Sites: GlobalSpec.com | GlobalSpec Electronics | CR4 | Electronics360
Login | Register
The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Maximum Distance for Solar Mirror   Next in Forum: Energy From the Atmosphere
Close

Comments Format:

Close

Subscribe to Discussion:

CR4 allows you to "subscribe" to a discussion
so that you can be notified of new comments to
the discussion via email.

Close

Rating Vote:

10 comments
Active Contributor

Energy Audit

04/29/2012 3:20 PM

can anyone tell me how to conduct an energy audit of an industry ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 483

Re: energy audit

04/29/2012 3:37 PM

In reply to #1

04/29/2012 4:55 PM

sir, sorry, but the information provided is not of much relevance.

i will add to it

http://www.cee1.org/ind/mot-sys/ww/epri-audit.pdf

and http://minotaur.lbl.gov/china.lbl.gov/sites/china.lbl.gov/files/LBNL-3991E.Industrial_Energy_Audit_Guidebook.pdf

but, i need some ideas like, how to start. i have started with making the flow sheet for it. but i need to make it more detailed and for that i will also need some software for making it.

apart from that, after counting all the motors and pumps and lights, what other aspects do i have to look . ? ( include fuel also.)
what should be the basis of calculations ?

per hour, per day or per month ?

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1059
In reply to #3

04/29/2012 5:03 PM

Don't tell me. YOU are the energy consultant???????????????

Kindly tell us where you are located and the name of your "business".

You should start here: How to Search the Internet Effectively and then study the results of your search.

Or see #2 above.

What does your customer expect, and how did you get them? Did they issue a RFQ/RFP? Did you submit a quote/proposal?

What did you offer to do for your money?

Or, is this homework?

You may consider my response rude. I prefer to think of it as truthful.

Sorry, but if the truth hurts, maybe it should.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 218
In reply to #4

04/30/2012 7:49 AM

How better to get the public involved in energy conservation. Having the employees perform the audit at work. What they learn can be applied at home. When family and friends see what can be accomplish they will want to learn too.

There is relatively new government program that is doing just that. Mostly it this time has been directed at manufacturing here.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 557
In reply to #3

04/29/2012 6:08 PM

I honestly hate to be rude but it seems that you've either stolen a job away from a qualified energy audit engineer or you are trying to cheat your academic schooling into the qualification of an energy audit engineer. Why would we want you to even come close to succeeding in this fraud? Honestly this is like somebody claiming to be a carpenter asking an international group of woodworkers how does one cut wood? There is so much free information on the web for you to regurgitate and make a fool of yourself by not understanding what you just said. Do you understand at all the real meaning of one watt of power? Do you know the multiple units of energy used by the different engineering disciplines that an energy audit should entail? Do you have even a rudimentary understanding of thermodynamics and why exponential equations are used commonly in a thermodynamic analysis?

If I were you, I'd give them back the retaining fee you took for doing this audit to your customer. You might tell them what tasks you really are qualified to do but you must tell them you cannot perform an energy audit. You're not qualified.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 252
In reply to #3

04/29/2012 11:05 PM

Given your previous posts (which perhaps Lyn and redfred should have read a little closer) you may just be a company worker (or owner) trying to save some money by doing an audit yourself rather than hiring a professional to do it for you.

That being said there are a few previous threads on CR4 regarding energy auditing you could have a look at using the search function on the right-hand side of the page.

Additionally try an internet search for general information first, and come back if you have any specific questions.

Jack - The voice of reason

In reply to #6

04/29/2012 11:43 PM

Thnx Jack of all trades...

well its true i am a company worker ( and just a starter with 1 year workex) who has been given the project to save energy. Being an engineer, i thought, i can definitely take up this challenge ( and i will do it and share the results out here. I hope this will help others too.)

I definitely did my first hand research on it, but overlooked the search option in the forum. thanks for showing it ! :)

and @iyn and @redfred :

1) i am from india. and

2) i am not stealing anyone's job or money. Energy auditors reports and signatures are required to submit it to the government, which the company must be doing on their accord.

