Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: ESR Calculation of Capacitor   Next in Forum: What Will Be the O/p of PID and Its Parameters
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

3 comments
Active Contributor

Data Logging on PC from HART Supported Devices

02/29/2012 4:56 AM

Hi,

we have 11 Mass Flowmeters from Krohne and 9 from KOBOLD and both uses HART Protocol to communicate.

I want to maintain a data log on a PC from all 20 meters. I found that one achieve it by just installing a HART Multiplexer and PACTWARE on PC. But the problem is that KOBOLD devices support Siemens PDM only. How can I integrate all 20 meters on a single PC?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Re: Data Logging on PC from HART Supported Devices

02/29/2012 6:45 AM

Hi all I would suggest consult your vendor provider. Regard

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118

03/01/2012 1:50 PM

Each Vendor's Pactware is modified by the vendor. The vendor who supplies Pactware software determines how it handles brands other than its own brand. Sometimes a license has to be purchased to do anything other than the generic HART instructions.

I was unaware that Pactware could datalog. If so, the datalogging function in Pactware might require licensing for brands other than the vendor's brand of HART instruments.

If you want to use Pactware, you need to inquire of the Pactware vendor as to the feasability of getting Kobold instruments to datalog with Pactware.

Datalogging is what HMI software does, products like Wonderware, iFix, Indusoft, Citect, WinCC, etc. or whoever's control hardware you use (all control vendors have their own HMI software).

HMI software fetches data from the controller(s) you have the flowmeters connected to via industrial protocols like Modbus, Profibus or OPC. I'm not sure that any of the HMI's uses HART from HART multiplexors, but you can ask if you go down this route.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 84

03/02/2012 8:49 PM

Sir,

If your problem resolves itself into a communications protocol mis-match, there are vendors of protocol converters that can have up to 4 ports all talking different protocols at different speeds. One I have used in the past is Miille in Houston TX. --JMM

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Iris (1); jmueller (1); ronron (1)

Previous in Forum: ESR Calculation of Capacitor   Next in Forum: What Will Be the O/p of PID and Its Parameters