CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Construction Punch Reporting   Next in Forum: Manipulating Values of LabView User Controls
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Anti Virus for Trojan Horse Virus

04/01/2012 6:24 AM

My PC is infected by Trojan Horse virus. I tried to get rid with AVG anti virus but one file is still inflicted. Can any one software wizard suggest me anti virus to get rid of this virus.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 84

Re: Anti Virus for Trojan Horse Virus

04/01/2012 7:43 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #1

04/02/2012 5:59 AM

Thanks to all for suggestions. I tried Webroot, it could not get rid of the following virus:-

Trojan horse crypt AQLW.

I do not know how to get rid of it.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #9

04/02/2012 8:05 AM

Contact WebRoot and see if they have a Virus definition for your encountered Trojan. It's quite possible that this is a brand new Trojan. They may be also developing the software to detect and eliminate this Trojan as we speak.

Good Answers: 88

04/01/2012 8:19 AM

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

I've had good results with these but depending on which virus you have they may not work.

Back up your important data (NOT executables or system files) first.

Worst case scenario is you have to reformat your drive(s) and reinstall the OS and all applications (major PITA). Make sure you have all your important data files backed up to an external drive first.

Good luck.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

04/01/2012 10:21 AM

I use WebRoot for my Anti-virus/trojan/malware/firewall software. I dumped my old ineffective McAfree AV for it. And before that, I had AVG which I found was totally useless.

BTW, PC Magazine rated WebRoot #1 in it's January 2012 edition. It'll cost you $96 USD to buy it and download it. They also mail you a CD just in case you need to reload it.

Good luck with that Trojan!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56
In reply to #3

04/01/2012 12:17 PM

You're killing me Capt. I have Kapersky Anti-Virus, is that the same as AVG? $96 a year is just too much, I have three computers to protect!

Any other recommendations?

In reply to #4

04/01/2012 12:29 PM

I think that WebRoot will allow you to install on as many computers as you want.....but I may be wrong on this. With 3 computers that comes to $32 per PC.

Check out their site.

I do not think the Krapersky is the same as AVG...different companies altogether.

04/01/2012 12:33 PM

Oppps my bad...it's actually $39.95, not $96! I don't know what I was thinking...

Anyhow, here's the link to the PC Magazine article rating the 2012 AV software bundles:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56
In reply to #6

04/01/2012 2:12 PM

Thanks, Capt., I saved the site for when my Kapersky expires. It seems like a better product at a fair price.

In reply to #7

04/01/2012 8:24 PM

You're very welcome mike! I hope it works out for you.

In reply to #8

04/06/2012 9:50 AM

I have been a Computer Tech for 25 years and the FREE AVG and Microsoft Essenials accompanied with CCleaner has protected my Clients. FREE is a Great price. you can call 239-600-3111

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

04/06/2012 10:54 AM

But the old adage may apply: "You get what you paid for".

"Free" may work in some cases, but rarely IMO nails every intruder....

I got rid of AVG a year ago because the software developer was slow getting out new Virus Definitions. The software was always missing some new intrusions and in fact wiped out my hard drive. I lost EVERYTHING! the worst part of it all was that I lost a whole bunch of Civil & Structural Engineering programs worth about $30k + my Doctoral Thesis!!! I had to start from scratch, which was areal bitch because I failed (in hindsight) to back-up everything.

Good Answers: 40

04/06/2012 3:28 PM

This other forum seems to cover a lot of the problems associated with this rootkit/trojan:

http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=196355

Like others have said, you get what you pay for...consider that for the value of the advice on this forum

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #13

04/07/2012 9:13 AM

tHANK yOU // ACTUAL REPORT ///////////////I downloaded the Rootkit Buster onto a USB stick using another computer and then pasted it onto my infected desktop and ran it from there as it just wasn't working when i tried to download and run directly from the infected PC. This killed it stone dead. A couple of scans with AVG later which mopped up the rest of the nasties and everything seems to be ok. I'll send the log reports AVG shortly to check everything is ok.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (6); cuba_pete (1); europium (1); mike k (2); saveone12 (2); stevem (1); suresh sharma (1)

Previous in Forum: Construction Punch Reporting   Next in Forum: Manipulating Values of LabView User Controls

Advertisement