CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Anti-Seismic System Placed in a Shaft of a Load-Bearing Structure   Next in Forum: Intersection Design - Bypass or Stoplight
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

8 comments
Active Contributor

Shuttering Release Oil

04/19/2012 5:50 AM

What is a cheap shuttering release oil for the inside of a concrete clean water tank ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: concrete release oil shuttering
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 143

Re: Shuttering Release Oil

04/19/2012 10:05 AM

I've never heard of your term "shuttering release oil"before and I've been in the engineering biz 35 years.

Perhaps you mean a form release agent? These agents are manufactured by a great many companies worldwide.

I'm assuming that you are constructing concrete water storage reservoirs/tanks and standpipes, and that you need to find a product that will not contaminate the potable water later on when the tank is in service (ie, meaning you are trying to comply with AWWA/ANSI Standard 61 or a similar standard, depending on the country you are in)?

We need more information supplied by you in order to give you some sound advice.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 223
In reply to #1

04/19/2012 1:30 PM

I can remember my grandfather (Civil engineer, and construction foreman for PKS) using the term. The vertical formwork for concrete walls was sometimes known as shuttering. I can't remember anyone using the word shuttering except him.

Here is someone who still uses the phrase.

I never considered this... aren't concrete tanks lined after curing and washing?

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #2

04/19/2012 6:05 PM

Generally (here in the USA using AWWA Standards) all that is required is power washing of the entire concrete tank interior with heavily chlorinated water (>50 mg/L free chlorine residual) and then the tank is flooded with chlorinated water (>25 mg/L CR) for no less than 24 hours. Residual CL testing and BacT testing is then performed at the end of the test.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member, but planning to be an Old Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 56 Year Member

Good Answers: 223
In reply to #4

04/19/2012 6:17 PM

Okay.

Well, when you do concrete tanks do you specify some special form release oil to be used? It sounds like, if some care is taken in selection of form release oil, a good wash/rinse/chlorinate takes care of it.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 56

04/19/2012 4:38 PM

Maybe he's looking for a release agent for the plywood form, so it doesn't stick to the concrete.

I thought waste oil was ok for that. It should soak into the plywood, and not contaminate the concrete too much. A good pressure washing with some detergent should remove any oil that sticks to the concrete.

In reply to #3

04/19/2012 6:09 PM

No, here in the USA waste oils and other petro-based release agents cannot be used as form release agents if the tank is to be in water works service, ie, holding potable water meant for human consumption......all release agents must conform to NSF/ANSI Standard 61.

Oil, etc. will contaminate the potable water.

04/20/2012 2:20 AM

Right .

Some confusion here. I am in africa. This is a concrete potable water tank. Shuttering is the term we English use for formwork. If you use goggle you will find the term is in common usage.

In this case it is wood. We dont want the wood to stick to the concrete. We use oil. We use used engine oil for the outside shuttering, and the general usage is vegetable oil for the inner shuttering. Vegtable oil used or new is a problem and very expensive here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a viable alternative ?

Register to Reply
Guru

04/20/2012 8:56 AM

Here is a link for a Concrete Form Release Agent that has been tested and certified to be in compliance with NSF/ANSI Standard 61:

www.daytonsuperior.com/Artifacts/Clean_Strip_J1EF.pdf

It is one of many products available on the market. I've seen this product used on many water treatment plants and tanks where there is concrete in contact with raw water (intended for later treatment & human consumption) and potable water.

To find other similar products all you have to do is enter "NSF/ANSI form release agent" in the Google Search engine.

NSF = National Sanitation Foundation.

ANSI = American National Standards Institute.

As an alternative to the above release agent you could always coat the concrete forms with beeswax. That is a cheap alternative to a chemically-based release agents.

Good luck!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Borrowdale Dan (1); CaptMoosie (4); Doorman (2); mike k (1)

Previous in Forum: Anti-Seismic System Placed in a Shaft of a Load-Bearing Structure   Next in Forum: Intersection Design - Bypass or Stoplight

Advertisement