superglue is sometimes used by surgeons instead of stitches. I think it's an OK temporary fix.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 227
In reply to #2

02/10/2012 2:14 PM

Though the glue use in surgery is a cyanoacrylate it is not the same as the super glue you or I buy of the shelf. Medical super glues are octylcyanoacrylates. Super glue is a ethylcyanoacrylates or methlycyanoacrylates they can break down in the body in to toxins.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1096

02/10/2012 1:44 PM

Years ago I repaired my wife's bridge with super glue. One of the feeth popped out. This was back before all the more pure acrylic adhesives were aailable. It worked well and lasted for 6 months, as I recall.

If you do this, be sure all unreacted acrylic monomer and catalyst are removed and the adhesive is well cured.

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

02/10/2012 1:59 PM

I have also used super glue as a temporary fix for my one unit bridge with no ill effects.

As has already been mentioned, make sure the glue is completely set up before insertion.

If you have further concerns regarding chemicals, do a Google search of "Super Glue Ingredients" and decide for yourself.

Smile

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 227

02/10/2012 2:01 PM

Not knowing what plastics the dentures are made of I wouldn't recommend it. Some plastic do not bond well with super glues. Example would be the bottle it's in and the cap seal. You may also do more harm then good when you have to take them to get properly repaired. Here again not knowing the composition of the plastic in solvents in the glue may break it down. The repair may just be temporary even if you do. Moisture and enzymes in you saliva may break it down over time. Shear forces in chewing may cause it to break again while in your mouth. I wouldn't chance the possibility damage to the inside of my mouth or choking on a broken piece . Take them and have them properly repaired

Guru

Good Answers: 523

Re: Can Super Glue be Used to Repair Dental Prosthetics?

02/10/2012 2:49 PM

"Many denture patients try their hand at home style repair work using the popular super or crazy glue products that are available everywhere.

Although quite handy for a repair, these industrial grade cement products could potentially cause toxins to enter the blood stream and may also cause unusual allergic reactions."
http://www.dental--health.com/super_glue_repair.html
"

Smart Repairs

A prudent measure for using a spur of the moment repair solution is to have a few denture repair supplies handy. Since some glue products could be incompatible with the different types of acrylic formulations use in popular denture and partial prosthetics, using a proven repair product can make good economic sense. Two popular products are listed below that are commonly available through internet resources and large drug stores or pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS.

• Den-Temp Denture Repair KitThis patented kit comes with professional replacement teeth.

Contains 6 upper and 6 lower replacement teeth, so you can easily repair broken dentures.

Also includes professional denture acrylic resins, bonding adhesive, eye dropper and sanding abrasive.

Cost? About $20.00

• Den-Sure Denture Repair KitFDA compliant product to fix breaks, mend cracks and replace loose teeth.

For Acrylic dentures only. Safe and easy-to-use, anyplace. For emergency repair only.

Long term use of an improperly repaired denture may cause serious problems.

Patients are advised to consult with their dentist as soon as possible.

Cost? About $6.00"

http://www.dental--health.com/denture_partial_repair.html

In reply to #8

02/11/2012 11:10 PM

I want to thank you so very much for your help! I purchased the D.O.C. and it worked great! You saved me not only a possible seriously potential medical problem as well as money and time. Thank you again and I really appreciate the help! Coming to this site has been a great experience and I will continue to seek questions from intelligent people like you who contribute to what it's intended! Gratefully yours.......Birdie!

P.S. There really wasn't any bad advise.....we just all have different ways

of doing things! This however was the best answer of all!!! Thanks everyone who contributed!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #12

02/12/2012 6:09 AM

Did the correct repair system have an olfactory signature?

Good Answers: 3

02/11/2012 12:20 AM

Loc-tite makes a line of Medical adhesives used mostly in building of medical devices, often used in body and blood contact. Contact a local Loc-tite distributor who stores these materials properly.

These are not the adhesives used to close wounds.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21

02/11/2012 8:22 AM

Lots of good replies, (super glue) sometimes in moist conditions will weaken. Another so called super glue is Gorilla Glue.. I have used it with amazing results but check the MSDS sheets no matter what you use.

Good Answers: 3

02/11/2012 10:22 AM

Years ago a friend of mines wife broke a crown off one of her front teeth,I had some Dev-con instant glue and used that to reattach the tooth and it was still good 10 years later,No discolouration & invisible to boot.

Bazzer

03/05/2012 4:36 AM

My procedure is to rinse the dirt off the wound and then apply cayenne powder directly to the laceration. This has the effect of stopping the bleeding incredibly quickly. (I have no idea how well this would or wouldn't work for arterial bleeding.) It is also said to offer some anti bacterial properties. Krazy Glue KraxAfter that, I will treat it with a natural herbal cream, aloe, or whatever, and bandage it up.Not too long ago, we had visitors and someone got cut on their leg in the kitchen and just couldn't get the bleding stopped. We were getting blood everywhere. Not pretty. I went to the closet, got out the cayenne, sprinkled it on, and presto, back to serving company and cleaning the blood off the kitchen floor.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bazzer Englander (1); birdielived (1); harley (1); Jehnavi (1); KJK/USA (1); kramarat (1); lyn (1); Not too Smart (1); ozzb (2); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Effect of Less Percentage of Titanium in ASTM312 TP321   Next in Forum: QUE

Advertisement