3) even your beloved government of the United States, support people doing energy on their own. ( thats why they build this software, ePeP plant energy profiler. here's the link : https://save-energy-now.org/em/tools/Pages/ePEP.aspx )

4) and yeah i gathered 1st hand information on lots of things, but i dont know where to start, as i am alone in this project. ( for your reference, you can see the above links of the ebooks which i have studied)

and please dont presume things @iyn.. you are an intelligent and learned man. I have read your responses earlier which instigated respect for you, but this kind of allegations !! its def. bad !

Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Location: Want to be: 34° 34' 21.60" N, 92° 55' 42.28" W Really am in Arizona
Good Answers: 1059

04/29/2012 4:50 PM

Hire an energy consultant.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain - possibly to become "South Scotland" or "Non-Caledonia" from September 2016. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 579

Re: Energy Audit

05/02/2012 6:15 AM

It's a complex topic, which is why only a local surveyor can see the issues.

Things to look at in no particular order:

• Style of lighting: are tungsten incandescents in use or something a bit more post-1973 in terms of lumens-per-watt?
  • Are road lights for use at night dazzling the neighbours a mile away or are they designed to direct a pool of light downwards only onto the roadways? Can lower wattage lamps be used because of the better design?
  • Building occupancy, its lighting and heating/cooling
  • Working hours versus daylight hours - is there scope to re-schedule the work to take advantage of natural daylight and warmth/coolth?
  • Timeswitches
  • Nag people to close doors and windows. How about fitting automatic door closers that are compliant with local fire safety regulations?
  • Thermostatic controls - virtually everywhere things are heated or cooled
  • Building or room occupancy detectors switching heating/cooling, lighting and other loads - are there too many computers left on overnight?
  • Levels of building insulation and utility line insulation- are they to modern construction standard thicknesses or are they lacking? An unlagged 12in steam line flange costs at least 5kW!
  • Energy tariffs, particularly electricity; is there scope to trim loads and take advantage of savings offered by peak demand tariff structures?
  • Power factor correction - a favourite topic here on CR4...
  • Gaseous, liquid and solid primary fuel consumption - are there better ways of doing what these fuels are used for? Are the boilers and engines that use them up to the latest standards in terms of energy economy, servicing and availability? Are the boilers optimised in terms of acceptable condensate re-use quality and blowdown frequency?
  • Could the work be done with six vehicles instead of eight, for example? Is there equipment standing idle that could be divested?
  • Net income value of work items done versus energy consumed doing those items
  • Scope for solar and wind energy capture - is it on top of a hill or does it have a huge flat roof that could be put to better use, for example?
  • Wastewater heat recovery
  • Steam use and condensate recovery for re-use
  • Water re-use
  • Building glazing upgrades
  • Passive heating/cooling techniques
  • Waste reduction/elimination - why is there so much waste and re-working of off-spec product? What can be done to stop making off-spec product in the first place (Japanese-championed manufacturing techniques)?
  • Etc.

It's basically Good Housekeeping. Above all, allow sufficient time for the detail of the study to be observed and evaluated. And once some changes have taken place, re-visit the facility and re-evaluate.

Priorities? Do the things that will produce easy wins first. Serious investment comes later, as does the justification, which will indicate the priorities. A priority is not something that is more important; a priority is what happens first.

There is a tendency to engineer grand schemes when a lot of little changes will make a huge difference. Be wary of this.

Re: Energy Audit

07/26/2012 3:52 PM

I am sure there are many different ways to conduct an energy audit for an industry. I would think they will be specific to the industry while having general components that could be applied to any industry. I just wrote a blog post on How to conduct an energy audit in a home that might be useful to you for this. https://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/blog/2012/07/conducting-a-home-energy-audit/

Hope this helps a bit.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BobbieADaley (1); diagon123 (2); jack of all trades (1); lyn (2); ozzb (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Maximum Distance for Solar Mirror   Next in Forum: Energy From the Atmosphere