CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Level Measurement   Next in Forum: What is Superimposing?
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

4 comments
Active Contributor

Level Calculation

02/26/2012 12:16 AM

please explain me displacer level calculation formula? what is the formula of displacer level transmitter. thnk you

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 541

Re: level calculation

02/26/2012 1:00 AM
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: level calculation

02/26/2012 2:18 AM

P=ρgh

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II -

Good Answers: 46

Re: Level Calculation

02/26/2012 2:25 PM

In answer to this and your previous question: a float is a device that floats on top of the liquid, while a displacer is a device that is too heavy to float, and experiences a buoyant force that varies with the liquid level. Float sensors are often (but not always) connected to a cable and reel system for mechanically sensing the liquid level:

Displacer instruments often use a spring-steel tube called a "torque tube" to couple the slight motion of the displacer to a mechanism outside the pressurized cage where the displacer resides:

The most important difference to recognize is that floats sit on the top of the liquid, and so move with the liquid as it changes height. Displacers merely experience different amounts of upward force as they become more or less submerged by the rising and falling liquid -- the displacer element itself does not actually float on the liquid, and in fact does not move much at all.

Displacers operate on Archimedes' Principle, which states that the buoyant force experienced by any object is equal to the weight of the liquid it displaces. Therefore,

(Buoyant force) = (weight density of liquid) * (volume of displacer submerged)

Based on this and previous posts, I'm guessing you could use a general reference on instrumentation to explain how various instruments work and the principles of operation for them. You might find this book helpful in your studies:

http://www.openbookproject.net/books/socratic/sinst/book/liii.pdf

Another set of references are these worksheets which I use to teach level-measurement instrumentation at Bellingham Technical College:

http://www.openbookproject.net/books/socratic/sinst/output/INST240_sec3.pdf

http://www.openbookproject.net/books/socratic/sinst/output/INST240_sec4.pdf

You may also find this document helpful -- it's a worksheet of practice problems I give to my students so they may practice performing calculations on hydrostatic and displacer level-sensing instruments:

http://www.openbookproject.net/books/socratic/sinst/output/level.pdf

In reply to #3

Re: Level Calculation

02/26/2012 7:11 PM

thank a lot sir

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); resh_cop11 (1); SolarEagle (1); tonykuphaldt (1)

Previous in Forum: Level Measurement   Next in Forum: What is Superimposing?

Advertisement