CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Directional Sensitive Earth Fault   Next in Forum: Medium Voltage Off Circuit Isolator
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

14 comments
Participant

Overheating of Induction Motor

04/17/2012 2:36 PM

dear all,,

I need your idea, I have 6 motors, each motor is 5hp, 440-480v 60hz in 1 machine.. this 4 motors are connected to the frequency inverter and i check the output voltage for this inverter is 480vac and the hz setting is 60hz. and the other 2 motors are connected direct to line 480Vac which is getting high temperature. why this 2 motors are getting high temperature?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 558

Re: overheating of induction motor

04/17/2012 3:28 PM

So the ones that are NOT connected to the VFDs are the ones that are getting hot?

In reply to #1

04/18/2012 1:17 PM

yes,,the two motors that are not connected to VFD are getting high. why this two motors which is not connected to the VFD are getting high temperature compare to the 4 motors which is connected to the VFD? this all motors are same rated in the nameplate and same load also.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 607

04/17/2012 4:27 PM

It may be that the two direct-connected motors have a higher mechanical load than the four VFD-driven ones. Can you tell if the two motors are simply hotter than the others, versus actually hot enough to worry about damage?

Good Answers: 9

04/17/2012 10:33 PM

check if your motor connections matches the nameplate voltage, possibly it may be in delta instead of star vice versa.

Register to Reply
Commentator
India - Member - Proud to be INDIAN Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

04/18/2012 12:20 AM

Check What is the load connected to these 2 motors. High temperature means how much?

In reply to #4

04/18/2012 1:30 PM

The load of this 2 motors are same to the 4 motors which is connected to the VFD. And base in the nameplate the maximum temperature of this 2 motors is 40 degrees centigrade. And now the actual temperature of this 2 motors is 50.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

04/18/2012 2:17 PM

If I had to guess (and I do have to because I am not there), I'd say that you likely have a voltage imbalance on your incoming supply lines and the VFD couldn't care less because all it does is rectify it to DC. So because the VFD is recreating its own new output to the motors, it is balanced. But the motors NOT connected to the VFD are going to be affected by a voltage imbalance. Even a small imbalance or 1 or 2% causes unnecessary heating in AC motors.

Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - Rig Electrician United States - Member - the Oil Patch Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Drives & Gen's Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Drive Control Popular Science - Cosmology -

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #8

04/18/2012 5:49 PM

I'll bet a GA to you that's that problem lumberjack man, hope the OP gets back on it

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 607
In reply to #7

04/18/2012 4:23 PM

I suspect your terminology is incorrect. Motors are more often rated for temperature rise above ambient, rather than an absolute limit like 40°C (104°F), which is not very hot at all.

In reply to #9

04/18/2012 6:05 PM

Good catch, I missed that detail in his post. Common misconception too. I get a lot of people aiming their new IR gun toys at motors and saying "It's too hot!" when in fact it's way under the maximum temperature rise.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #11

04/19/2012 1:05 AM

Thank you, its good to know that.I guess you will need fans on motors even if the ambient temperature is below 0 deg. C.

Register to Reply
Commentator
India - Member - Proud to be INDIAN Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

04/20/2012 12:21 AM

How come 40 deg centigrade and 50 deg centigrade are high temperatures??? Its ambient temperature and motors have to function normal at these temperatures.

And as for my knowledge, the supply frequency from direct line may be greater than 60 Hz. (say +5%). This frequency rise can increase hysteresis loss and eddy current loss in the motor which can rise the temperature of motor.

sharath

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 591

04/18/2012 3:03 AM

Check the trip setting of the overload protection device in each motor circuit and make sure that the full-load-current rating on the motor data plate is not exceeded by the trip setting.

Good Answers: 5

Re: Overheating of Induction Motor

04/19/2012 12:23 AM

Do a Megger test on all 4 motors.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

eltech (2); jessie (2); JRaef (3); kwcharlie (1); pnaban (1); PWSlack (1); sharath4 (2); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Directional Sensitive Earth Fault   Next in Forum: Medium Voltage Off Circuit Isolator

Advertisement