CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: EX-85 Kumatsu Bulldozer   Next in Forum: Upgrading a Gen.set on a Pleasure Boat
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

24 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

Adhesive on Dashboard

04/27/2012 8:49 AM

Greetings All,

Getting ready to trade in my 07 Focus. When I first got the car I applied three small Velcro patches to hold an accessory on the dashboard.

As I suspected would happen due to sun baking, when I removed the patches yesterday the adhesive remained.

The adhesive is baked dry and is firmly adhered to the dashboard.

Anyone know of a method or product for safe removal without damaging the textured, plastic dashboard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJK

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1095

Re: Adhesive on Dashboard

04/27/2012 9:07 AM

I'd try a citrus based product such as De-Slov-It. (Not an endorsement) Just on the adhesive. Be patient and don't hurry.

You may want to mask around the spots to minimize the exposure of the rest of the dash.

Be sure everything is cool and not in the sun.

Take your time.

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

In reply to #1

04/27/2012 9:36 AM

Top O the Morning to you Lyn,

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go along with your advice.

I had never heard of this product so I just did a search and found that these fine retailers carry it:

Thanks again - KJK

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #3

04/27/2012 9:51 AM

Good luck with the project.

Citrus based cleaners don't have the nasty solvents that most other cleaners have. They are used in the PWB industry as a gentle cleaner.

You still may want to try some in "an inconspicuous place" on the dash to be sure it won't discolor the parent material.

My newest vehicle is 11 years old. I'm jealous.

In reply to #4

04/27/2012 3:08 PM

I will be careful with it and apply with a q-tip.

I read the can and me thinks we are good to go.

"My newest vehicle is 11 years old....."

Yes but yours probably looks and runs like new.

My 07 Focus looks like new inside and out but with my daily commute, I've racked up 189,000 miles.

She still gets 29 to 31 MPG.

I have had an excellent experience with this car, nothing major, not even anything minor (well not counting the 400lb buck last January).

Given the mileage, I figure that I am stepping into that "tempting fate" area and its best to cut any potential losses now.

The 12 Focus SFE is boasting 40MPG, is cheap, rides well and is fairly well built.

With gas at $3.99 here if I gain 8 to 10 MPG just think how healthy my beer allowance fund will be. Heck I may have enough to take up smoking again (just kidding)

In reply to #8

04/27/2012 3:31 PM

"My newest vehicle is 11 years old....."

You've got me beat on mileage, It's barely 5 miles from home to office for me. And yes, I have the luxury of parking in covered parking all the time. That's just a small perk of managing the parking in a city with a parking garage across the street from my office. (I park my company truck there, too, so I don't even have to walk across the street)

Just buy something you will be happy with, cause you spend a lot of time commuting.

Cheers.

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #1

04/30/2012 4:03 AM

I agree

Desolvit is a great product - it is also good for de-greasing your hands.....

Another alternative is Eucalyptus oil - very good for removing most adhesives and stains, and another natural product distilled mostly form the leaves of Melaleuca trees

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 584

04/27/2012 9:34 AM

To remove residue adhesives I've had good luck using WD-40 spray. I'm not sure if the oil or the carrier does the trick. While brief soakings (about a minute) did help to maximize softening the old adhesive, the iteration of spray and wipe seemed more important when this works.

Good Luck

In reply to #2

04/27/2012 2:44 PM

Hi redfred,

Went out at lunchtime and picked up some De-Solv-It.

Will try it after work.

I will keep the WD40 in mind as a backup.

Thanks for stopping by - KJK

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 446

04/27/2012 1:53 PM

Another thing that may work, is plain old cooking oil. Get a gauze bandage, soak in oil, using some painters or low tack hobby tape, tape the gauze over the spot, and let sit for 24-48 hours. It should wipe right off. From there you can wipe down the entire dash with some vinyl restorer.

In reply to #5

04/27/2012 2:51 PM

Hi kram,

Hey great tip.

Will use this as yet another back up.

Before posting here, I had no clue what to use being that the dash is plastic.

If figured anything I use would discolor the dark gray color.

I'm going to apply some de-solv-it with a q-tip and see what happens.

Any residue, I will use the WD40 or cooking oil to remove the remainder.

Thanks again for the tip - KJK

Good Answers: 18

04/28/2012 8:35 AM

Hi KJK,

I agree 100% with the WD40 method. I also use just plain turpentine most of the time and find that it does the job with very little risk of damage. I removed the baseplate for my GPS from the dashboard with no problems at all. I would however also caution you to work in the shade and check on an out of site area of the dashboard first.

