Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Brazing Pinhole Reasons   Next in Forum: The Black Hole War Part 2
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Associate

[Aeroacoustics] People With Similar Voice

04/09/2012 9:47 PM

If two people have similar voice, then can we deduce that both of them are having almost the same geometry in their vocal tract (same size, same volume), same frequecy for vocal fold, and also for the vortical structure that produced?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 145

Re: [Aeroacoustics] People with similar voice

04/09/2012 9:54 PM

Ever heard someone who can do impeccable vocal impressions of several other people? Do you think they only do impressions of a group who happen to share 'almost the same geometry in their vocal tract'?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Netherlands - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

Good Answers: 37

04/09/2012 10:07 PM

several factors come to mind, a persons built, constitution, weight etcetera do all influence the voice, also like truth..... said, the human vocal tract is not like an instrument but consists of many muscles to modify the sound. but i guess you mean the base voice.

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1004

04/09/2012 10:19 PM

How do you mean similar? To your ears? To an analyzer?

Sound at the surface of the vocal cord, or sound as it exits the lips, which has already been altered by the many surfaces it contacts and reflects from are very different.

Noise is very complex. The waves emanating from the throat of the speaker are instantly altered by the acoustic environment.

What's the real question here?

Do you understand acoustics?

Good Answers: 105

04/09/2012 10:43 PM

No. All that you can deduce is that they are able to produce similar sounds.

I think of those who produce realistic sounds of guns firing, I've heard several people do similar impersonations of war, of trains, of automobiles....

Good Answers: 62

Re: [Aeroacoustics] People With Similar Voice

04/10/2012 7:38 AM

They may be able to reproduce a phoneme identically, but that's about it. A big part of voice production is in your brain, not at your cords. S.M.

04/10/2012 11:53 AM

Am I right to say that people who produce similar voice do have similarity in certain way even though maybe it is not necessary for them to possess same glottal geometry, volume or so on. But, I believe that there is reason in the phonation process which leads to similar voice. Maybe glottal geometry, volume or others that I mentioned may not be the important parameters. Dunno who has ever researched about the aeroacoustics of phonation? Including the vortical structures produced starting from vocal fold until they are puffed out from the mouth after being resonated in nose and mouth, the Coanda effect at the leading and trailing edge of the vocal fold and so on. Dunno who has ever did the numerical simulation of aeroacoustics phonation inside the larynx before? Do comment and give ideas for the reasons of the similarity.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 3

04/10/2012 3:32 PM

it might be just a state of mind. i've noticed that people's voices change with there mood. i think the larynx is tied into stress factors.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 46

04/11/2012 6:20 AM

I would say yes, the same relaxed shape. I currently know two people whose voices sound almost identical. Voice impersonators can modify this shape to mimic others' voices. I wonder how you could learn to do this without a recorder since your own voice sounds vastly different through the bones in the head.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cxcxcx0505 (1); durtieduck (1); Epke (1); lyn (1); passingtongreen (1); Rixter (1); SimpleMind (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Brazing Pinhole Reasons   Next in Forum: The Black Hole War Part 2