CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Hardness Before And After Welding   Next in Forum: Weld Overlap Reference in Code
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

15 comments
Associate

Welding, NDT, Ultrasonic Testing

03/25/2012 12:13 AM

a shell of dia 500 mm and 2500 mmlong is made of 5mm stainless steel sheet .the shell is made with with welding on circumference and longitudnal welding .to examine the weld area with ultrasonic testing which type of reference block and frequency probe is suitable for the to detect the flaw if acceptance norms are no cracks lop and lof are permited and the quaality level is A

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: butt welding ultrasonic testing
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1099

Re: welding ,ndt,ultrasonic testing,

03/25/2012 9:09 AM

The answers aren't in the back of the text book??

This sounds like a test question.

Good Luck.

In reply to #1

03/26/2012 12:40 AM

Hi Lyn;

What text book? I didn't know that anyone was offering a training course about welding, ndt, and ultrasonic testing here on the internet, that is my job if training is to be involved! I'm ok with this being interactive and all but with limited information provided no one is going to learn very much about any part of this as you have already said! Godspeed!

Professor Lowell A Morton

Administrator for Virtual Universities

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #4

03/26/2012 1:09 AM

The Op does not cite a problem in the context of "I am having a problem with..............and I need help to solve it.

It sounds more like a test question.

I'm a skeptic, what can I say.

I'll defer to you from here on out.

In reply to #1

03/26/2012 1:38 AM

Hi Lyn; Are you the designated testing foreman? Or are we just having fun with this one?? All questions and still no answers yet? Guess I'll wait and see if anyone else wants to take this no book test? Maybe someone has a book??!

That would be very good luck if they did?!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Re: Welding, NDT, Ultrasonic Testing

03/25/2012 11:38 PM

Are you looking to purchase known hardware, or to request someone to design ultrasonic testing hardware that would be capable of solving your specific critical analysis for your type A required production of these shell casings for you? Your statement was ambiguous and unclear as to it's specified desired result? Please restate your three part title summary into the three separate parts as they are listed in your title heading and then please describe each one in detail in order that who ever answers this again can and will be able to understand what it is that you are seeking here. I am certain, and there is no doubt that it is intuitively obvious to you but we don't have a clue as to which and what it is from what you have told us so far! I am seeking way much more input from you please! I may have someone who might be able to assist you in these areas of expertise but you will have to be much more elaborate in your technical presentation/s to me from here on out accordingly.

Professor Lowell A Morton

Administrator for Virtual Unviersities

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

03/25/2012 11:50 PM

Hi Lowell,

Welcome to CR4.

One of the major problems of such a forum is the lack of information provided by the OP.(original poster)

It's like playing 20 questions.

Hang around, but be warned, it can be addictive.

Good Answers: 1

03/26/2012 2:23 AM

See Ultrasonic Tests (UT) Standard;SAE-AMS-2154 . You have to reconsider using this test-as it is not recommended for such thin sheets . Professionally used is;Magnetic Particle Inspection,acc. to: ASTM-E1444 (you have to choose Test Severity Level,acc. to: SAE-AMS-2301)

I hope that the "Quality Level=A",is based acc. to above mentioned UT Standard,as so you should know that impurities/pinholes (etc.) size of;5/64" dia-single discontinuity - is allowed !!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

03/26/2012 3:03 AM

Hi Jacob;

I quite agree with you! Seems like that if this process that is suggested here is quite critical which I imagine it to be from it's listed description, that the success with ultrasonic testing would probably not be sufficient or adequate. Magnifluxing the stainless is a lot better solution and would be a more accurate system for such inspection from my point of view also. The only other possibility that occurs to me is using an electron microscope, but it's viewing chamber would require use of an oil diffusion pump to evacuate it which would take time, so that time for each examination of the proposed work could prove to be excessive, making that totally impractical if production line timetables were involved. Godspeed!

Lowell

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #8

03/26/2012 3:29 AM

Dear Mr Lowell Morton

The problem with this kind of Inspections -is 100% weld testing required !! (is it really required ?) , as so the Electron Microscope - is inadequate. There ara a lot of

companies testing on site such weldings ,using also radiation equipment on spot!

Suggest to approach such company in your vicinity.

Best Regards

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #9

03/26/2012 10:06 AM

Hi Mr Jacob Klepatch;

The originator of the topic would need to speak to whether it was economically feasable or not for the specific application. Since we are not in the space race anylonger and lots of international industry is currently winding down in response to the downturn in the economy, I am certain that the originator would look more than twice at all such exotic solutions. Infrequently there exist breakthrough applications which would warrant the use of such solutions. From examining the topics description, I believe it possible that the originator was just looking into the development of production line testing method for quality control inspection for large numbers of casings, and was considering ultrasonics as one option. Again, we need lots more information and we don't have the text book so we can't look in the back, because it was probably just a test question as was already suggested, right? Godspeed!

Lowell

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #10

03/27/2012 1:24 AM

Dear Mr Morton

If they still need some info,(regarding ndt test)-there is also thermal tests with quite simple devices to use in mass production (is it?)

Please contact - if in need of AM Device standards

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

03/27/2012 3:14 AM

Dear Mr Jacob Klepatch;

I have a very good friend who has built some very specialized equipment custom welded from stainless steel! In his world of metal it is an art to do what he does. I am certain that if our topic man should ever contact anyone in this roundtable back concerning defining his needs that I could refer him to my friend who would be pleased to quite capably assist him with his proposed project. Our topic man is conspicuous by his absence. I see no value in persuing this further without any additional input accordingly! Thanks much for offering your valued suggestions.

Lowell Morton

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #13

05/10/2012 2:28 AM

Dear Mr Morton

-Of course you are right !! I hope that the OP is satisfied / disappeared....

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #7

05/09/2012 7:19 AM

Jacob, MT for SS. The Op don´t say what kind of SS is. But for an austenitic steel........

Why not RT?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

03/26/2012 10:49 AM

In full agreement with lyn & Lowell , the O.P. needs to provide considerable more insight to the scenario.

To my knowledge, eddy current is the method most favored for SS tubing, tho' UT or radiography can certainly be employed (with appropriate Procedure having been established).

I agree, it sounds as though 'moonlight' is in need of assistance in formulating an inspection specification/procedure. Thus, it would help to know the exact GRADE of SS ... the weld specification ... the end use (pressure/environment, etc). Is this a "one-off" fabricated article? Or, will there be a need to inspect 'so-many' per day, week, year, etc?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

drmorton (6); Jacob Klepatch (4); lyn (3); ndt-tom (1); Whitephone (1)

Previous in Forum: Hardness Before And After Welding   Next in Forum: Weld Overlap Reference in Code

Advertisement