Good luck!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 34

04/28/2012 8:57 AM

Along the same lines as the OP, I've done some damage to my dash, scratches, a few small holes, dings etc. Is there a product that can patch holes? Is there a product that can come close to matching the color? The scratches show white material under the dark grey color.

In reply to #11

04/30/2012 9:22 AM

Most decent auto parts stores will have vinyl repair kits...........even vinyl touch up paint in little jars, like nail polish. An online search might even turn up a product that is specific to your dash color.

In reply to #11

04/30/2012 9:28 AM

Hi Tom,

As far as the holes, I have used a product that came with some small containers of tinting resin that you mix to match from Pep Boys. I can't recall the name but I am sure they still carry these types of products.

My passed experience with holes is that unless you have a black dash, it is next to impossible to match the color and matching (or trying to) the texture can be a pain.

As far as scratches, I found this link which may help you out.

Hope your repair goes as well as mine did!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #18

04/30/2012 10:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I found some filler and a wood stain "pen" that did the trick.

Good enough for what I wanted anyway...not perfect, but OK!

Good Answers: 1

04/28/2012 9:42 AM

Any form of citrus oil will do the job. "Simple Green" usually works, too. Citrus oils will take labels off plastic bottles and jars without clouding the plastic. I used it to take old protective coating off a storm door that had been baking in the sun for three years (you know, that stuff they tell you to strip off before installing).

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 161

04/28/2012 4:04 PM

Any oil or fat will remove the residue. Just massage it in, let it work for an hour (not in direct sunlight) and off it comes.

Then use washing up liquid and water to remove the fat/oil.

Good Answers: 10

04/29/2012 7:21 PM

You might find a product called "Var X" good. I used it to remove adhesive from automotive paint - brilliant (glue was sticky not baked hard though). I believe it works on plastics too. The trouble is that the supplier here in Australia has gone bust and all I can find is this "VAR-X Adhesive Remover. When you are confronted with having to remove vinyl from a motor vehicle, sign board, shop window or any advertising area you can ..."
I believe that the product was imported, possibly from USA (but it may be local packaging/labelling). If you can get it, it's well worth having in your cupboard.

When I was trying to find it a while back, I Googled up "adhesive remover" and found a few other possibilities - I remember that there were some hits based around signs.

Good luck

Guru

04/30/2012 9:15 AM

A big THANK YOU to all that responded!

The De-Solv-It and Canola cooking oil worked great.

I dabbed on the De-Solv-It with a q-tip and let it set about 20 minutes.

Applied it a second time and let set for 20 minutes.

This removed most of the dried adhesive.

I then soaked a gauze patch with Canola and let it set on the area for an hour.

I took a piece of a wooden paint stirrer and rubbed it against the gauze patch over the area to remove the rest of the adhesive.

I did a once over with Armor All and the dash looks like new!

Thanks again everyone!

In reply to #16

04/30/2012 7:36 PM

I just love it when a project comes together.

In reply to #16

04/30/2012 7:50 PM

Well Done

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

04/30/2012 8:18 PM

You helped me too.

I had a total brain freeze going with the name "Armor All". I even googled and couldn't figure it out.

Thanks. It's been bugging me for a couple of days. Right on the tip of my tongue, and I couldn't get it.

In reply to #16

11/15/2013 9:15 AM

Hi KJK/USA!

Good day!

I just like to raise this kind of concern again and see if we have the same scenario.

I had this Anti-Slip Mat placed in front of the steering wheel with double sided tape and when I removed the mat as well as the sticky residue after more than a year. This is how it looks like now. Please check this link for actual photo. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/2c5t.jpg/

The surface is now smooth but the pattern of the Mat already marked in the dashboard and looks like a permanent thing.

Can you advice if there is still a remedy for this? i'm just hopeless at this moment. I tried almost everything like alcohol, acetone, vinegar, WD40, dishwasher liquid detergent, Microtex protectant.. but still the dried stain\mark remains.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

11/17/2013 6:21 PM

Have you tried eucalyptus oil

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Keith Grewar (1); KJK/USA (6); kramarat (3); lyn (4); Malcolm Stephen (1); QuantGem (1); redfred (1); teardrop (1); Tom_Consulting (2); WAWAUS (3)

Previous in Forum: EX-85 Kumatsu Bulldozer   Next in Forum: Upgrading a Gen.set on a Pleasure Boat

Advertisement