CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Access Internal ROM in Atmel 89C51?   Next in Forum: CCTV in Cable TV
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Kenya - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 6

WiFi User's Unique Network Key

04/14/2012 1:24 PM

Hello,

I have been fiddling with the installation and configuring software in the CD Rom that came with my wireless router. My goal is to find a way of assigning unique network keys for EACH of the computers connected to my wifi. My router is a Netgear N300 WNR2000v2.

The closest I have got to this is viewing all devices (including wireless printers and smart phones) listed by their IP address. The problem is that there is no way of assigning unit network keys for each device. Changing network settings from secured to unsecured implements the change across the board.

Do I have to somehow "hack" into the router's administative control software to do this or is there a product out there that can do this?

Internet searches and inquiries from "experts" have so far been unfruitful.

Thanks folks.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584

Re: WiFi User's Unique Network Key

04/14/2012 3:48 PM

Have you contacted Netgear? You maybe looking for a feature that they don't support.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Kenya - Member - New Member

In reply to #1

04/14/2012 4:15 PM

Precisely. They do not support this feature. All they offer is the ability to view users but no control over user network keys.

I am attempting to set up a wireless access point in Nairobi (dense population ravenous for the Internet) at a fair price. I have checked with the DSL provider about maximum bandwith and it appears one router can conservatively serve ~15 PC's or ~30 smart phones in regular use.

The only hurdle is the ability to renew individual network keys monthly to serve a monthly pre-pay system.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584
In reply to #2

04/14/2012 5:25 PM

Ahem, then it sounds like you have purchased the wrong hardware for what you want to do.

In reply to #3

04/15/2012 3:44 PM

What I need is a server.

Now I know!

Good Answers: 148

04/14/2012 8:41 PM

You don't have to assign anything, as most computer/peripheral equipment already have a "unique" address.

I use the MAC address to police the users on my wifi hub. I run my hub open with a hidden ssid and a list of MAC addresses that are allowed to access the hub.

I had to do this due to the variety of operating systems(Linux/win 2k/win7/ and whatever the f*ck an apple imac uses) and puters/tablets & Ifreaking phones in use.

It also ensures that warchalking wonks won't impact on my interweb usage.

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #4

04/15/2012 1:54 AM

Yup. Even consumer-class routers can restrict wireless access to specific MAC addresses. If someone quits the service, just remove their MAC address from the list. Check your User Guide. And don't forget to change the administrator user name, and to use a strong password.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #6

04/15/2012 4:16 PM

Yup. Even consumer-class routers can restrict wireless access to specific MAC addresses.

This is what I thought my cheap Netgear router could do but it turned out to be incapable. This router is set up to be either secured or unsecured (without or with network key required to connect.) Coupled with the ability to view ID's of connected devices, this administrative sytem enables management by simply changing the network key and sharing it with only those you allow into your network.

This is insufficient for my business model because subscribers can simply share the network key among each other to avoid paying. Even if the router allows for removal of unwanted ISP/MAC addresses, I will have to continuously police the traffic. I'm a tech entrepreneur not a cop.

I am actively pursuing set-up with a sever for the kind of control I require: individual network keys that ONLY work for an individual ISP/MAC address.

In reply to #4

04/15/2012 4:40 PM

You don't have to assign anything, as most computer/peripheral equipment already have a "unique" address.

What I mean by "assigning unique network keys" is assigning a password that can only be used by a single PC. Not naming as the ISP/MAC address already serves this purpose.

Perharps I carelessly used "network key" which is synonymous with "password."

Associate

Good Answers: 1

04/14/2012 11:19 PM

There is an open source router firmware called DD-WRT. it doesnt support multiple inique passkeys per ssid but it does support multiple ssid's each with their own unique passkey. it may or may not support you router. i know that the buffalo whr-hp-g300n comes stock with firmware and has this capability. hope this helps.

04/15/2012 3:54 AM

I believe that what you are trying is impossible. Access for hotspots is controlled by a server, not the router itself. I would suggest you have a look at http://www.hotspotsystem.com (I have no association with this company) or I'm sure there are others out there. Hope this helps

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 25

04/15/2012 2:28 PM

I have to agree with 3Phase. You need a server. It does not have to be an enterprise class machine. A Pentium 4 with 2G memory, 80G hard drive and two network cards would get you started. I personally have no use for the cd that comes with a router, since the routers configuration is done through the http server in the router and accessible with a web browser.

I use Zentyal based on Ubuntu (cause it's free, the subscription is optional). Check out Captive Portal. It will handle your user's authentication. You can add additional features such as an HTTP proxy and DNS caching to speed up your users web browsing and save some bandwidth to your internet service provider (ISP). Zentyal will also handle load balancing and fail-over (with three ethernet adapters) if you decide to add another connection to your ISP to serve more customers.

Such a system would not be expensive and would give you complete control of your network. The configuration is graphical and intuitive. You select the features you want to run on the server. There are many to choose from so you can start with a simple gateway with DHCP for testing and add components till your heart's content and your network is secure. It will also give you the advantage of having log files you can review so you know what's happening on your network.

You will still use your wireless router but it's function would simply be a wireless access point. The server would handle everything else.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #8

04/15/2012 3:43 PM

And the clouds parted and finally there was light...

The router is just an antenna while the server is the brains that will allow IP/MAC address accessibility control.

GA from me. Thanks for the details

04/17/2012 7:44 AM

Just try to open the gatesway or the network site of the netgear as the administration of the internet network.As your using a cdrom installer to configure your wifi try to put the default IP of your router to the address bar and hit enter key and the browser will as you to enter the username and password to open your account as the administrator and try to configure inside

03/12/2013 6:36 AM

Almost a year later, here I am in Africa with this screen up:

Thanks folks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

3PhaseDesign-Craig (1); Barchetta (1); bett4haze (6); bubbapebi (1); garyboyce (1); greencomval (1); redfred (2); Tobugrynbak (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Access Internal ROM in Atmel 89C51?   Next in Forum: CCTV in Cable TV

Advertisement